Daniel Sturridge Next Season

He use to show that spark every now and then but never made use of the small chances that was given.

It's a no brainer he couldn't use those 'chances' (I don't call this a chance, by the way). First of all, the rare times he has been played, it was out of position... And then, he only got ten odds minutes here and there. When you enter the pitch to show you can be a starter, and you have only ten poor minutes to do so, you try too hard and at the end you make wrong decisions...

He was poorly handled, no doubt.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame isn't it. if a player is good enough, age and experience should never be a factor. period

Yeah mate. There's one quote from Football manager I like to use. "There are no old and young players, only good and bad ones."

Yeah mate. There's one quote from Football manager I like to use. "There are no old and young players, only good and bad ones."

Can you Imagine how Messi,fabregas,Iniesta,Ronaldo would have turned out had they been a Chelsea academy product?

Messi would get benched every week for malouda and Ronaldo would be playing second fiddle to Anelka and Kalou while fabregas and Iniesta are sold to Hamburg ensuring their true potential never reaches maximum fulfillment. that's the sad reality at SW6

It's a no brainer he couldn't use those 'chances' (I don't call this a chance, by the way). First of all, the rare times he has been played, it was out of position... And then, he only got ten odds minutes here and there. When you enter the pitch to show you can be a starter, and you have only ten poor minutes to do so, you try too hard and at the end you make wrong decisions...

He was poorly handled, no doubt.

Completely agreed he was poorly handled. But i would still say he didnt make use of the small "Chances"/Opportunity (Opportunity would be a better word). He is a professional at the end of the day and whatever game time he gets he needs to make most of it else how would everyone know whether he can deliver or not. It a fact if u r not Terry, Cech, Lampard, now Torres u cant guarantee a start at Chelsea so make use of whatever is provided to u. Best example is Josh (Kalou to some extend), just got one start and came in as subs quiet a few times ... has being cool, calm, composed on the field and managed to impress. Today most of us are convinced that he can deliver which was not the case with Sturridge. We all knew he was very talented but on field at times he used to be lost whatever may be the reason behind it. For me at Bolton he has picked himself to another level and has displaced that yes he is just not another player in the crowd.

And if i remember correctly, first goal at Bolton Sturridge came in as a sub and he excelled in that small time frame (correct me if i m wrong)

Can you Imagine how Messi,fabregas,Iniesta,Ronaldo would have turned out had they been a Chelsea academy product?

Messi would get benched every week for malouda and Ronaldo would be playing second fiddle to Anelka and Kalou while fabregas and Iniesta are sold to Hamburg ensuring their true potential never reaches maximum fulfillment. that's the sad reality at SW6

This is so true.

I have no hope for any young players at Chelsea.

I wonder if there's a problem for Studge,(or the other strikers in the squad)its the power that Drogba holds at the club.

We all know he's top draw,but even the best have off-days & if he is dropped to allow another player a chance in the side and that guy struggles, then his position as 'irreplacable' is strengthend.

The team play to Didiers strengths,that may not suit the styles of the other players,and if that is the case then as we've seen with Nico,they are forced outside on the wings to get a game.Having to change your style & not playing to your strengths must make you look an average player instead of a good one, surely.

YES!!!....Josh McEchran made his debut at 17. And theres more to come. And you are talking about talents like Messi and Ronaldo here and comparing them to likes of Scott Sinclair, Mancienne, Borini, Tore, Sala, etc. I have no clue how you compare the two sets of players. Messi and Ronaldo at 17/18 were Class apart, like Josh is and to some extent Kakuta.

A ) He is a professional at the end of the day and whatever game time he gets he needs to make most of it else how would everyone know whether he can deliver or not.

B ) Best example is Josh (Kalou to some extend), just got one start and came in as subs quiet a few times ... has being cool, calm, composed on the field and managed to impress.

C ) For me at Bolton he has picked himself to another level and has displaced that yes he is just not another player in the crowd.

D ) And if i remember correctly, first goal at Bolton Sturridge came in as a sub and he excelled in that small time frame (correct me if i m wrong)

A ) I'm agreed with that theory. But, we could say there are two types of players, the impact players and the, let's say starter players. The first category needs only few minutes to make an impact on the game while the second needs the whole 90 minutes to have influence on the game. I don't feel Sturridge is an impact player.

B ) They ain't playing at the same position. What you expect from a striker, it's to score goal (or to shoot). You will argue that's a cliché, but actually this is more or less the only thing we keep in mind about strikers. So, as he only got no more than 10 minutes here and there, he was forced to overdo things.

C ) That's meet my "A)". He seems to have reach another level, because he was given the whole game(s) to express his talent and to show his abilities.

D ) Yes, he scored as a sub. But, that wasn't the same context than here. Unlike at Chelsea where he was only a sub because the coach didn't trust him and prefered to play the so called "experienced players", at Bolton he started this first game as a sub, not because Coyle didn't trust him, but because he was just arrived at the club. And if I recall it correctly, that was a lucky goal.

YES!!!....Josh McEchran made his debut at 17. And theres more to come. And you are talking about talents like Messi and Ronaldo here and comparing them to likes of Scott Sinclair, Mancienne, Borini, Tore, Sala, etc. I have no clue how you compare the two sets of players. Messi and Ronaldo at 17/18 were Class apart, like Josh is and to some extent Kakuta.

