So, what do you do for living?

termninja

Hello friends.

On this forum we have so many different people with various backgrounds, I thought it would be interesting to find out what every one of us is doing for living at this moment? This is something I absolutely have no idea when it comes to TC members, it's not a topic often discussed so I find it worth being opened. It would also be interesting to share with us some funny stories from your job and some not so funny ones also.

I can start to break the ice.

I'm a computer programmer, though I could also be called a computer scientist as I have recently started working as a researches in the field of artificial inteligence and machine learning. My favorite languages are C++, Java and Python, though I had some funny relationships with PHP, JavaScript, Haskell, C and C#.

My studies were very difficult so I wasn't around in the last couple of years on the forum that much, but damn I missed this place.

It's funny to remember now that 7 years ago when I joined, I could barely write a program to sum 2 numbers while today I have experienced so much from the field of computer science that I find it rather shocking now. It is very nice to grow together with TalkChelsea during these years.

In my past, I've also worked in KFC in the kitchen, I also sold souvenirs to tourist and I must admit that these 2 jobs thought me much different yet extremely useful skills. They thought me how to get my hands really dirty and how to haggle to the extreme.

Currently I work as a Android programmer and faculty teaching assistant at Faculty of Mathematics in my country.

Your turn now, please tell us about yourselves! :)

mmb9qajq9swpi8xxy76a_400x400.jpeg

• 2 months later...

I need advice about moving in Canada
Now I live in Canada, Matheson. I want to move to Toronto. 
I have already found housing. Want to buy. But how to move and take all of the old house? I think maybe to take advantage of mmovers.ca service? What do you think?

Am shit at learning because I forget easily so I struggle through my schooling no job but hustling to survive. I hope there will be something to help change memory failure to retain things I read or study in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, manpe said:

I've been working in a DHL warehouse for the past 4 years in a dead-end job. Been overlooked for 2 promotions, one just recently for a total newbie who knows jack shit and now he's my boss and I need to teach him... fuck logic eh?

In free time 99% of time I intoxicate myself alone by smoking and drinking. This is what you get having suffered crippling depression for 10+ years, but at least there is always a way out when I well and truly get tired of this shit. This is the truth, I don't talk about it much, but here you go, that's what I do for living. Exciting isn't it? :lol: 

I work for DHL Global Forwarding :)

Have you tried to quit smoking? I smoked daily for about 12 years, stopped about 6 months ago. In my experience weed greatly enhances depressing feelings / anxiety (in the long term)

I work for DHL Global Forwarding [emoji4]
Have you tried to quit smoking? I smoked daily for about 12 years, stopped about 6 months ago. In my experience weed greatly enhances depressing feelings / anxiety (in the long term)
Yeah GF does sea freights. I'm in road freight. No i haven't tried seriously, no will power. I know it enhances all kinds of shit, but i don't care really.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Got into computers as an operator at 17 on a big old Univac 90/60- only had 512 kb memory and needed a room bigger than my current flat to house it! Climbed up and swapped sites/computers till I was shift manager at Barclays then got the sack after getting nicked for selling weed and posession of a class A.

Ended up being a good thing as I started contracting with my own Ltd company doing Network controller. mostly round the City but got a year contract for Thomas Cooks going to all their sites world wide fitting new modems and staying a week to make sure all well. Went fine till i couldn't get a visa for Oz about 10 months in!!

During a contract for the Stock Exchange doing 16 hour days 6 days a week in 89 my Mrs almost died with a miscarriage and I quit work as I thought life was too short  and was more important being with peeps you loved and having fun.

Since then Ive got green fingers growing tomato plants, using the trimmings and  swapping the fruit and cuttings for money!

Tho since I lost my Mrs i cant be arsed to do much at all apart from get wasted and try to stay off here when I am!

Mate so sorry for your loss  -and I agree people are way, way more important than having things, careers, and football. 

2 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Mate so sorry for your loss  -and I agree people are way, way more important than having things, careers, and football. 

Just as long as theres a balance mate and we dont get the love of beating your neighbor and must have the latest phone etc. Means fuck all really. This isn't a rehearsal its the real thing. Gotta have some fun and make great memories.

Blimey what a soppy git!