Mis-firing Torres

Guest justin_3d

My argument is this - watch Fernando go this season. And while you're at it, have faith that he'll pull through. Class doesn't just desert a man.

Ok, I will try to bite my tongue for half of the new season about Torres and won't say much more. I will wait and let time be the judge.

And I will have a little faith, only when i see him change his awful attitude.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 31st of January 2011 CFC has completed the signing of El nino who was back then as some might call the best striker on this planet . Chelsea and particularly Roman Abrahimovic was trying to force this move since 2008 as Torres without a doubt was a striker that would easily step in any team of the world and will add to its quality.

But did this move come too late for Roman and Chelsea ?? or was it just a case of Torres moving during the club's worst circumstances since the RA era ??

I have gone through his season was liverpool in 2009/2010 and half of 2010/2011 , during 2009/2010 his season was absolutely great regardless what some might say , he had a great season and scored 22 goals in 32 appearances.

He had his worst days with liverpool during 2010/2011 before moving to chelsea but it was almost known for everyone that torres was seeking a way out and that he wasn't happy with the reds , but even then on his day he was deadly as all of us would recall his 2 superb goals against chelsea in the stamford bridge .

So Untill torres moved to chelsea he had the class in him , he was still a great striker and superb goalscorer but since then it's a whole different story ...

El nino scored just one goal since January , and has played poorly , he seemed to lose his pace , his touch was too heavy , his movement was average and his finishing ... well he didn't have that much of chances but based on the very limited chances he had , his finishing was poor as well.

Many people would say that torres's best days are behind him and that due to his several injuries he has lost his pace and that was his best attribute and now he is just an average striker . they will point to his poor world cup form and his start of the season with liverpool and say that his dip in form didn't start when he wore the blue shirt but there was signs of it . They will say Torres is overrated and benefited from the fact that the liverpool team was built around him and they absolutely think that Torres is Sheva no.2

While others will argue that Class is permenant and form is temporary , No player can suddenly lose all of his greatness and that torres has a confidence problem and as soon as that get fixed he will be firing again .

Torres moved during a very "BAD MOMENT" for chelsea , all of their strikers were firing blanks so it wasn't just a case of fernando , as most of our goals came from corners or Defense . Torres heavy touch , lose of pace and whole body language showed that he is not comfortable at all , may be he needs to adapt to life in london , may be chelsea style of play needs tuning to suit him more as AVB said but what was clear that torres had a mental problem . but as soon as that is fixed Torres will be back .

As i have said before , i have spent most of the day watching El nino's old seasons and I don't think that a player can lose all of his attributes that quickly , that is why i am inclined to the second argument . Torres has been a superb striker and you can't just get from being superb to pure shit , if he was average or he had bad games and good games i might have said that he is losing it but to suddenly lose it all doesn't make sense for me.

I am one of those who believe that we shouldn't build the team around torres but a good play-maker and 2 wingers is very much needed to get torres back and to help any other striker playing instead of him.

Credit where it's due - it's a good topic that will spark a lot of interest and discussion. However, I do believe your article - assuming this is yours - is rather unbiased for a forum. Personally, I'd prefer to read more about what you think and what you'd "say", as opposed to the hypothetical "Many people may say..." that you continually refer to. Don't worry, I'm not slating your work, I'm merely criticising constructively to give you some feedback.

I must admit that I was excited, but a bit leery of the Torres signing. Leery mainly because of the £50m price tag and his fitness. However, I don't believe that this is the sad final chapter of a once world class striker. There were several things that I thought explained his goal scoring, or lack thereof, record with us. First, I'll just come out and say it: he was unlucky. Second, as others have touched on, he was coming off a world cup year and was not full fit. Next, he was facing immense pressure after his transfer. Even a confident, highly skilled footballer like Torres is not immune to the immense pressures of such a massive transfer. He had to adjust to a new team that was struggling at the time and a manager that was unsure how to use him. Finally, I think the service was simply not there for him. Torres, like many top strikers, needs creative play behind him in order to succeed. I am confident that AVB can rekindle the raging inferno of goals that is Fernando Torres. However, we must upgrade the creativity and pace of our squad via promotion/inclusion of our youth and purchasing several new players.

