Mikel John Obi

Badboy

A lot of fans, especially Nigerian fans, think we've ruined Mikel as he was once a great attacking prospect. I would disagree, as his performances since Di Matteo took over have been out of this world and have surely cemented him as one of the best DM's going around. I'd have him below the likes of Pirlo, Mascherano, Busquets and Xabi Alonso and on par with Yaya Toure. Ahead of everybody else, for me.

A lot of fans, especially Nigerian fans, think we've ruined Mikel as he was once a great attacking prospect. I would disagree, as his performances since Di Matteo took over have been out of this world and have surely cemented him as one of the best DM's going around. I'd have him below the likes of Pirlo, Mascherano, Busquets and Xabi Alonso and on par with Yaya Toure. Ahead of everybody else, for me.

Not really comparable to Toure, they don't exactly play the same position.. Toure goes forward and scores goals, Mikel doesn't do that.

A lot of fans, especially Nigerian fans, think we've ruined Mikel as he was once a great attacking prospect. I would disagree

While I understand your latter comments, you can't really disagree about ruining his attacking talents - We are guilty of that.

While I understand your latter comments, you can't really disagree about ruining his attacking talents - We are guilty of that.

I meant that they think that we have ruined him entirely as a player- which we haven't, we've just given him a new role and he has grown into it very well.

Was impeccable in the Final, can't really comment on ruining him in the attacking sense - he cannot shoot for a long time that's one of the prerequisites of being a great attacking midfielder his passing has always been very good but it's very obvious he takes a back sit to Lampard and is told not to attempt a lot of risky passes or get forward when he gets the chance. He is quite disciplined and over the last few season has been good when given a run in the team - but was really a rock in our important games this season. RDM really brought out the best in a defensive sense out of Obi - happy he is able to get a Champions League medal even if he hasn't become the great attacking talent Nigeria was expecting.

• 1 month later...

Every team needs a water carrier and those who say they don't are fools. Makélélé, Busquets, Deschamps, Cambiasso, Alonso, Khedira. While they are all different styled players they all do they gritty work in the midfield that many don't want to do.

I have always stood by Mikel and always highly rated him. His possession of the ball is brilliant, as is his anticipation. His lack of attacking play, therefore meaning he often comes deep to collect the ball allows the team to score goals as he builds up these attacks whilst providing a safe guard in front of our defense. His brilliant balance makes it hard for players to get past him and sometimes plays the odd brilliant pass as shown in the video above :)