César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

Then again Hazard did nothing to help him defend when Leicester were attacking. If there is one thing that will make us title winners is if team as whole will work together, attack together, defend togeher. That includes Hazard and everyone else.

And Azpi is RB, he is more composed on that side than on left. On left he doesnt even try to go forward.

even in the first half when a lot were poor I thought EVERYBODY tried to recover and get back..

it was about 20 minutes before we managed to get the ball to Hazard

That's such bullshit. Apart from the first goal, Hazard did his defensive work all game long and helped out whenever Azpi needed it.

Azpi offers nothing going forward and at times defends way to narrow.

I like Azpi but as a right back not a left back.

Bullshit? I wasn't talking about the game against Everton but in general. We all know that defensively, Hazard can still be a suspect. I don't deny that he has improved but he definitely needs to be more consistent in doing the defensive work. People are denial if they think otherwise.

But if you want to talk about the game today, he went AWOL at times especially during the first half. And even if he was there, he wasn't doing it diligently. Second half was better but I'm sure it's mainly because Mourinho had a word with it about his defensive duties.

Bullshit? I wasn't talking about the game against Everton but in general. We all know that defensively, Hazard can still be a suspect. I don't deny that he has improved but he definitely needs to be more consistent in doing the defensive work. People are denial if they think otherwise.

But if you want to talk about the game today, he went AWOL at times especially during the first half. And even if he was there, he wasn't doing it diligently. Second half was better but I'm sure it's mainly because Mourinho had a word with it about his defensive duties.

He's an attacking player, not a defender! Obviously he won't be top notch defensively. Azpi doesn't do much going forward but Hazard has to do it on both ends?

He's an attacking player, not a defender! Obviously he won't be top notch defensively. Azpi doesn't do much going forward but Hazard has to do it on both ends?

This notion of not having to defend just because you're an attacking player is absolute nonsense. Nobody asks that attacking player to become a 'full-time' defender but doing their fair share of defensive work consistently (i.e. Robben, Ribery under Heynckes in Bayern's treble winning season). Unless Hazard starts to produce the results offensively on a regular basis (which he certainly can) like say Ronaldo, then don't expect the shackles to be taken off completely from him under Mourinho.

Why is it that Azpi isn't put under the same scrutiny as Hazard ? Why does Hazard have to help Azpi on defense but Azpi doesn't have to help Hazard in attack ?

Also i'd like to hear your opinion on what i said about Azpi in my first post. "He offers nothing going forward and at times defends to narrow" Do you agree with that or not ?

I don't disagree with that but him not going forward is almost clearly an instruction given by Mourinho. If he is given the license to go forward, I'm sure he would but judging by what has happened since last season, Azpi has clearly been told to stay back so that we always have enough numbers back and not totally disorganized when Ivanovic goes forward on the other side. Azpi is not playing on his natural side and seems like he's only allowed to go forward when the time is right. Otherwise, the license for a FB to go forward is with Ivanovic right now, not Azpi.

If he needs more support coming from the wings, it means he is not good enough doing that role.

You seriously can't expect a FB to defend alone like in 2 v 1 or even 3 v 1 situations and then complain that he doesn't do enough defensively in that position.

You seriously can't expect a FB to defend alone like in 2 v 1 or even 3 v 1 situations and then complain that he doesn't do enough defensively in that position.

For me it was clear the problem with Azi was not lack of support, since he was losing 90% of 1v1 situations.

I don't disagree with that but him not going forward is almost clearly an instruction given by Mourinho. If he is given the license to go forward, I'm sure he would but judging by what has happened since last season, Azpi has clearly been told to stay back so that we always have enough numbers back and not totally disorganized when Ivanovic goes forward on the other side. Azpi is not playing on his natural side and seems like he's only allowed to go forward when the time is right. Otherwise, the license for a FB to go forward is with Ivanovic right now, not Azpi.

True but don't you think that's extremely unfair towards Hazard ? We're basically telling him he's on his own in attack but berate him when he fails to track a run.

