Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Is there really or is this just wishful thinking? Utd tried this for two years with him and couldn't do it. Everyone who actually watched him in Italy said that the reason he did ok over there was due to the standard there and the space he got and it had nothing to do with any real tangible improvements in his game. 

Personally, I just don't see it; other than us ripping up the formation and play style, which is just plain madness.

Lukaku has too many know qualities/failings to think he is going to suddenly improve his weaknesses at 29 and be able to do all of this. I mean even if we give him some of Maradonna's Finest Colombian Marching Power before every game and he starts running around like a mad man, what can be done about his first touch and link up play? 

Sorry, but I really do not believe that this is true and it was just paper talk. Pep is the man that dropped, a then only slightly declining, Kun from his team and told him that he had to learn to press as a part of a unit before he could get a starting XI role and his link play and touch was light-years ahead of Lukaku's. 

Well its both really.

We need it to work because he’s clearly not going anywhere anytime soon (look at how long it took to shift Torres, Kepa now potentially and think about how long it may take with Werner come the summer if he doesn’t buck up his ideas) because 1) its still only been near half a season and 2) he cost £100m. Throw in on top we aren’t spunking another £100m on a CF anytime soon despite people living in a fantasy land thinking thats how football works. 

People need to wake up and accept there isn’t just an easy fix or it isn’t FIFA where we can just sell Lukaku 6 months or 1 year after buying him for £100m so there will have to be someway that he gets used and is used effectively. 

I don’t think it’s implausible that he cannot score goals in this team and that at the same time this team cannot be a good team. Theres too many good players here for it all to go to fuck because of one players limitations. And the managers far too good too for everything to seemingly go up in smoke because of one player and that limitations.

Or barring that, then this group of players and manager is not what we all think it is (which is ludicrous to think). 

22 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Well its both really.

We need it to work because he’s clearly not going anywhere anytime soon (look at how long it took to shift Torres, Kepa now potentially and think about how long it may take with Werner come the summer if he doesn’t buck up his ideas) because 1) its still only been near half a season and 2) he cost £100m. Throw in on top we aren’t spunking another £100m on a CF anytime soon despite people living in a fantasy land thinking thats how football works. 

People need to wake up and accept there isn’t just an easy fix or it isn’t FIFA where we can just sell Lukaku 6 months or 1 year after buying him for £100m so there will have to be someway that he gets used and is used effectively. 

I don’t think it’s implausible that he cannot score goals in this team and that at the same time this team cannot be a good team. Theres too many good players here for it all to go to fuck because of one players limitations. And the managers far too good too for everything to seemingly go up in smoke because of one player and that limitations.

Or barring that, then this group of players and manager is not what we all think it is (which is ludicrous to think). 

I agree this is not FIFA which is why I was going bananas when he got linked. I said at the time, he would end up being a millstone because you can't buy someone for his sort of fee/wages and then get rid if it doesn't work (especially at his age.) 

I am happy for things to get tweaked and to try and get him working in the system, however from watching him extensively I just don't see how it is possible with his skill set. On the other hand, I also refuse to accept a change in formation or style to accommodate him as this will be detrimental to the rest of the squad and he really isn't a player of such greatness that making such a change will be worthwhile. 

I mean let's be serious, what is happening now with him is exactly what I and a number of others pointed out would happen with him. This didn't take a footballing genius to work out so this form of his and his lack of chemistry in TT's system should not come as a surprise to anyone.

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Well its both really.

It may not be FIFA but there's nothing stopping us relegating him to a squad role price tag or no price tag.

Grealish (£100m) is in and out of the City team and often subbed off when he does start while Pepe (£72m) is now firmly a squad player at Arsenal. There's nothing to stop us doing likewise for Lukaku if it benefits the team, to which point he will hopefully have his trademark sulk and force his way out, if he doesn't okay we have a different option in the squad all be it an expensive different option.

Maybe there is an element of trying to convince myself a bit because ,frankly, the thought of this teams potential being squandered because Lukaku is untouchable makes me want to throw up.

Edited by Tomo

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

It may not be FIFA but there's nothing stopping us relegating him to a squad role price tag or no price tag.

Grealish (£100m) is in and out of the City team and often subbed off when he does start while Pepe (£72m) is now firmly a squad player at Arsenal. There's nothing to stop us doing likewise for Lukaku if it benefits the team, to which point he will hopefully have his trademark sulk and force his way out, if he doesn't okay we have a different option in the squad all be it an expensive different option.

Maybe there is an element of trying to convince myself a bit because ,frankly, the thought of this teams potential being squandered because Lukaku is untouchable makes me want to throw up.

Yeah definitely using him in certain games/not giving him a guaranteed start every week is likely the way to go until we figure out how to get regular goals at the top end of the pitch. 