I agree, particularly on the unlucky part to your argument. Torres was unlucky, without a question about it. His first goal for us may have been a touch lucky in the way that it fell for him. It's clichéd, I know, but I am a firm believer that one makes their own luck and he fully deserved that goal.

I posted once in this to make a point. But it doesn't seem to have gotten through. And the argument that we give Torres time and support to show his worth this season and if he fails, then he'll deserve crap rather than slating him now during the preseason...doesn't seem to have gotten through either.

I give up. I bow to this:

"Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

You're perfectly right in everything you've said, mate, so you've not to worry.

One thing I do believe many people are bypassing is the fact that Torres does possess much more than a goalscoring threat. Although he hasn't been prolific (as of yet...), he's still been threatening. His movement's been good whilst the service, simultaneously, has been poor. With better service he would have opened up his tally for the club much sooner. He also works ever so hard off the ball, which people seem to forget/ignore.

After he's had time to rest and recuperate - which he's now had - and a full pre-season to fully get himself settled within the club, he'll soon be back to his best. Mark my words.

Fair enough and if the mods want me to delete it I will. It's the first time I've used the term for any poster here. But if anything warranted it, it's for using "undoubtedly shit and hopeless" about a player. I have my opinions on players too. I don't use those terms to describe their deficiencies.

Edit: I just noticed you're the Admin :clown: So I will delete if you insist.

Haha there's no need to delete it, just some people might take it the wrong way! ;)

I don't usually I don't post much but feel like posting. People are saying torres has shown nothing this season where I think his shown flashes of his past self e.g against us and against west ham. I think we should give him atleast a season before we hang him out to dry.

My sentiments exactly.

Torres scored 18 goals in 22 games in 09/10 PL competition, that is pretty good for a shitty player.

I still can't believe some of you are calling the Torres signing a mistake after 3 months. :doh:

Lets remember that Torres has the highest goals per game ratio in the PL since arriving, he is incredible player and will come good.Give him a year ffs, then form an opinion.

Precisely, unless you score 30 goals a season you are evidently not good enough for this club.

He cost us 50mill I think it's fair to expect some manner of class, so far he has shown us jack shit.

Fair enough but did Torres say "buy me for 50M"? That was a decision Chelsea made yet the media and CFC fans continue to go on and on about it. It is what it is and no matter how often it's brought up it won't change the fact that he is now a Chelsea player. Media bashing of Torres is "hanging low fruit" - it's easy to write and people can't wait to read it. When I read these articles about Torres it's 5 or 6 paragraphs about Torres and one paragraph about the rest of the team. It's just too easy to focus on one player instead of the collective problem (to borrow from AVB).

I would ask what players on this Chelsea squad are showing some manner of class? I don't think Torres is the only one who has shown us jack shit.

Guest justin_3d

He cost us 50mill I think it's fair to expect some manner of class, so far he has shown us jack shit.

Every time i see this guy play i just think of this video:

My frustration for this guy is as big as the reaction of El Tano Pasman.

It's what the press does.

They won't let up on him until he goes down on his knees, apologizes for offending Liverpool, being a good enough player to warrant two club record transfer fees in his career and then commits seppuku on the pitch. Then, maybe then, they'll say something nice about him.

@ justin_3d

That media obsession is exactly the reason why he has lost all his confidence and why he can't get his form back. It's almost impossible in these conditions. If he can't feel good about himself, how can he play good? But what do you care. You have already proven you are not different from them anyway.

Guest justin_3d

@ justin_3d

That media obsession is exactly the reason why he has lost all his confidence and why he can't get his form back. It's almost impossible in these conditions. If he can't feel good about himself, how can he play good? But what do you care. You have already proven you are not different from them anyway.

