The F1 Thread

Kez

6 hours ago, Strike said:

It was like football with my mates. You play for hours and suddenly someone says "Next goal wins"

Could be construed as worse than that.  We are 89 minutes into the World Cup final - England are winning 3-0. Belgium get a penalty. As the player is running up to take the kick, the referee decides that it's 'next goal wins' 🤣

1 minute ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Hamilton had to go through those cars in real time, Verstappen didn’t. He even admitted that, had the race played out without Latifi’s misjudgment, there is no way he would have caught Hamilton. It became the finale F1 wanted, except Hamilton’s tyres were older and slower and he was at a huge disadvantage.

It was a stolen title — by the stewards, by the race director, by the need for drama. And that’s not Red Bull’s fault. They, Verstappen, did nothing wrong. He just wasn’t the best driver on the day.

Sure, Verstappen got the luck that he needed and Christian Horner said it as much that they needed intervention from the racing gods with 10 laps to go but again, that's motor racing at the end of the day. Some times, it throws a stupid curveball at you. 

From an entertainment perspective, no one would have been pleased had the race finished and the title won behind a safety car, apart from Mercedes. All the more reason perhaps that a red flag should have perhaps been called so that the last 5 laps or so were able to play out instead of wasted behind the safety car. Who knows if Verstappen could have caught up had he been able to get pass those cars. 

It was hardly a stolen title when the stewards have made some dumb calls throughout the season. Verstappen may not have been the best driver on the day but he was the best driver across the 22 races. More race wins (even before yesterday) and more pole positions. 

1 minute ago, Jase said:

It was hardly a stolen title when the stewards have made some dumb calls throughout the season. Verstappen may not have been the best driver on the day but he was the best driver across the 22 races. More race wins (even before yesterday) and more pole positions. 

Yeah stolen in terms of 'entertainment', and doubtless the story will now be sold to Netflix.  Mercedes would do well to just say they will come back stronger next season. Will still watch it but as a drama rather than a 'sport'.

1 minute ago, Jase said:

For someone who is not an F1 fan, you sure are commenting a lot here. 😄

I know I just thought it ridiculous 😄 Might go to Belgian one next year seems the cheapest - been to any races yourself ?

4 hours ago, Jase said:

Isn't that like football as well? Like one team could be dominating the ball and look the most likeliest to win the game but they suddenly get sucker-punched with a late goal and lose the game.

Yes, Red Bull got very lucky with that random crash by Latifi and yes, that late call was controversial but at the same time, let's not act as if Hamilton and Mercedes haven't gotten favorable decisions from the stewards this season. If they had applied the rules correctly, Verstappen might well have won the title before we even got to the final stages of the season. 

I don't know what the exact rules are but if the stewards didn't want to end the race/championship behind a safety car (am sure no one else wants that either, except maybe for Mercedes), then not sure why they didn't just call the red flag so that we would have had at least 5-6 laps for them to race instead of the one lap shootout (as exciting as it was). 

Also, the only thing that was helping Hamilton in the final few laps was those cars between him and Verstappen. Without those cars, Hamilton was a complete sitting duck because he was on a much older tyres compared to Verstappen. And kudos to Red Bull for taking calculated risks with the pit stops. Paid off handsomely while Mercedes were being too conservative. 

At least a last minute sucker punch from the inferior team in football is settled on the pitch. This race was settled by the race director. Something totally out of Hamilton’s control takes away the sports biggest prize. I’ve seen people much more knowledgeable than I am say that Lewis had basically the perfect race. He was flawless. For the win to be taken away on a technicality just feels rotten.

As mentioned in here already, it would be like the referee in football suddenly reinterpreting the handball rule or something 85 minutes into the match that screws over the winning team.

Again though, I’m not raging or depressed like a lot of Lewis fans are since I don’t support Mercedes. But it still sucks.

Not going to lie, not a huge fan of Hamilton and whilst there was controversy, seeing him lose made my day. Still think Verstappen deserved it over the course of all the races.

Daniel Ricciardio doing a ‘shoey’ after winning the Italian Grand Prix in September is still a personal favourite moment also for all the races this year I’d seen 😂 

5 hours ago, Pizy said:

At least a last minute sucker punch from the inferior team in football is settled on the pitch. This race was settled by the race director. Something totally out of Hamilton’s control takes away the sports biggest prize. 

He should just prevented Max overtaking him in the last lap? 

2 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

He should just prevented Max overtaking him in the last lap? 

On ancient tires while Max had fresh softs? Max shouldn’t have even been there anyways. He should’ve had to fight through 5 cars that the director conveniently moved out of the way for him for dramas sake.

22 minutes ago, Pizy said:

On ancient tires while Max had fresh softs? Max shouldn’t have even been there anyways. He should’ve had to fight through 5 cars that the director conveniently moved out of the way for him for dramas sake.

But it's said to be against normal protocol to not allow the lapped cars to overtake. Hence, why Red Bull initially complained. Even Alonso said Verstappen should be ahead of him and the other lapped cars and not behind them.

The problem, if anything, was Masi first said those 5 lapped cars can't overtake and then suddenly allowed them to do so.

2 minutes ago, Jase said:

The problem, if anything, was Masi first said those 5 lapped cars can't overtake and then suddenly allowed them to do so.

Exactly. The way I see it: He actually tried to protect Hamilton with that decision and 'kill' a couple of laps but once he realised that would be most embarrassing end of the season and pressure he faced he compromised and gave RB just one lap which thankfully was enough. 

Once again, Hamilton should have been punished early in the race. 

In this season both Hamilton and Bottas crushed Max and took 35-50 points from him. Also Lewis got new car like 5 races ago and was much better after that. Suspect... 

Can't believe his fans are suddenly complaining when in fact Masi/Lewis is love story like Barca/Ovrebo. 

13 hours ago, Pizy said:

At least a last minute sucker punch from the inferior team in football is settled on the pitch. This race was settled by the race director. Something totally out of Hamilton’s control takes away the sports biggest prize. I’ve seen people much more knowledgeable than I am say that Lewis had basically the perfect race. He was flawless. For the win to be taken away on a technicality just feels rotten.

As mentioned in here already, it would be like the referee in football suddenly reinterpreting the handball rule or something 85 minutes into the match that screws over the winning team.

Again though, I’m not raging or depressed like a lot of Lewis fans are since I don’t support Mercedes. But it still sucks.

Yeah. Its not sport when this happens. They clearly manipulated for maximum box office

• 2 months later...

The FIA SACKS race director 'sack of shit' Michael Masi after his controversial handling of the Abu Dhabi GP... but Max Verstappen's F1 title triumph WON'T be overturned after he beat Lewis Hamilton. ''Bunch of corrupt cunts'', say fans