Why don't we just play Filipe Luis and have both Luis and Ivanovic work in tandem with eachother. If we attack on the left Luis goes forward, Ivanovic stays back. If we attack on the right. Ivanovic goes forward, Luis stays back.

It's time for Filipe Luis to come in.

So you agree that Azpi defends to narrow at times ? Wouldn't that mean that you agree that Azpi defending to narrow would put more pressure, defensively, on Hazard and make our left side more vulnerable to overlapping runs from right backs, making our left side an avenue... Something which you were eager to acredit solely to Hazard ?

If he needs more support coming from the wings, it means he is not good enough doing that role.

Utter bollocks. Team's defend as a team.

Fact is Hazard did well to track Coleman at times, and others he didn't. The other problem was that we had Fabregas back there defending at times, occasionally giving the ball away and trying some risky shit when you'd actually want Oscar in there doing what he has done the last two matches.

Azpi is an exceptional one-on-one defender but few players are perfect 100% of the time.

Despite that I wouldn't be surprised to see Luis start the next game against Swansea.

True but don't you think that's extremely unfair towards Hazard ? We're basically telling him he's on his own in attack but berate him when he fails to track a run.

Why don't we just play Filipe Luis and have both Luis and Ivanovic work in tandem with eachother. If we attack on the left Luis goes forward, Ivanovic stays back. If we attack on the right. Ivanovic goes forward, Luis stays back.

It's time for Filipe Luis to come in.

So you agree that Azpi defends to narrow at times ? Wouldn't that mean that you agree that Azpi defending to narrow would put more pressure, defensively, on Hazard and make our left side more vulnerable to overlapping runs from right backs, making our left side an avenue... Something which you were eager to acredit solely to Hazard ?

Defending narrow has always been a feature under Mourinho and I don't even think Azpilicueta has defended so narrow like you're trying to make it out to be, certainly not like Ivanovic who got so incredibly narrow for the Naismith goal for instance. To use this as some sort of excuse to say that it's alright for Hazard not to defend all the time is nonsense. It's a team sport and everyone should be doing their fair share of work, diligently and consistently.

As I pointed out previously, Ribery and Robben showed how you can still be a devastating attacking player while doing your fair share of defensive work under Jupp Heynckes in Bayern's treble winning season. Even Gary Neville also praised them for such qualities and how that should be an example for wide players to follow. If even the best players can do that, then why not Hazard? Like I've been saying all this while, unless he can start producing the end results consistently in the offensive third, he would not be getting a free role in the team just yet.

Moreover, why is it that this notion of "he's an attacking player, he shouldn't be defending" seems only to be used more often on Hazard than anyone else? There have been instances in the past when Schurrle, Willian or Salah failed to defend properly, the first reaction of most people was to blame them for not tracking back/defend properly. Nobody was really saying "he's an attacking player, defending doesn't come naturally to him" like they are now with Hazard.

For me it was clear the problem with Azi was not lack of support, since he was losing 90% of 1v1 situations.

Losing 1 v 1 situations 90% of the time? :lol: Not sure what you were watching. Then again, you always seem too eager to bash Azpi for whatever reason...

Utter bollocks. Team's defend as a team.

Fact is Hazard did well to track Coleman at times, and others he didn't. The other problem was that we had Fabregas back there defending at times, occasionally giving the ball away and trying some risky shit when you'd actually want Oscar in there doing what he has done the last two matches.

Azpi is an exceptional one-on-one defender but few players are perfect 100% of the time.

Despite that I wouldn't be surprised to see Luis start the next game against Swansea.

There were even times during the first half we saw Costa in the left back position...

Are you talking about yesterday? :blink: He didn't lose a single 1vs1. In fact, in the first half, he came out several times and made crucial tackles and interceptions.

I don't think any of our back four are to be blamed for any of the 3 goals we conceded yesterday, except maybe Iva for the third goal as he was supposed to be marking Eto'o.