Juan Mata

Severinb

hopefully he wins the euro then maybe he'll be satisfied enough, i think if they dont win the euros then he'll surely want to play the olympics, but if they win the euros then it'lll be pretty easy to convince him otherwise regarding the olympics.

I agree witht the above post, considering Santi Cazorla who is ahead of him as well I think. Will be a shame though, that is why squad depth is vital. Marin/Hazard/Hulk look a fearful three even without Mata and if Hulk doesnt come we still have Sturridge and Ramires.

I'm not sure how much he'll play for Spain in the Euros with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, and Silva ahead of him on the VDB roster. He probably knows that too which is another reason why he wants to play in the Olympics.

True but all the training and whatever game time he gets in Euros and then possibly in the Olympics will take its toll at some point especially after we flogged him to death last season. Think some might be forgetting or taking his no-injury record for granted a bit. We will be playing at least 50 games next season and IF he were to pick up any serious injury in the Olympics, people would then be questioning why he was allowed to play there!

I'm not sure how much he'll play for Spain in the Euros with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, and Silva ahead of him on the VDB roster. He probably knows that too which is another reason why he wants to play in the Olympics.

It's not about the time he plays and the effort he puts in but that he will miss the pre-season.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Mata IS going to the Olympics this summer.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-give-juan-mata-olympics-894879

"I have confirmed with Chelsea that I can play the Olympics," said Mata, who is part of Spain's Euro 2012 squad but was an unused sub for their first two games.

"It's something I have agreed with the Spanish federation, and I don't want to change.

"My dream is to play and win the gold in London. After winning a lot with Chelsea last season, that would be another great honour."

:doh:

The lad wants to win an Olympic medal, what athlete wouldn't? I wouldn't want to pass up the chance to win one for the sake of a pre-season run out against the Seattle Sounders or Man City in the Charity Shield.

Of course no-one wants him coming back burnt out or injured, but Juan Mata knows Juan Mata and if he thinks he can do it all, good luck to the boy.

Its shame... So he will miss the CS, some PL games, and the preseason. We should prohibit this whole thing....Excellent.... I know, this is honour and pleasure form him, but really? The olympics is not the Euro or the WC... Im very disappointed. He should reject the possibility. He will be tired like shit on the next season, and he is our maybe best player, and he will not fight for us in CS, and in some other important games. For me as a Chelsea fan, I really disappointed in him.

Its shame... So he will miss the CS, some PL games, and the preseason. We should prohibit this whole thing....Excellent.... I know, this is honour and pleasure form him, but really? The olympics is not the Euro or the WC... Im very disappointed. He should reject the possibility. He will be tired like shit on the next season, and he is our maybe best player, and he will not fight for us in CS, and in some other important games. For me as a Chelsea fan, I really disappointed in him.

Oh behave, any footballer would jump at the chance to represent their country at the olympics, it may not be the Euro's or WC but it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for the player as an individual. The olympics is the biggest sporting event in the world & to say you played in one as a player is quite an achievement. Fair play to him I hope he does well.