Media obsession with Terry, and A. Cole yet they still do good.

I feel sorry for the way he is being treated by the press.

His confidence and attitude is up to him and not the press.

@ justin_3d

What a heartbreaking story,i think i am gonna cry.

A man who is earning £170,000 per week for kicking a ball has lost all his confidence because some "bad" people are saying some "bad" things about him.What a cruel world...

Supporting a player that plays for your team is one thing,finding lame excuses for his performance is another.

It's what the press does.

They won't let up on him until he goes down on his knees, apologizes for offending Liverpool, being a good enough player to warrant two club record transfer fees in his career and then commits seppuku on the pitch. Then, maybe then, they'll say something nice about him.

Maybe if he gives an exclusive to an English journalist first then maybe....

Maybe if he gives an exclusive to an English journalist first then maybe....

Well, I guess that means they won't be saying nice things about him then...

In today's Daily Fail article by Matt Barlow, he said Torres hasn't spoken to the English press (I'm assuming he means exclusives or one on one interviews since Nando has done team press conferences) since his January signing. He implies it's because Torres is dodging the press because he doesn't want to face the tough questions post his transfer. Great theory....except Torres didn't do a single interview with the English press while he was at Liverpool last season either. And even before that, he did them rarely. This with a club where he was ultra-successful and adored.

At Liverpool, he hardly talk to anyone either and he wasn't walking around with a huge grin on his face 24/7. But hey, the press has to continue to paint a picture of a guy who's miserable and won't talk to anyone since he's moved to Chelsea. Newsflash: Torres is a quiet guy and is a bit socially awkward or even aloof. It didn't change just because he moved to London.

Why do the press get away with this shit?

Media obsession with Terry, and A. Cole yet they still do good.

I feel sorry for the way he is being treated by the press.

His confidence and attitude is up to him and not the press.

Disagree.

Goalkeeper and striker are really the two only 'confidence' positions on the pitch. If the press continuously berate you over poor performances as a striker or errors as a goalie, it affects you massively. Look at Cech in 08/09, he had two shaky games and the press made it look like his hands had been replaced with marshmallows. Yes it is important to have a positive mental outlook, but strikers and goalkeepers are particularly prone to knocks in their confidence. You can react two ways - go into your shell or come out all guns blazing. Rooney did the latter last season and finished the season in deadly form, Torres has done the opposite. Once he finds his scoring touch, el Nino will be back, you have my word.

It does not affect defenders or midfielders so much, which is why Terry and Cole responded in kind.

Disagree.

Goalkeeper and striker are really the two only 'confidence' positions on the pitch. If the press continuously berate you over poor performances as a striker or errors as a goalie, it affects you massively. Look at Cech in 08/09, he had two shaky games and the press made it look like his hands had been replaced with marshmallows. Yes it is important to have a positive mental outlook, but strikers and goalkeepers are particularly prone to knocks in their confidence. You can react two ways - go into your shell or come out all guns blazing. Rooney did the latter last season and finished the season in deadly form, Torres has done the opposite. Once he finds his scoring touch, el Nino will be back, you have my word.

It does not affect defenders or midfielders so much, which is why Terry and Cole responded in kind.

Have to agree...

I still remember some of the ridiculous arguments made by the press regarding Cech, including the one which said he might have suffered some kind of brain damage to make him impaired...

I think Torres' confidence is growing.. he just needs to work on his fitness. If he can get his electric pace back, he will be involved in more goal scoring opportunities.

What a heartbreaking story,i think i am gonna cry.

A man who is earning £170,000 per week for kicking a ball has lost all his confidence because some "bad" people are saying some "bad" things about him.What a cruel world...

Supporting a player that plays for your team is one thing,finding lame excuses for his performance is another.

what he earns is irrelevant to his confidence or perhaps even contributes to the problem ..If all our fans had your attitude it would be even more difficult for him to recover his form.

AND make no mistake we need a fit and firing Fernando.