Chelsea 3-1 Everton

BlueLion.

AVB is so dumb selecting Mikel over Meireles against Everton, a team who's only advantages are height strength and physicality.. and have a lot of threats from set pieces. Yes, he should have selected the shorter far less athletic man. How are you not a manager.

I find it amusing you turn to sarcasm to prove your point, because it makes you look like a child tbh :lol:

As for your hidden point, Miereles is stronger than you take him for. Just like we thought Ramires wasn't as strong as he looks. I think he would've done an adequate job while keeping the pace of the game alive.. I appreciate you disagreeing, but don't be such a child about it. xD

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I recall, AVB said in post-match that he wanted to do the opposite - kill the tempo after being 2/3-0 up, so Mikel was handy there.

I don't know. Mikel came off in the 76th minute, when we were 3-0 up. When Romeu came on, the pace quickened.

I find it amusing you turn to sarcasm to prove your point, because it makes you look like a child tbh :lol:

As for your hidden point, Miereles is stronger than you take him for. Just like we thought Ramires wasn't as strong as he looks. I think he would've done an adequate job while keeping the pace of the game alive.. I appreciate you disagreeing, but don't be such a child about it. xD

If he was the man to do the job he would've been selected. Ramires and Meireles ARE NOT TALL. They are shorter and lighter players. Meireles especially is probably the least strong or physical midfielder we have.

I've been making points and comments about football, you've been taking cute little personal jabs so you really shouldn't say anything about childishness.

If he was the man to do the job he would've been selected. Ramires and Meireles ARE NOT TALL. They are shorter and lighter players. Meireles especially is probably the least strong or physical midfielder we have.

The game didn't come down to strength though, imo. Only Fellani was the one who perhaps caused a problem in the aspects of that, but I don't think he would've been a problem had Mikel not played.

You're missing my point though. I talk in terms of the pace of the game, where I feel Mikel is slow and his retention tactics aren't valuable in situations where the opposing teams give us gaps to exploit, esp on the counter. Defensively I think the whole team is set up to play without a DMF.

The game didn't come down to strength though, imo. Only Fellani was the one who perhaps caused a problem in the aspects of that, but I don't think he would've been a problem had Mikel not played.

You're missing my point though. I talk in terms of the pace of the game, where I feel Mikel is slow and his retention tactics aren't valuable in situations where the opposing teams give us gaps to exploit, esp on the counter. Defensively I think the whole team is set up to play without a DMF.

With our poor defensive record so far, I think a DMF is actually needed... without it, we would be in even more trouble

Retention tactics? He's originally an attacking midfielder, do you know what instruction is? Its something a manager gives players....

Do you know of any successful high level squad that plays 4-3-3 without a DM? Hell, how about any successful squad regardless of formation?

We've looked so impenetrable on set pieces so far this season though so I understand why you'd rather have a small light player in the mid instead of a big strong one.

TBH, the game had its moments but was otherwise quite a dull affair.....

Positives were that we beat our bogey team after 6 years or so, we now know that no matter what, someone somewhere will score. One big change Solo Malouda for Team player mata .,,,,without malouda we are gold.(no disrespect)

Sturridge will become a legend,,,,very professional player,,,,he values every minute on the pitch as he has earnt his place in the starting 11....

Lampard and Mikel are both great players.

However, please dont play them both in the same team together. Change either of them, preferably Mikel....I say this is i noticed that lamps slows down his game while playing with mikel. Mikel is awesomeness but sometimes i feel he is like a computer program. If Essien can do the same job and still come ahead,score sometimes and make defense splitting balls, why cant mikel even show signs he is becoming better at any of them?

Ashley cole was solid... but the less i say about drogba the better. I watched heskey play before our match , and after our match i felt heskey played better than drogba.... however class is permanent,,,i just hope he is not unhappy or lacks motivation after becoming our second choice striker....

Kalou is being offered a new contract.

Kalou is being offered a new contract.

DROGBA WILL LEAVE SOON AND SO WILL ANELKA, THEN KALOU WILL BE OUR NO.2 STRIKER....

