César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

• 2 weeks later...

The amount of goals conceded from cross from Iva's side :doh:

And we all argued he's better defensively ffs lol!!

That is a reason why I hope we're not buying an LB to be backup to Azpili, he'll flourish even further at RB!

I honestly thought that our best FB combination this season was Azpi and Cole. But Jose wanted a more physical back four with better aerial abilities. Plus, Iva was used as a target for long goal kicks due to the absence of any wingers with good headings ability.

Iva does great when we defend deep with all the back four inside the box and when he does not need to provide width and contribute offensively, mainly because he's a CB, not a RB. But against weaker teams, he's really hurt us this season in continuously failing to close down crosses and also in wasting possession more often than not when he puts in 'crosses'.

That is the problem with iva. Not that his technique is bad, apart from his crossing technique. He is big, strong has a decent shot can leap and head. But he is neither a really skilled tackler nor is his defensive movement particularly clever. He is an amazing athlete, but only an ok footballer. I understand he offered Mou tactical alternatives and a threat from set pieces, but honestly, if we sign Costa, those issues are solved. In modern football fullbacks should be clever defenders and skilled on the ball like Azpi is. Of course Iva is a CB so we should not expect too great things from him offensively, but as soon as he costs us defensively we should really consider making him a CB again.

I also don't understand why we let go cole. We will be fuckin short of cover in the fullbacks position.

I'm really surprised Del Bosque picked Cesar over Caravjal....

Del Bosque sure did love his catalans though as well.

Maybe because he has has an excellent season? Most importantly has proved he can do a job at either LB or RB. Azpi is a quality fullback and deservedly travelled with Spain.

I'm really surprised Del Bosque picked Cesar over Caravjal....

Del Bosque sure did love his catalans though as well.

Azpi is more versatile than Carvajal and now especially with Moreno left out as well it means they only have Alba at LB so getting Azpilicueta made a lot of sense. They can start with Alba - Azpi, Alba - Juanfran or perhaps even Azpi - Juanfran and if anyone gets injured or suspended he can be replaced easily with the remaining of the three but with Carvajal or Moreno in the team instead of Azpilicueta it would have been much harder because they can only play one position and I don't think it's worth wasting two valuable squad spots to cover the full-backs if they have a player like Azpilicueta who can just as well do the job in either position.

Don't know if you're referring to Azpilicueta with that Catalan thing but he's Basque...

Azpi is more versatile than Carvajal and now especially with Moreno left out as well it means they only have Alba at LB so getting Azpilicueta made a lot of sense. They can start with Alba - Azpi, Alba - Juanfran or perhaps even Azpi - Juanfran and if anyone gets injured or suspended he can be replaced easily with the remaining of the three but with Carvajal or Moreno in the team instead of Azpilicueta it would have been much harder because they can only play one position and I don't think it's worth wasting two valuable squad spots to cover the full-backs if they have a player like Azpilicueta who can just as well do the job in either position.

Don't know if you're referring to Azpilicueta with that Catalan thing but he's Basque...

Good point about the versatility. That would make sense.

Also, the catalan reference was to Bosque's favoritism towards Catalan players, not Cesar.

• 2 weeks later...

Cesar Azpilicueta says he would welcome added competition for places at Chelsea, with defensive targets being heavily linked with summer moves.

Cesar Azpilicueta says he would welcome added competition for places at Chelsea, with defensive targets being heavily linked with summer moves.

Got to love the guy's attitude. Started the last season with absolutely no guarantees he would be getting regular first team football and at first it didn't look very promising for him but he fought hard, got given a chance after a couple of months and hasn't looked back since. Now after being one of the best players in the team last season there are rumors linking world class players for his position but he's not scared of losing his place to a new addition and just wants what's best for the team.

I'd seriously consider turning gay for Azpi, his heart is in the right place. :P