Indeed. Iniesta's and Ronaldo's don't grow on trees.

A ) I'm agreed with that theory. But, we could say there are two types of players, the impact players and the, let's say starter players. The first category needs only few minutes to make an impact on the game while the second needs the whole 90 minutes to have influence on the game. I don't feel Sturridge is an impact player.

B ) They ain't playing at the same position. What you expect from a striker, it's to score goal (or to shoot). You will argue that's a cliché, but actually this is more or less the only thing we keep in mind about strikers. So, as he only got no more than 10 minutes here and there, he was forced to overdo things.

C ) That's meet my "A)". He seems to have reach another level, because he was given the whole game(s) to express his talent and to show his abilities.

D ) Yes, he scored as a sub. But, that wasn't the same context than here. Unlike at Chelsea where he was only a sub because the coach didn't trust him and prefered to play the so called "experienced players", at Bolton he started this first game as a sub, not because Coyle didn't trust him, but because he was just arrived at the club. And if I recall it correctly, that was a lucky goal.

A ) Agreed most of it, though i feel Sturridge can well be an impact player but then thats just another feeling

B) It not abt position mate, it all making the best of what we get. Thats my opinion and probably u mite be correct as per your pers

C) Agreed, we would never know the real reason of him getting to that another level. All we can wish is that remains here and raises that bar even further rather than going somewhere else and doing the same

D) It was a lucky one, but his performance was much much improved than his earlier ones and thats what changed my views for him.

Like i said we can just hope that we get him back rather than selling him or sending him on loan ... gets into the 11 despite whoever comes in .... and continues to take his performance to even further levels .... Wishful thinking, i know :rolleyes:

If he is that good in training what the hell was Carlo playing at? He gave him just 2 Premier League starts in 18 months.

This is why I'm glad Ancelotti was sacked. :clap:

That's no lie either, on Chelsea TV, it showed you the players training and Sturridge was out running Ashley Cole, and out playing the defenders. Maybe Carlo was looking the other way, for the full training session.

The idea that if we had Messi, Ronaldo etc at Chelsea academy they would never have got games. Seriously, how is it fair to compare the opportunity that the two best players in the world would get compared to the opportunity players deemed only good enough to be sold to a team that came 8th in the German league (no guarantee they will start there).

And the closest thing we have to a world class talent, Josh, got eleven appearances at the age of 17 - there's a thing called player burnout and over-saturation. Have patience. It's what Messi, Ronaldo et all had, and look where they are. Don't expect him to play 50 games next season, that's just plain stupid.

This quote is very interesting :

"He's an enormously talented guy, he's extremely quick and I've seen him rip the Chelsea senior players to pieces in training but that has obviously got to be translated on to the Saturday afternoon," Wilkins told Talksport's All Sports show.

So, why on earth didn't he had a chance ? Did Ray Wilkins was the only one to watch Stu at trainings ?

The idea that if we had Messi, Ronaldo etc at Chelsea academy they would never have got games. Seriously, how is it fair to compare the opportunity that the two best players in the world would get compared to the opportunity players deemed only good enough to be sold to a team that came 8th in the German league (no guarantee they will start there).

And the closest thing we have to a world class talent, Josh, got eleven appearances at the age of 17 - there's a thing called player burnout and over-saturation. Have patience. It's what Messi, Ronaldo et all had, and look where they are. Don't expect him to play 50 games next season, that's just plain stupid.

Messi and Ronaldo didn't turn into world class players over night and how does one determine world class potentials from "just decent/good" potentials.

mewsflash Eto'o was deemed as not good enough for real madrid, barca failed to recognise the great potential Fabreagas had.

it's one thing to have players with great potential, it's another thing to recognise their potential and guide them towards reaching their maximum potential.

But what is their maximum potential verus the cost of the money that we get that can be used to buy better players or improve the facilties?

The club isn't all stupid as people believe and decisions made will have been in the best interests of the player, regardless of whether the fans agree or not.

This means that if the player believes he can fulfil his potential at Hamburg and asks for a transfer, that's what happens.

If the club believes that the player is not good enough to fulfil the standards set at a title-challenging club then they will look to sell in the best interest of the player reaching their potential, which unfortunately may not be at the level required.

But what is their maximum potential verus the cost of the money that we get that can be used to buy better players or improve the facilties?

The club isn't all stupid as people believe and decisions made will have been in the best interests of the player, regardless of whether the fans agree or not.

This means that if the player believes he can fulfil his potential at Hamburg and asks for a transfer, that's what happens.

If the club believes that the player is not good enough to fulfil the standards set at a title-challenging club then they will look to sell in the best interest of the player reaching their potential, which unfortunately may not be at the level required.

but Are the Correct decisions being made????

Just because Sturridge had succeed in Bolton, who says he will when/if he comes back?. Chelsea don`t have time do developed

talents on the a team pitch, whoever coaches can`t risk to put these young talents on the field ( well more than 5-10 min.), we could

end silverware free.We are screaming for Neymar,lukaku etc, and at the same time we want`s Sturridge and other academy players

to get more play time?. To blame Wilkins and Ancelotti is just to low and and easy pick for us with totally no inside knowlegde, stupid!.

Our Academy is good, but our football philosophy of our owner isnt.