Mis-firing Torres

Guest justin_3d

Disagree.

Goalkeeper and striker are really the two only 'confidence' positions on the pitch. If the press continuously berate you over poor performances as a striker or errors as a goalie, it affects you massively. Look at Cech in 08/09, he had two shaky games and the press made it look like his hands had been replaced with marshmallows. Yes it is important to have a positive mental outlook, but strikers and goalkeepers are particularly prone to knocks in their confidence. You can react two ways - go into your shell or come out all guns blazing. Rooney did the latter last season and finished the season in deadly form, Torres has done the opposite. Once he finds his scoring touch, el Nino will be back, you have my word.

It does not affect defenders or midfielders so much, which is why Terry and Cole responded in kind.

hmmm sounds good, but I would say from what you just told me, that it shows Torres is a weak minded character compare to Cech and Rooney reactions after media bashing.

Right now Torres problem might be all mental as this article talks about:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/armchair-pundit/article/13276/

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest justin_3d

He came to a team that was in a mess, give him a break.

Last season there were periods when anyone from our team couldn't score not just Torres.

He can score a hat trick in his next game, but if his problem is mental it will take more then goals to get past this.

Guest justin_3d

I doubt that it's mental.

I liked this quote from the article i just put:

Torres appears to be suffering from the opposite problem. He really is one of the world's best. We have all seen the evidence.

And yet, in his head, he is a pub player.

what he earns is irrelevant to his confidence or perhaps even contributes to the problem ..If all our fans had your attitude it would be even more difficult for him to recover his form.

AND make no mistake we need a fit and firing Fernando.

I think that you missed the point of my post.I am supporting Torres all the way and i know that we need him.This attitude i have is not only towards Torres but towards all the footballers.

I just find it really hard to feel sorry for them for such ridiculous reasons when they earn millions and at the same time people are starving to death.Stop treating them like they are the victims of this world.

Like Jose once said : "Pressure? What pressure? Pressure is millions of parents around the world with no money to feed their children. There is no pressure in football."

That's my point.

Guest justin_3d

I think that you missed the point of my post.I am supporting Torres all the way and i know that we need him.This attitude i have is not only towards Torres but towards all the footballers.

I just find it really hard to feel sorry for them for such ridiculous reasons when they earn millions and at the same time people are starving to death.Stop treating them like they are the victims of this world.

Like Jose once said : "Pressure? What pressure? Pressure is millions of parents around the world with no money to feed their children. There is no pressure in football."

That's my point.

That's very true what Mourinho said.

One of the very few things i agree with him. :lol:

That's my point.

joses quote is completely irrelevant as normal life cannot be compared to football. Tell managers who have had heart attacks and had to be strapped to heart machines to monitor them that there is no pressure in football. Its very easy to say he gets 170,000 a week for kicking a ball how can he feel pressure, ive played in front of small crowds before and got paid nothing and felt pressure never mind playing in front of tens of thousands of people in a stadium and millions in a world wide television audience. Of course he can feel pressure

I do believe its too early to discard Torres. We paid 50m for him, so the club must support him as long as we can.

To other side, confidence is not an excuse. If he lacks confidence its his fault, its a problem that only he can solve, if he fail to do that, he is to blame.

That's why i couldh't see Sturridge being out of form for to long, he's got a good attitude, he's always honest and he believes in himself, i wouldn't call him big headed though. In his interview's he's down to earth, he will just answer what has been asked, glad to see he stepped up for the free kick, wasn't actually bad either.

I've kept quiet until now on the whole Torres issue, because I find it an annoying topic, but for me it's very simple. The only way he'll succeed at Chelsea is by changing the way we play. Torres needs space to run into so slow build-up needs to be replaced by (very) direct play. We need a player(s), preferably playing right behind him, who's great at playing the ball quickly behind the opposition defence. I don't see him succeeding in another style of play.

If that happens, he'll score at least 20 goals in all competitions. Torres is a pure goal scorer, you don't lose that. The old Torres would for sure be a certainty for more goals but that Torres is gone (well that's what I think).

I've not always agreed with everyone who says Chelsea need more creative and technical players to help Torres. Spain has plenty of those players too. But they play a very methodical possession heavy game and it's the antithesis of Torres' game. He really struggles with the tippy tappy stuff.

Ultimately, Benetiz at Liverpool emphasized counter-attacking. Direct and pacey. That's really at the heart of the system that best suits Torres. The issue with Chelsea is that last season it didn't play a pretty possession game. Nor did it play a quick counter-attack style. It was a third style uniquely suited to the long time players already on the team, more about relying on the strength of its players who attacked in slower waves. When successful, it wore opponents down. When it wasn't, it was very turgid play.

I think Torres will do a lot better in AVB's style which is a more direct modified version of Spain's game but it still is not the counter attack style that really makes Torres a happy boy. But it's better than the style played in 2010-11. It's a compromise and it's up to him to wring out the best he can offer in this version. He doesn't really have a choice does he?

4-2-3-1 is a familiar formation for him so that's good. The whole knocking it in the box may not be so especially if it's not a really quick movement. It will mean having Torres play a target man in the box and if the opposing defenders have time to track back, it's really difficult for Torres who needs space. I can see this favoring Drogba more. If it's a style that uses width and crosses into the box but a very quick mode and with plenty of balls for Torres to run onto, then it's much better for him.

Guest justin_3d

I've kept quiet until now on the whole Torres issue, because I find it an annoying topic, but for me it's very simple. The only way he'll succeed at Chelsea is by changing the way we play. Torres needs space to run into so slow build-up needs to be replaced by (very) direct play. We need a player(s), preferably playing right behind him, who's great at playing the ball quickly behind the opposition defence. I don't see him succeeding in another style of play.

If that happens, he'll score at least 20 goals in all competitions. Torres is a pure goal scorer, you don't lose that. The old Torres would for sure be a certainty for more goals but that Torres is gone (well that's what I think).

A certain Pastore guy might help in that?

A certain Pastore guy might help in that?

Possibly, hopefully.

Even though I don't rate him as highly as a player as many do, Sneijder would probably be the perfect guy to play behind Torres as that's the thing he's absolutely great at. He loves to play balls behind the defence very quickly and is absolutely class at doing so.

Though now that I'm thinking about it, Fabregas would be even better. Can't think of a player who's better than him in playing the killer pass, at a very high frequency, in European football.