Chelsea 3-1 Everton

BlueLion.

I was watching today Chelsea vs Everton from 2009.2010 season. I was surprised how I had forgotten how good Drogs was. A totally different player than what we saw today. I'm afraid the old Drogba is long gone and won't be back.

Just like Lampard was thought to be done and dusted?

No the player is more or less still there, but Drogba just doesn't seem motivated enough in the last two matches...He didn't seem to show the will to beat the last man (when he easily could shrug him off) and find the back of the net..

Maybe he feels that he has a lesser role to play this season and is refraining from going to his thunderous best.From the looks of things, he might feel (and certainly I feel) that he's nothing more than a stand-in for Torres. If that's true, I'm just grateful he's doing a decent job in the build-up play and not just being a waste of space on the pitch.

Edit:But I think all this could change, and our squad players will show more enthusiasm when there are more telling signs of us winning a trophy this season. Similar to how our squad played in the second half of 09-10

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it isn't Torres or Lampard who's being pilloried, it's Drogba. You've got to expect some rustiness with the injury, it's prolonged recovery period and the international break. I'd be more concerned if he put in this kind of a performance after having played regularly for 2-3 weeks.

Anyway, not going to focus on individuals as it was a great team effort with everyone pulling together in the right direction. It was important to get the right result immediately after the intl break as we often lose momentum during such weeks. That the right result and mentality comes against our bogey team makes it all the more sweeter. The second goal and the timing of it killed them, I thought. 1-0 at HT and they would've fancied themselves to get something out of it. Barring the lack of concentration on their goal we hardly put a foot wrong, even the dreaded high line worked well.

Good point. We usually stumble after long international breaks, but we came out strong.

It's funny actually that we have strikers like Torres, Drogba, Anelka and Lukaku yet neither can score goals on regular basis :D

I think its because both drogba and anelka aren't good enough anymore, lukakus too young and inexperienced atm and therefore isn't getting a game, and torres has just been unlucky and is no longer the player he was

However Xavi passes the ball forward and takes more risks.

Xavi also plays the way he's been schooled to since a teenager, in the same system completely based around him and his style, and his team gets totally protected.

I for one didn't enjoy watching that game very much, the whole tiki taka style I find reallyyyyyyy boring and I don't think I was alone going by how silent the bridge was for stretches at a time.

Miereles, even Romeu, could have kept up with Fellani. Both those players give us an attacking edge, they initiate counter attacks and even general ones.

I've always defended Mikel's role.. In the old system. This new style, with the high defensive line, and defensive awareness of all the players (Lampard, Mata et al.) all nullified the need for a literal DMF.

Miereles is not a DMF. He's a central player, who will attack more than attack, which could've really helped us today. We should've scored more goals and at times we didn't because Mikel still played the "retention" game. This is not needed now. The system can work without such a defensive player.

Are you serious? Raul is defensively and physically waif-like compared to Mikel and while Raul maybe a bit more direct he isn't a better passer of the ball. Oriol on the other hand is not even close to the class of Mikel, he could get there but right now he's inferior to Mikel in every way.

We're trying to play Barca or Porto style possession football and in such a system you must have a quality DMF. its just fact.