Raul Meireles

chrismada9

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What pisses me off most about this signing is that we've had about 3 months to either sign Modric or a similar sort of player and have ended with Liverpool's 5th choice utility midfielder.

This has been a massive let down.

Very harsh. He was the only good thing about Liverpool last season and therefore won the Liverpool Player of the Year award. He won the PFA Fans' Player of the Year award too. He's a good player and most importantly, he's intelligent and he loves to move(!).

I think he'll surprise a lot people here looking at most of the comments.

Liverpool fans on RM:

.. now Meireles.

He's (was) one of our best midfielders. Deffo better than Speo, Maxi, Kuyt and Shelvey.

In addition he had qualities that we lack; creativity & ability to both pass, cross and shoot a ball.

Also I hear we're only getting £10-12mill for him.

sh*t deal.

We look a better side with Raul playing, more fluid in attack

so they rate him as great player.

I think people will find if they speak to any respectable Liverpool fan they'll admit they're disappointed to see him go. I have no idea why Dalglish played Adam and Lucas infront of him?!

Kenny seemed to want an English identity to the team. Really strange because Meireles was played out of his normal central position a lot last year to accomodate Gerrard, Poulsen (!), and whatever other crazy thoughts Roy had. He still managed to have a very good season for them and was a LFC fan favorite.

Well, not the player fans were looking for, but at least we got a new midfielder and Meireles is not a bad choice especially since Andre seemed to want him. The only thing that annoys me is that we probably paid LIVERPOOL a little too much for him. But I can't really complain with how things went this summer, and I'm really looking forward to our new team under Andre.

Welcome to Chelsea, Raul.

Calmed down a bit now :P. Still gutted we haven't signed the pace dictator and playmaker we so desperately need, but I think Merieles could play well in a team which is trying to play a more fast paced tempo. If we replace Lampard with Merieles, Mikel with Romeu and Anelka with Sturridge (the three players who slow down our play the most) - I think AVB's system will work a lot better.

I for one am very pleased with the signing, mikel, essien, lamps, ramires, merieles, mcheachran, romeu to compete for 3 places in middle. essien out and mikel will be at african nations if we hadnt of signed someone like him we wud be so reliant on lampard and ramires for a month or so. Competitions great and doesnt come with the pressure that modric wud of carried. Much better signing than modric in my opinion.

Glad I wasn't around on TC when this went through :lol:

My take:

He's a good box-to-box midfield player, so maybe, this could've been a good signing.

But.

We've got ENOUGH box-to-box players, or players in that defensive nature. Mikel, Ramires, the returning Essien. Hell even Josh McEachran. Therefore, this signing makes no sense on an individual basis.

I'm not disappointed that it's this player we've signed. I'm disappointed that this is the only player we've signed.

Good player to have. Decent fee paid.

It's a shame he's coming as an only signing. That's the reason people are angry, not because of him specifically. I think the knee-jerking is allowed in this case, ease up on such people guys :lol: