Mis-firing Torres

David Villa had 2 goals for Barca during the same period as Torres' slump, roughly. And I don't know this for sure, but considering the number of subs Torres had or made, I bet Villa had more minutes than Nando from Feb-May.

No one is saying Villa is finished.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Villa had 2 goals for Barca during the same period as Torres' slump, roughly. And I don't know this for sure, but considering the number of subs Torres had or made, I bet Villa had more minutes than Nando from Feb-May.

No one is saying Villa is finished.

Because at the contrary of Torres, Villa was good ! I'd even say very good. Plus the fact that Pep Guardoila continued to play him proved he was still good and brought something to Barça. The same thing can't be said about Torres.

I wanted him regardless of the price.

Torres struggled last season because of half-hearted service up to him. We had no natural width besides when Malouda decided to play there instead of drifting infield, and a lack of a creative midfielder meant he was feeding off Drogba's scraps.

This year is a question of confidence moreso than creativity. Yes, we need the width and the intelligence installed in the midfield (I don't see why we can't play JM46 in the 'Xavi role,' he'd be perfect), but if AVB can instil confidence in El Nino once again, we'll see him win the Golden Boot next year.

you have hit the key word CONFIDENCE ,,,its what all players but especially strikers need and thrive on . It is however a fragile thing. In all sports

even the greatest can lose it and perform like novices .. In his first game for us against Liverpool he had a great chance in the opening minutes.

Nine times out of 10 he would have buried it. He could even have given Drogba a tap in but his strikers instinct made him try himself. From the

firrst miss the confidence seemed to drain from him . His touch got worse his reactions slower allowing defenders to get back and close him down

or block his shots . Lack of confidence causes players to doubt their instincts and talent .. They THINK TOO MUCH about what they should do

instead of trusting their instincts Torres still made great runs and took up good positions but the slowing down through doubts caused missed

opportunities .. It happens in ALL sports and even to the greatest ..

The solution : in individual sports he will go to his coach or a sports pyschologist .

The advice I would give Torres ..... DONT THINK ....if the ball is there ..HIT THE FUCKING THING ....

(perhaps the opposite advice would be useful to Kalou)

I have confidence that Torres will deliver this season.. KTF in Chelsea and Fernando

The advice I would give Torres ..... DONT THINK ....if the ball is there ..HIT THE FUCKING THING ....

Wholeheartedly agree. There were so many times where he looked like he was trying to "place" the ball into the net. And I was screaming internally, "Just kick the damn thing!"

Guest justin_3d

At the moment Torres is the biggest flop in history.

But i think that might change with AVB! blue%20scalf.gif

The only thing I'm worried about is his (lack of) pace as it was a huge part of his game, realistically he simply can hardly have such a horrible patch again and hopefully the same goes for Chelsea. Zolayes already mentioned the critical factor of confidence which can make a huge difference on its own and we shouldn't forget that this summer he had the biggest brake of his career since coming to England.

The truth is most Chelsea fans wouldn't make such a big case out of it if Sheva never happened. Biggest flop in history? PPlleeaassee...

The truth is most Chelsea fans wouldn't make such a big case out of it if Sheva never happened.

So true.. So very true.

It doesn't really help that there's a constant media spotlight on him because of that Sheva fiasco as well. It really means any big money transfers we make will be judged by the parameters of Shevchenko.

I must admit that I was excited, but a bit leery of the Torres signing. Leery mainly because of the £50m price tag and his fitness. However, I don't believe that this is the sad final chapter of a once world class striker. There were several things that I thought explained his goal scoring, or lack thereof, record with us. First, I'll just come out and say it: he was unlucky. Second, as others have touched on, he was coming off a world cup year and was not full fit. Next, he was facing immense pressure after his transfer. Even a confident, highly skilled footballer like Torres is not immune to the immense pressures of such a massive transfer. He had to adjust to a new team that was struggling at the time and a manager that was unsure how to use him. Finally, I think the service was simply not there for him. Torres, like many top strikers, needs creative play behind him in order to succeed. I am confident that AVB can rekindle the raging inferno of goals that is Fernando Torres. However, we must upgrade the creativity and pace of our squad via promotion/inclusion of our youth and purchasing several new players.

I must admit that I was excited, but a bit leery of the Torres signing. Leery mainly because of the £50m price tag and his fitness. However, I don't believe that this is the sad final chapter of a once world class striker. There were several things that I thought explained his goal scoring, or lack thereof, record with us. First, I'll just come out and say it: he was unlucky. Second, as others have touched on, he was coming off a world cup year and was not full fit. Next, he was facing immense pressure after his transfer. Even a confident, highly skilled footballer like Torres is not immune to the immense pressures of such a massive transfer. He had to adjust to a new team that was struggling at the time and a manager that was unsure how to use him. Finally, I think the service was simply not there for him. Torres, like many top strikers, needs creative play behind him in order to succeed. I am confident that AVB can rekindle the raging inferno of goals that is Fernando Torres. However, we must upgrade the creativity and pace of our squad via promotion/inclusion of our youth and purchasing several new players.

emo3.gif

you have hit the key word CONFIDENCE ,,,its what all players but especially strikers need and thrive on . It is however a fragile thing. In all sports

even the greatest can lose it and perform like novices .. In his first game for us against Liverpool he had a great chance in the opening minutes.

Nine times out of 10 he would have buried it. He could even have given Drogba a tap in but his strikers instinct made him try himself. From the

firrst miss the confidence seemed to drain from him . His touch got worse his reactions slower allowing defenders to get back and close him down

or block his shots . Lack of confidence causes players to doubt their instincts and talent .. They THINK TOO MUCH about what they should do

instead of trusting their instincts Torres still made great runs and took up good positions but the slowing down through doubts caused missed

opportunities .. It happens in ALL sports and even to the greatest ..

The solution : in individual sports he will go to his coach or a sports pyschologist .

(perhaps the opposite advice would be useful to Kalou)

I have confidence that Torres will deliver this season.. KTF in Chelsea and Fernando

:goodpost: Absolutely spot on boss, as usual. Couldn't put it any better myself.

There was a couple of big problems last season that prohibited him from showing his best form. Probably the biggeszt of those was the niggling injuries, he has since let it be known that he was struggling with injuries over the course of the season that all stemmed from him being rushed back far too season in an attempt to play in the World Cup and then picking up an injury at the World Cup itself. That had a huge effect on his season. The other big problem was the shape and pattern of our play, at Liverpool he is used to a lot quicker phases and a more direct style, at Chelsea, with our long, slow passing phases and methodical approach, it was difficult for him to adapt. Also the lack of a playmaker in our side hardly aided him and the lack of real wingers in our side really doesn't help either, if we had true wingers it would stretch an opposition back four and create more space between the wing back and centre back for Torres to move into, unfortunately for us, too often Malouda and Anelka want to drop deep in behind the main striker and the opposition back four are able to tuck in together and create a solid unit. Other problems were Drogba's presence which can hardly have been good for his confidence and the scrunity of him from the media and Ancelotti who seemed to lose total faith in him in the end.

Personally I think he will be a hit next season, this will be the first actual pre season he has had in a long time, he will have been able to have a long break to rejuvenate himself so I really expect him to start next season in the best physical shape he has been in for years. He will be working under a new manager so thats a new beginning and hopefully by the time the season starts we will have signed a couple of new players that suit the way he plays and he can start next season safe in the knowledge that he is Chelsea's main man. I dont think there is any doubting the class of Fernando Torres, its simply a matter of time until he reaches top form once again and I expect that time to come starting next season.

There was a couple of big problems last season that prohibited him from showing his best form. Probably the biggeszt of those was the niggling injuries, he has since let it be known that he was struggling with injuries over the course of the season that all stemmed from him being rushed back far too season in an attempt to play in the World Cup and then picking up an injury at the World Cup itself. That had a huge effect on his season. The other big problem was the shape and pattern of our play, at Liverpool he is used to a lot quicker phases and a more direct style, at Chelsea, with our long, slow passing phases and methodical approach, it was difficult for him to adapt. Also the lack of a playmaker in our side hardly aided him and the lack of real wingers in our side really doesn't help either, if we had true wingers it would stretch an opposition back four and create more space between the wing back and centre back for Torres to move into, unfortunately for us, too often Malouda and Anelka want to drop deep in behind the main striker and the opposition back four are able to tuck in together and create a solid unit. Other problems were Drogba's presence which can hardly have been good for his confidence and the scrunity of him from the media and Ancelotti who seemed to lose total faith in him in the end.

Personally I think he will be a hit next season, this will be the first actual pre season he has had in a long time, he will have been able to have a long break to rejuvenate himself so I really expect him to start next season in the best physical shape he has been in for years. He will be working under a new manager so thats a new beginning and hopefully by the time the season starts we will have signed a couple of new players that suit the way he plays and he can start next season safe in the knowledge that he is Chelsea's main man. I dont think there is any doubting the class of Fernando Torres, its simply a matter of time until he reaches top form once again and I expect that time to come starting next season.

How many fucking Torres topics about this and that do we need?. GIVE THE KID SOME SPACE AND BELIVES!,

He will hit hard next season, and all your none belivers!. :censored:

How many fucking Torres topics about this and that do we need?. GIVE THE KID SOME SPACE AND BELIVES!,

Erm, that's exactly what the post you quoted meant. It is positive and hopeful.

Guest justin_3d

I will be a none believer till he help us win the CL.

PL, FA, a Carling....been done before. He was brought in to win the big one like Carlo. And if he can't deliver he should get the sack! blue%20scalf.gif

I blame Carlo for the mis-firing Torres. Torres lacked confidence and Carlo didn't do him any favor and his decision making was idiotic. He started Torres in high pressure games against excellent teams like Pool,United, City and Spuds. While he benched Torres against some of the poorest side in the PL and those games gave him a better chance to regain his confidence and score goals.

If it was under another manger Torres would've found the back of the net a lot more. Another reason why i am so glad the overrated Carlo is sacked.