test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BlueLion.

Daniel Sturridge

Started by BlueLion.,

4,150 posts in this topic

I must admit, I have the same doubts about Kakuta. Hope he turns things around just as well.

Same. Kakutas development could be important as the elderly players (torres not me) reach for their pension books

rumours that we offered Sturridge to Liverpool in Jan as part of the Torres deal and they 'laughed it off'. I remember reading the scumpool forums and they were having a ball of a time. Mugs. REALLY thankful that it didn't happen if it's true :D

geasave.gif

Have to admit, that was superb back-tracking from De Gea really, but Rambo should have left it for Danny to slot it in and got the rebound if there was one!

rumours that we offered Sturridge to Liverpool in Jan as part of the Torres deal and they 'laughed it off'. I remember reading the scumpool forums and they were having a ball of a time. Mugs. REALLY thankful that it didn't happen if it's true :D

I miss read it first time and i thought you said offering, i fucking shit myself.

Edited by Tomo-91

Any news on his injury?

AVB:

'With Sturridge somebody fell on his legs and he felt a strong pain in the knee but the ligaments are okay so there shouldn't be any problem. He will only miss the next game at the most.'

termninja likes this

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas says Daniel Sturridge is 'a really big talent' ahead of Bolton Wandrerers test

It is a comparison to make you feel, well, incredible. When Andre Villas-Boas was asked about how good Daniel Sturridge could become he drew an analogy with his former Porto player, Hulk.

Getting compared to any Brazil striker is flattering enough but when it is to a player with a reputed €100 million release clause that is serious praise.

"I am not sure how his career will evolve, he has natural ability to play on the right flank, he has the opportunity to offer me the characteristics I had with Hulk when I was at Porto," Villas-Boas said. "He creates unpredictability.

"He has been performing well for the team. He is an extremely quick player, and he has technique at pace. You get plenty of pacy players, but what is important is that he arrives with the ball, he can control it and do something with it. That is what he offers."

Sturridge, 22, is fit again and ready to face Bolton Wanderers, the club that has done so much to develop his qualities in the last year. He scored eight goals after joining Owen Coyle's team on loan in January and the way he took the opportunity convinced Villas-Boas that he was ready for Chelsea.

"It was important to his formation as a player, not because he did not have the same ability before he went there, but because he has evolved, like any player would when you have a confidence-boosting year at Bolton, where he was scoring goals week in and week out. That's when we thought his qualities were up to the standard of a Chelsea squad and that's when we wanted him back."

His return to fitness is timely, as Villas-Boas is forced to reshuffle his attack in the absence of the suspended Fernando Torres, although the Chelsea manager was keen to stress that he sees Sturridge playing a different role to Torres in the front three.

"We have been using Daniel in a different position," he said. "Fernando has been playing in a striking position and we've been using Daniel on the right, coming inside. So, normally, they are not competing for the same position and I spoke with Daniel about it in the beginning when I brought him over. Daniel is extremely happy in that position as well. I think it favours his natural and technical abilities and his pace. So he is competing for right- and left-winger positions."

There is more than one manager Sturridge is hoping to impress. Fabio Capello is also an admirer and will be eager to see how he performs on Sunday afternoon. He will name his squad for Friday's international that night and Sturridge could well be involved.

I hope he improves as he gets more games out wide but I've been slightly disappointed with the impact he's made in that position so far. He still looks like a striker playing out of position for me but then again he is learning an entirely different role so I guess we should all be patient.

If he's actually willing to adapt, then fair enough!

I don't want him to be a Mr Theo -I should be a striker- Walcott.

Shame Sturridge had to take the shine away from an otherwise perfect performance with selfish play towards the end.

He really wanted a hat trick. I hate to criticize such a good performance, but he started playing like a striker instead of a winger at the end.

Shame Sturridge had to take the shine away from an otherwise perfect performance with selfish play towards the end.

I'd be more concerned if a young, hungry talent was playing for the team all the time. Selfishness in front of goal is what makes good players into great players.

Selfishness in front of goal is what makes good players into great players.

Lol...I was actually going to say the opposite. :P

As far as today's performance from him goes, you can't ask for more than that. But he could have made more goals for the team in the latter stages if he had just looked out for his team-mates who were also arriving in the box.

That way he'll earn more respect from the other players. Otherwise we'll have a "Scholes calling Nani a ball hog" type situation.

However I'm not too worried...If all goes well, he'll have a more mature head on his shoulders a few years from now and that'll make him an even better player.

Very disappointed that he wasn't called up for England, but it will only motivate him more to continue scoring and playing well for us.

sodasys likes this

How Sturridge gets left out while ponies like Defoe feature in every squad is beyond me.

Case of playing reputations, not merit. smh.