Still, he isn’t a write off either and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of Timo, Hakim and Christian find themselves on the chopping block before Rom does transfer wise. There are others who think we can/should sell him though as if its easily done and go and spunk another £100m or whatever on other players though ie Haaland, which won’t happen.

As you’ve said the sulk/wanting to leave is really the only way he will leave because nobody will try and sign him outright from us already considering he cost 100m.

3 hours ago, King Kante said:

I agree this is not FIFA which is why I was going bananas when he got linked. I said at the time, he would end up being a millstone because you can't buy someone for his sort of fee/wages and then get rid if it doesn't work (especially at his age.) 

I am happy for things to get tweaked and to try and get him working in the system, however from watching him extensively I just don't see how it is possible with his skill set. On the other hand, I also refuse to accept a change in formation or style to accommodate him as this will be detrimental to the rest of the squad and he really isn't a player of such greatness that making such a change will be worthwhile. 

I mean let's be serious, what is happening now with him is exactly what I and a number of others pointed out would happen with him. This didn't take a footballing genius to work out so this form of his and his lack of chemistry in TT's system should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Whilst I agree in a way, there are still going to be games where we create a lot and don’t score enough (Manchester United and Burnley) which will bite us in the arse, especially when we are clearly in the title race and have already cocked up 4 points that could of been very useful due to poor chance conversion and now City and Liverpool starting to look like they are in the sort of shape to put a good run together. 

Lukaku’s more prolific and I don’t think any of those other attackers will outscore him this season. Goals are a big issue. How Rom fits into the team and we remain a successful and effective team, I don’t know, but its not as if it cannot be done regardless of him limitations. Same way in how its not impossible for a combination of the other attackers to play together. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

7 minutes ago, Strike said:

I hope Conte convinces the Spurs board to trade Lukaku for Kane

Saw comments like that on many places... Did people forget what Conte said about Kane in 2017? No chance that is happening. Newcastle is our best bet.

Conte bought Spaniard Alvaro Morata for £65million to lead his attack — but said: “If I had to buy one striker, I’d go for Kane.
“For me, Kane is one of the best strikers in the world. He is just a complete striker.

“If you go to buy Kane now, it would be at least £100m. If I see this price for a striker, I know for sure he’s a big striker.”

18 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Yeah definitely using him in certain games/not giving him a guaranteed start every week is likely the way to go until we figure out how to get regular goals at the top end of the pitch. 

Still, he isn’t a write off either and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of Timo, Hakim and Christian find themselves on the chopping block before Rom does transfer wise. There are others who think we can/should sell him though as if its easily done and go and spunk another £100m or whatever on other players though ie Haaland, which won’t happen.

As you’ve said the sulk/wanting to leave is really the only way he will leave because nobody will try and sign him outright from us already considering he cost 100m.

Whilst I agree in a way, there are still going to be games where we create a lot and don’t score enough (Manchester United and Burnley) which will bite us in the arse, especially when we are clearly in the title race and have already cocked up 4 points that could of been very useful due to poor chance conversion and now City and Liverpool starting to look like they are in the sort of shape to put a good run together. 

Lukaku’s more prolific and I don’t think any of those other attackers will outscore him this season. Goals are a big issue. How Rom fits into the team and we remain a successful and effective team, I don’t know, but its not as if it cannot be done regardless of him limitations. Same way in how its not impossible for a combination of the other attackers to play together. 

The problem however is our chance creation does not stay the same when he is on the pitch. That is the biggest problem with him. He cannot finish off any chances if we're/he is not creating them due to his lack of off the ball play/we lose the ball due to his technical limitations. 

Edited by King Kante

Just now, NikkiCFC said:

Played just 3 minutes. Not fair to focus on him. We are shit either way. 

No way, We bought lukaku for these exact games esp according to his talkchelsea lawyers

Does TT even beleive in him anymore? why did a £90M player play 3mins

Hes offered absolutly nowt for so long and looks fit to me!

Either TT is wrong or he thinks werner is better!!

Less than a month of not being a first choice and the hints of him leaving begin, lol.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10299121/Chelsea-Romelu-Lukaku-return-Serie-confirms-strikers-agent.html

Edited by Tomo

Lukaku is great whether or not Tuchel can use what he does well. His numbers don’t lie and his distribution and finishing skills are evident. Some players don’t fit some systems. No need to disparage either the system or the player when that happens. It’s not like he’s alone as a Chelsea player whose market value exceeds the value Chelsea is getting from him.

29 minutes ago, DanP2311 said:

Lukaku is great whether or not Tuchel can use what he does well. His numbers don’t lie and his distribution and finishing skills are evident. Some players don’t fit some systems. No need to disparage either the system or the player when that happens. It’s not like he’s alone as a Chelsea player whose market value exceeds the value Chelsea is getting from him.

Good points. Noticed as well even if hes not doing the business opposing defenders panic, stick with him and free up our players