I hope lukaku comes good...he better!!

Retention tactics? He's originally an attacking midfielder, do you know what instruction is? Its something a manager gives players....

Do you know of any successful high level squad that plays 4-3-3 without a DM? Hell, how about any successful squad regardless of formation?

We've looked so impenetrable on set pieces so far this season though so I understand why you'd rather have a small light player in the mid instead of a big strong one.

I'm well aware of Mikel's previous position, but let's be fair now, every time we see Mikel get the ball, his instinct is not to go forward. He'll sit back, hold up the play and wait for everyone to be on the other end. This is not a good tactic as it nullifies our chance for counter attack, there were many examples of this in the Everton game.

Until we get a more attack minded DM, I don't see Mikel being a solution. Most teams, use their DM as a spark that begins the attack. Busquets and Xabi Alonso are very good at doing this, because they go forward more and can actually play with the ball.

Our players are stronger than you give them credit for. Especially Ramires.

If you looked properly, I only compared Xavi & Mikel because someone compared their stats. Which gave a false image of his role.

Just to be clear, I didn't compare their stats at all. I merely stated the numbers and said that they were in the Xavi category.

They're two players world apart in terms of position, style and responsibilities, which is precisely why I didn't bother responding to the user who ignorantly pointed out that Xavi makes more forward passes. That wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Just to be clear, I didn't compare their stats at all. I merely stated the numbers and said that they were in the Xavi category.

They're two players world apart in terms of position, style and responsibilities, which is precisely why I didn't bother responding to the user who ignorantly pointed out that Xavi makes more forward passes. That wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Nah, don't worry, I understood.

Someone else missed the point..

I'm well aware of Mikel's previous position, but let's be fair now, every time we see Mikel get the ball, his instinct is not to go forward. He'll sit back, hold up the play and wait for everyone to be on the other end. This is not a good tactic as it nullifies our chance for counter attack, there were many examples of this in the Everton game.

Until we get a more attack minded DM, I don't see Mikel being a solution. Most teams, use their DM as a spark that begins the attack. Busquets and Xabi Alonso are very good at doing this, because they go forward more and can actually play with the ball.

Your posts regarding Mikel are spot on LDN, many points I have already raised in the past but got sent to Coventry for! I'm not going to harp on about Mikel as you have summed that up perfectly but I will add that the one thing that I think is pertinent (I stated before) was that we don't need a DM against teams that 'park the bus' & this is especially relevant at home.

For the record, Mikel had a decent game (Saha exploiting his lack of pace apart - could be costly in another game) & can see why AVB selected him, but I think this game was only won because we got that vital second goal at the right time & we have unearthed a gem of a footballer in Mata. In recent seasons Everton have always had that ability to get back in the game when they were only 1 goal behind, the second goal took the wind out of their sails & that coupled with having a player with the artistry & vision in Mata, we have a player that gives us many different options to win games like this.

goalkeeper: cech

defense: bosingwa - ivanovic - terry - cole

midfield: ramires (malouda 64min.) - lampard - mikel (romeu 76min.)

attack: sturridge - drogba - mata (anelka 64min.)

we won another important 3 premier league points and this vs everton

cool.. we won another important 3 premier league points and this vs everton.. we could not win 6 years vs everton at the stamford bridge!!

cool.. our captain john terry scored on his 350 league appearance!!

cool.. my african ramires scored another premier league goal!!

cool.. my african daniel sturridge scored another premier league goal!!

damn.. my russian diniyar bilyaletdinov didn´t start for everton.. i meen damn what is the problem??

i hope our russian boss roman abramovich will sign this fantastic midfielder!!

Why do we even have defenders??? Why don't we just start 5 forwards and 5 attacking mids?

Mikel plays the way he's instructed to play, just like all the players. His job isn't to give possession away, period. Alonso and Busquets play in a really weak league which barely pressures any DMs ever and also the games have a very slow pace compared to the EPL. So its fine for them to ping balls up field because there is space and if possession is lost no one is going to threaten on the counter. I mean, this stuff goes without saying...