• Mount
    • Pedro
    • Pulisic
    • Giroud
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Kovacic (sub)
    • Willian (sub)

56 minutes ago, 1905didierblue said:

I am comparing 2 of the biggest events in NBA and football. And you have the stats. You wanted to talk about the popularity and viewership and you have the answer.

I also mentioned the average number of miles run by both footballers and tennis players, which you conviniently missed.

How much are man city footballers running against most of the bottom halves of PL? Just tiki-takaing there way with an odd 3rd man run. For every Federer example, you will have those too.

12 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

I have the stats ?. The champions league final is watched by between 200-300 million. Have you ever seen a pub or a bar outside the States be ram packed for a fucking basketball game ?. Your point about footballers having to play three games in seven days what about travelling to Azerbaijan play on a Thursday on a shit pitch and then travel back to play Newcastle away on a Sunday. Surely you would have preferred us to play last Friday at home to bloody Norwich than have to go to Old Trafford on Sunday and kick off at 4.30.

I think we should separate the two points popularity and physical demand of the sports. Some of the more niche sports have the craziest athletes. The most physically demanding sport I ever played is Rugby (where I stepped on the pitch for a 2nd Bundesliga game having started  doing the sport only 4 days before).  Also basketball, Tennis and football are all popular enough that I would not expect  there to be an issue that lack of popualirty would cause them to be not demanding enough physically anyway.

The other point, I think footballers complaining about playing every 3 days is because of conditioning. Footballers are conditioned to play once or twice a week and when this goes on, obviously their limits are gonna show. Especially when teams face each other that are in different competitions and have different schedules. If every football team would play every day like Tennis players, the game would be different. There would be more breaks, bigger squads and a less overall intensity in single regular season games. But usually the commercialization pushes the freuqency quicker than the regulation around it accomodates it. But football is different than Tennis and BAsketball in the way they are marketed. People watch regular season nba games mostly at the side and only turn in for the major turnaments and big matches. In football every match is an event in itself so people expect peak presentation. But when you need to be fit to the point 60 games per year you will disappoint people from time to time. So the busier the schedule in football gets, the more it will be like a  high-frequency US sport. For better or for worse.  

But I do not think that this early in the season, freshness will be that much of a problem playing twice per week. The human body is capable of quickly adapting to physical challenges. Sure we will not be as fresh as Leicester but i rather think Leicester will be better prepared tactically as they had a full week to train for that. So we need to simply show our superior quality. But that is the way it has always been for top teams and I would not want it any other way. 

4 minutes ago, 1905didierblue said:

So all the official figures and numbers are wrong, right? Please see the above mentioned links.

As for travelling, are you serious? Do you even know how much travelling is involved in NBA. Stop showing ignorance. USA alone has as much area as the whole of Europe. 

Tennis tournaments literally shift countries with Monte Carlo open followed by Madrid followed by Rome followed by french open.

Football is not the only sport where players deal with travelling and burn out. It might not even be the sport which requires the most amount of travelling and energy expenditure. Given that it's the start of the season, burn out and fatigue should not be an issue, and thats the only point I am trying to make.

It's not ignorance I just don't watch shit sports like tennis or basketball. 

23 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

I think we should separate the two points popularity and physical demand of the sports. Some of the more niche sports have the craziest athletes. The most physically demanding sport I ever played is Rugby (where I stepped on the pitch for a 2nd Bundesliga game having started  doing the sport only 4 days before).  Also basketball, Tennis and football are all popular enough that I would not expect  there to be an issue that lack of popualirty would cause them to be not demanding enough physically anyway.

The other point, I think footballers complaining about playing every 3 days is because of conditioning. Footballers are conditioned to play once or twice a week and when this goes on, obviously their limits are gonna show. Especially when teams face each other that are in different competitions and have different schedules. If every football team would play every day like Tennis players, the game would be different. There would be more breaks, bigger squads and a less overall intensity in single regular season games. But usually the commercialization pushes the freuqency quicker than the regulation around it accomodates it. But football is different than Tennis and BAsketball in the way they are marketed. People watch regular season nba games mostly at the side and only turn in for the major turnaments and big matches. In football every match is an event in itself so people expect peak presentation. But when you need to be fit to the point 60 games per year you will disappoint people from time to time. So the busier the schedule in football gets, the more it will be like a  high-frequency US sport. For better or for worse.  

But I do not think that this early in the season, freshness will be that much of a problem playing twice per week. The human body is capable of quickly adapting to physical challenges. Sure we will not be as fresh as Leicester but i rather think Leicester will be better prepared tactically as they had a full week to train for that. So we need to simply show our superior quality. But that is the way it has always been for top teams and I would not want it any other way. 

Well said. We'll put.🙏

3 hours ago, 1905didierblue said:

I am comparing 2 of the biggest events in NBA and football. And you have the stats. You wanted to talk about the popularity and viewership and you have the answer.

I also mentioned the average number of miles run by both footballers and tennis players, which you conviniently missed.

How much are man city footballers running against most of the bottom halves of PL? Just tiki-takaing there way with an odd 3rd man run. For every Federer example, you will have those too.

That’s a big myth, having possession requires a massive amount of energy to maintain the ball, not to mention covering 50+ yards of open space in transition

On 8/15/2019 at 3:35 AM, Iggy Doonican said:

Basketball is a shit sport played by seven foot geezers if jockeys played it then it might be interesting if there was a basketball game being played by the worlds best teams in my back garden I'd draw the curtains.

Easy mate. 

On 15/08/2019 at 1:32 AM, 1905didierblue said:

Basketball players play 82 high freaking intensity games in less than 6 months. 

Tennis players play year round. Mostly back to back days. And back to back weeks. 

It's only in football and mostly in this day and age of social media that we see this "load mamagement" shit. 3 games in 7 days after 3 months of holiday and pre-srason and rest should not even be a big deal.

Thanks DB,

This is really interesting. Do you know what the comparative stats are for the mileage covered by basketball players over the course of a game? Whatever the mileage comparison, I wonder if that really answers the question of who works harder. An example of what I mean:-

When I was reffing, especially in the early days doing park football, I would easily out run any of the players on the pitch. I would often have a jokey conversation with players about how they were struggling to keep up with me, when I should have been struggling to keep up with them. Yet, when I played, I'd be blowing hard after 20 minutes. My point is that it's not just about the miles that you run when you play football. As a referee I could judge the run that I needed to make. I could judge whether I needed to extend it, sprint it out or just jog. As a player, you're not in that much control. You can be called on to do three peak sprints in succession followed by big physical confrontations when you get there. I promise you it's harder to run half as many miles when you're playing than it is to cover twice as many when you're reffing.

I wonder if we can ever gauge the amount of work done by a footballer in comparison to that done by basketball player? I'm sure calorific expenditure has been measured in both cases but is that enough information to make a judgement?

P.S. The first result I found on Google suggests an average NBA mileage per player, per game of about 2.6 miles and claims that this is roughly one third the average distance for a footballer. My guess is that the physical strain on a footballer is also tougher because of the nature of the sport. That said, I more or less only played basketball at school, so I'm ready to be corrected on this.

On 15/08/2019 at 11:35 AM, Iggy Doonican said:

Terrible comparison how long's a basketball game 40 minutes or something it's played indoors and has unlimited subs. Chelsea - Liverpool last night was watched by a worldwide audience and has massive media exposure and then we're on Sky on Sunday watched by another worldwide audience.

Basketball is a shit sport played by seven foot geezers if jockeys played it then it might be interesting if there was a basketball game being played by the worlds best teams in my back garden I'd draw the curtains.

It's odd. It's impossible to watch a game of basketball without appreciating the brilliant talent which is on show and the fantastically aesthetic things they can do. Yet the game is a complete bore for me.

As you implied, the problem is that the basic objective is way, way too easy for professional players. In fact, as far as I can tell, it seems that about half the rules have been added over the years just to try to make the game a bit harder to play. Gridiron I love. Baseball I adore. Basketball? Wouldn't give you a used Tottenham ticket for it.

On 15/08/2019 at 1:45 PM, 1905didierblue said:

So all the official figures and numbers are wrong, right? Please see the above mentioned links.

As for travelling, are you serious? Do you even know how much travelling is involved in NBA. Stop showing ignorance. USA alone has as much area as the whole of Europe. 

Tennis tournaments literally shift countries with Monte Carlo open followed by Madrid followed by Rome followed by french open.

Football is not the only sport where players deal with travelling and burn out. It might not even be the sport which requires the most amount of travelling and energy expenditure. Given that it's the start of the season, burn out and fatigue should not be an issue, and thats the only point I am trying to make.

Am I right that most tennis players do not take part in both singles and doubles matches at non grand slam tournaments during the year? As a result only two players each week, usually different players from week to week, play the maximum possible number of games. Most of the players get most of the week off. Off from playing seriously competitive matches at any rate. What's more, no players play every tournament of the season. They all take breaks.

Anyway...

I think this is going to be a pivotal game for our season. We all enjoyed the performance against Liverpool but I think we have to acknowledge that they produced a fairly open display which gave us a chance to play our game. Largely speaking we took that chance well but I expect Leicester to try to close spaces a lot more than the Reds did. If we can overcome that and come up with another encouraging performance, along with the right result this time, I think the positivity will spread. If not, the doubts and the criticism will grow.

On 8/15/2019 at 7:14 AM, 1905didierblue said:

Lastly regarding viewership. 15.14M viewers watched the NBA finals (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Finals_television_ratings) far higher than any ucl final viewership (https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2019/06/uefa-champions-league-final-viewership-univision-tnt/)

Last year, the Super Bowl drew a little over 100 million viewers, a dip from the 2018 Super Bowl. Meanwhile, the Champions League final between Liverpool and Real Madrid drew 480 million viewers worldwide. According to sources, only about 2 million of Champions League viewers were located in the United States, and the broadcast was available in more than 200 countries. By comparison, the Super Bowl is available in 180 countries, and anywhere from 30 million to 50 million viewers outside the U.S. watch. That number is not particularly likely to increase, even when considering the NFL’s recent marketing pushes in the U.K. and Mexico.

https://www.one37pm.com/strength/sports/champions-league-soccer-super-bowl

27 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

We didn't score last season against them. Or in three of last four games. 

We still have only scored once from open play in 210 mins of football. Goals will be our problem this season on both ends.