Juan Mata

Severinb

Already one PL goal behind Torres. Embarrassing facepalm.gif but shows that when he is played in his preferred position he will come up with the goods. Two games in the no.10 position and three goals.

Meh, I still think it was the right decision to sell him. I don't think Mourinho's system or style of play is one that allows players like Mata to excel. I rather have the 37 million, which can be put towards strengthening weak areas than a talented, unhappy player wasting away on our bench.

Funny thing is that for months many kept on pushing the "Mata only took us to 3rd place" narrative to diminish his performances last season but yet it's entirely possible we might finish 3rd again. Ironic.

The only thing that is missing from Mata's game as a footballer is that physical capabilities such as having good stamina, pace, energy. His defensive workrate was an issue to begin with but he improved on it under Mourinho. Otherwise, he pretty much has the technical capabilities and that quick thinking to play those incisive passes, creating chances in tight situations or out of nothing. Basically, doing the things that we saw him did for us in the last 2 seasons. The funny thing about this whole situation is that I was thinking earlier if only we could merge him with Ramires. I mean, Ramires is like the opposite of Mata. Has all the physical capabilities to fit into Mourinho's system but lack the brain and technical prowess on the ball to truly flourish in the setup. Combine those two up and we would have a great player on our hands but shame that wasn't the case in any way..

Mata has really started being influential for United, and I wish him all the best for his performances....

But I really, really cannot see him doing the stuff that Salah and Willian were doing today, with their defensive work-rate, pressing and eagerness to run with the ball. It might have worked in a different kind of team, but not in the one we seem to be building for the future.

The problem with Mata at United is Rooney playing as #10 both Mata and Kagawa are better in that position than Rooney. So either United starts using Rooney up top; or they won't utilize Mata correctly.

He would still be our second best attacking midfielder after Hazard; pity Jose doesn't rate him for his system. Like I said back when he was sold it would have been a lot better if we kept him until the summer. Simply right now as Oscar's form isn't particularly good he would have been a great option.

The only thing that is missing from Mata's game as a footballer is that physical capabilities such as having good stamina, pace, energy. His defensive workrate was an issue to begin with but he improved on it under Mourinho. Otherwise, he pretty much has the technical capabilities and that quick thinking to play those incisive passes, creating chances in tight situations or out of nothing. Basically, doing the things that we saw him did for us in the last 2 seasons. The funny thing about this whole situation is that I was thinking earlier if only we could merge him with Ramires. I mean, Ramires is like the opposite of Mata. Has all the physical capabilities to fit into Mourinho's system but lack the brain and technical prowess on the ball to truly flourish in the setup. Combine those two up and we would have a great player on our hands but shame that wasn't the case in any way..

Agree such as shame that he can't flourish in Mou system.

When he is allowed to play as no free role no 10, it is just fantastic how he can dominate a game with his movement and passing.