Mikel John Obi

Badboy

I like Mikel, I really do. His play just lacks a certain dynamic factor. He is a great passer, just not a Pirlo or Silva type. But if he can start to make passes like Alex Song, we know we have some gold on our hands.

Don't forget Makelélé was 30 when he joined Chels.

We saw during the first half of last season that it was not a matter of Mikel struggling because the whole team does, he was at the contrary one of the best players.

This season I really think things has to be put in context, the whole transition phasis process was a wide joke, especially because the first players who had to press (Mata and Sturridge) eventually didn't. And the importance of a high pressing when the team plays high is well known, it's just crucial.

Considering that, Mikel was given new instructions and one month later he had personnal issues.

And we also saw as the season went on that Villas Boas went from his ideas to some used tactics after a run of bad results. My opinion is that he wasn't clear about Mikel's precise role on the pitch. Especially because he was fond of a "total football" approach which did not keep players in a confined role ; that's why Romeu was given a run of games, because on the paper he was able to be the holding MF and create from the deep.

Mikel really isn't over at Chelsea, he has a huge potential and maybe he could be even better higher on the pitch. Remember he has a formation of Offensive Midfielder, maybe it a mix between a 8 and a box-to-box could be interesting.

Agree,

Pressing was meant to be one of the foremost requirements for our new style of play, and neither our front line or midfield did anything in this regard. This was the main reason why we conceded so many goals at the start of the season.

As for Mikel, I always wanted Carlo to use him in the hole of the diamond formation (during the start of 09). He can hold the ball well, and play quick passes to the strikers in front...Sad it never happened.

You're very harsh Alex, who could imagine that the tough tackler getting sent off against Manure in every game with pressure like a poor Rafael Da Silva would become that good some years later ?

Mikel's role is already enough ingrate, I don't understand the point of bashing him especially if it's to say that Essien or Romeu are better defensive/holding midfielders

The only thing he has acquired is Premier League experience. His ball retention has always been good. However he is too slow and considered in his passing. His ideology is too negative to suit this team.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've noticed that he been making some nice chip passes into in the box. Torres needs to get onto the ends of these, whether he uses his head or vollies them is up to him. Torres is very capable when it comes to headers and vollies but he just needs to be more aggressive in attack.

• 2 weeks later...