Can already see the difference

Tomo

AVB was testing out he changed the formation. It would be a totally different story if we had scored. At the end of the day all you can do is gamble, no ones psychic and I don't think it's unwise choice by AVB at all. I wouldn't say he messed up the formation at all, he prety much done better than kalou in 20 mins than kalou all game.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's basic football fickleness. If we'd have won we'd be raving about a very good performance.

Yeah.

To be honest, the only "difference" I saw was a sharper Torres & high defensive line. Need to see the new squad additions soon..

I'm fine w the tactics, I meant the football showed is more positive. Theres more urgency in the 2nd half.

What I dislike is the players who are drawing huge salaries and yet underperformed. No point signalling out which players but I believe you guys know who are the culprits. These players ought to return the club half of their salary and forgo all their appearance fees.

I hate to say it but I think AVB made a couple of mistakes with subs, namely: Drogba for kalou and Youssi for Torres because drogba brought very very few to the match and torres was by far our best player on the field and the most likely to score.

But to be fair AVB didn't have better choices on the bench but it was probably better if he had left the squad as it was or maybe Youssi for mikel.

I think Torres was tired at the end. But agree Youssi for Mikel because he would have served Torres better then Malouda and Kalou, they just dont link with him and that has been since day one!.

Yes the result today was dis-apointing but The Brittania is one of the hardest places to play in the league, but the performance difference is easy to see already.

Fernando Torres and Jose Bosingwa

What the fucking hell has happened, Torres was incredible today, absolutely incredible hungry, making runs very unlucky not to get a goal and Bosingwa looked a completely different player In My Opinion. Very good from them two.

Pressure and ball retention

64% possesion in a small pitch against a team that are constantly in your faces says it all, we made good passes and movement's on the ball, yes wasted a few but look like Barca in comparision to last season, and we were good with our pressure to get the ball back especially in the second half.

Urgency

What hurt the most about last season was how easy teams held out to 1/3 points against us as we showed little to no urgency in the latter stages, today as longer as the second half went on we were making Stoke sweat blood and tears to get that point something that i was screaming at the tele for last season so im more than happy about that aspect.

ITS ONLY DAY ONE

Remember that, Guardiola's first Barca game was a loss against a newly promoted side, United did not win their first four games when they won the treble or their first three in 07/08 and those season's didn't go bad. 2 out of United's last 3 titles came after opening day stalemates. Apart from the top United and City, IMO this is the hardest place to win.

All signs bode to a succesful season.

Agreed, but again it has shown us that we need the so long awaited creative midfielder and a tricky winger. Look at United today, 1-1, Young takes the ball and BAM they get 3 points. Can you expect Kalou or Malouda to do that?

I agree however I think Kalou shouldnt start. Drogba should play right wing sometimes, alongside Nando. Mikel also shouldn't start, good player but doesnt suit our style of play, he always slows the tempo! McEachran should always start. I still think we need an attacking midfielder/playmaker and a right winger. Lets hope we get 2 more players.

Also, where was Luiz?

Torres was outstanding today. Too bad he didn't get a goal, but looks like he's back to his old self. Bosingwa was very impressive as well driving up forward and being solid at the back, but he really needs to work on his crossing.

Despite the positives, it was quite frustrating overall. It was nice everyone was up for this one, but they need to improve their passing and need some ideas. We really need to find someone to replace Lampard as his passing is not as sharp and penetrating as it used to be. I think we'd be better off now if Lampard assumed a defensive role.

All of our 'wingers' were absolute shit as usual, though. Kalou looked hopeless. I know he has the skills, but he lacks ideas. If he wants to get past a defender, he needs to stop, think and either lose the ball or luckily put the ball through his legs. I guess Andre can help him improve, but I told myself that when Scolari and Ancelotti first came. Malouda on the other hand doesn't look like a starter anymore. As was the case last season, he disappeared after the first half only to reappear when he blasted one at Begovic and when he was substituted. Anelka was, as usual, frustratingly undetermined and slow tempoed. I don't know what the hell he was thinking when he decided to pass it short to Kalou inside our own box when he should've cleared, or when he was just strolling around with the ball near the penalty area with only 3 minutes to go. I don'

I hope things will change when Sturridge returns, but even then we'll only have one good wing forward and have to fill up the other side with a shitty one. So hopefully, today's result would force the board to get a new winger.

I agree however I think Kalou shouldnt start. Drogba should play right wing sometimes, alongside Nando. Mikel also shouldn't start, good player but doesnt suit our style of play, he always slows the tempo! McEachran should always start. I still think we need an attacking midfielder/playmaker and a right winger. Lets hope we get 2 more players.

Also, where was Luiz?

Injured

Not really injured now, just lacking a bit of fitness.

Is this thread about Torres? Cus thats the only difference I saw from last year. Best man on the pitch by far. Kalou should NEVER EVER START!!!!....Yossi should have started.

Malouda needs to go. He looks like a midfielder converted into a winger. We need fast, pacy wide players and we got one in Studge, we just need another on the left in place of malouda. Get in Mata or Turan along with Modric and we are set but if we continue with players like anelka and malouda on left, we are looking at another poor season.

Lampard, Malouda, Kalou were all poor today.

Torres, Ramirez, Bosingwa, Alex, Mikel were on their game.

Cech didnt have to do much apart from catching those crosses from Delap while Terry and Cole were decent enough.

16 days to go, and if we dont bring in Modric and Mata/Turan, we can kiss the title good bye.

Is this thread about Torres? Cus thats the only difference I saw from last year. Best man on the pitch by far. Kalou should NEVER EVER START!!!!....Yossi should have started.

Malouda needs to go. He looks like a midfielder converted into a winger. We need fast, pacy wide players and we got one in Studge, we just need another on the left in place of malouda. Get in Mata or Turan along with Modric and we are set but if we continue with players like anelka and malouda on left, we are looking at another poor season.

Lampard, Malouda, Kalou were all poor today.

Torres, Ramirez, Bosingwa, Alex, Mikel were on their game.

Cech didnt have to do much apart from catching those crosses from Delap while Terry and Cole were decent enough.

16 days to go, and if we dont bring in Modric and Mata/Turan, we can kiss the title good bye.

Turan has already signed for Atlectio Madrid - a substitue for Agüero

Otherwise spot on