Juan Mata

Severinb

Absolutely CAM or LW? .. I've heard him describing himself as a winger

I think it would be better for the team to deploy him as a RW mostly. That would leave the CAM spot for Oscar or KDB, supposing we kept playing 4-2-3-1, which I'm not sure is ideal. Anyways, with KDB's return and Schurrle signing we now have so many quality options. I was thinking, maybe KDB could be the DLP we need, his long passing looks promising from all the videos I've seen. If he can provide defensive cover to some extent he could be our most versatile player, delivering good performances in double pivot (DLP) and CAM because of his passing and long shooting or as a winger because of his crossing and ability to curl the ball, he looks to have some speed in him as well, not to mention his dribbling capabilites, he's probably the best dribbler of the team if the data I gathered is true. That would give us many ways to build the team and would help rotating players a great deal. I would really love if he could become a Gerrard or Xabi Alonso for us. And we all know how much Mou relied on and liked Xabi. In addition, if he could perform that role well, we could potentially have all our best attacking players together on the pitch.

I think it would be better for the team to deploy him as a LW. That would leave the CAM spot for Oscar or KDB, supposing we kept playing 4-2-3-1, which I'm not sure is ideal. Anyways, with KDB's return and Schurrle signing we now have so many quality options. I was thinking, maybe KDB could be the DLP we need, his long passing looks promising from all the videos I've seen. If he can provide defensive cover to some extent he could be our most versatile player, delivering good performances in double pivot (DLP) and CAM because of his passing and long shooting or as a winger because of his crossing and ability to curl the ball, he looks to have some speed in him as well, not to mention his dribbling capabilites, he's probably the best dribbler of the team if the data I gathered is true. That would give us many ways to build the team and would help rotating players a great deal. I would really love if he could become a Gerrard or Xabi Alonso for us. And we all know how much Mou relied on and liked Xabi.

I'd like to see Oscar or MvG inherit the likes of Alonso or any DLP for that matter. KDB and Mata are more forward players who can work the place in the edge of the box.. They'll both fit in 4-3-3 under Mou

I'd like to see Oscar or MvG inherit the likes of Alonso or any DLP for that matter. KDB and Mata are more forward players who can work the place in the edge of the box.. They'll both fit in 4-3-3 under Mou

I feel KDB edges Oscar by a significant amount in the long passing department, which is one of the most important aspects of a DLP. That's why I believe he could work better. Also his long shots would come handy whenever he made runs forward. Dribbling skills never go to waste even if you are playing in the pivot. The only downside is wasting his crossing, but it would still be useful for corners and free kicks.

However, I feel the best scenario would be a 4-3-3 with him and Oscar interchanging roles and operating together. Mata would play as RW, Hazard as LW plus whoever is our best striker at the time.

I think it would be better for the team to deploy him as a LW mostly. That would leave the CAM spot for Oscar or KDB, supposing we kept playing 4-2-3-1, which I'm not sure is ideal. Anyways, with KDB's return and Schurrle signing we now have so many quality options. I was thinking, maybe KDB could be the DLP we need, his long passing looks promising from all the videos I've seen. If he can provide defensive cover to some extent he could be our most versatile player, delivering good performances in double pivot (DLP) and CAM because of his passing and long shooting or as a winger because of his crossing and ability to curl the ball, he looks to have some speed in him as well, not to mention his dribbling capabilites, he's probably the best dribbler of the team if the data I gathered is true. That would give us many ways to build the team and would help rotating players a great deal. I would really love if he could become a Gerrard or Xabi Alonso for us. And we all know how much Mou relied on and liked Xabi. In addition, if he could perform that role well, we could potentially have all our best attacking players together on the pitch.

Based on what Mourinho said about Mata the other day - something along the lines of him liking to play players with the wrong-foot in the wings - and the fact that Mata is the only left-footed among the players he mentioned, it's clear he'll try to play him there (right wing).

I remember Mata - vaguely - from Valencia playing in the wing... for Chelsea I think he showed the best results in the center, but I don't think he'd have a problem to play there again if he did it consistently for Valencia.

The thing is I think 4-3-3 works much better for us than 4-2-3-1 - although Mou hinted he prefers 4-2-3-1 (in general). I like Oscar (or Kevin) being the third man in the midfield, closer to the advanced players and a fierce and strong double-pivot behind him. Then we could have Hazard and Mata in the wings and Schürrle or Lukaku or another striker as the most advanced in the final three.

I think we miss the players to competitively play 4-2-3-1 and until Lukaku is ready (or we sign a better striker than Torres and Ba) we won't make much better in the formation. In this the three could be Mata (rw), Oscar (cam), Hazard (lw) + striker.

I'm not sure about Oscar becoming a DLP because I want him closer to the box, with freedom to roam and enter the box if he pleases to make a 2-1 play or to assist or receive an assist, etc. Although he has the pass to play deeper, I still think it's a waste to have him so far from the box for the most part of the match.

edit:

I feel KDB edges Oscar by a significant amount in the long passing department, which is one of the most important aspects of a DLP. That's why I believe he could work better. Also his long shots would come handy whenever he made runs forward. Dribbling skills never go to waste even if you are playing in the pivot. The only downside is wasting his crossing, but it would still be useful for corners and free kicks.

However, I feel the best scenario would be a 4-3-3 with him and Oscar interchanging roles and operating together. Mata would play as RW, Hazard as LW plus whoever is our best striker at the time.

I agree about Kevin's long passes being better than Oscar's - which is why I think he would fit the position better than Oscar.

Oscar either plays in AM or stays on the bench for me.

Based on what Mourinho said about Mata the other day - something along the lines of him liking to play players with the wrong-foot in the wings - and the fact that Mata is the only left-footed among the players he mentioned, it's clear he'll try to play him there (right wing).

I remember Mata - vaguely - from Valencia playing in the wing... for Chelsea I think he showed the best results in the center, but I don't think he'd have a problem to play there again if he did it consistently for Valencia.

The thing is I think 4-3-3 works much better for us than 4-2-3-1 - although Mou hinted he prefers 4-2-3-1 (in general). I like Oscar (or Kevin) being the third man in the midfield, closer to the advanced players and a fierce and strong double-pivot behind him. Then we could have Hazard and Mata in the wings and Schürrle or Lukaku or another striker as the most advanced in the final three.

I think we miss the players to competitively play 4-2-3-1 and until Lukaku is ready (or we sign a better striker than Torres and Ba) we won't make much better in the formation. In this the three could be Mata (rw), Oscar (cam), Hazard (lw) + striker.

I'm not sure about Oscar becoming a DLP because I want him closer to the box, with freedom to roam and enter the box if he pleases to make a 2-1 play or to assist or receive an assist, etc. Although he has the pass to play deeper, I still think it's a waste to have him so far from the box for the most part of the match.

edit:

I agree about Kevin's long passes being better than Oscar's - which is why I think he would fit the position better than Oscar.

Oscar either plays in AM or stays on the bench for me.

Looks like we're all set.. Now we need DDR

Looks like we're all set.. Now we need DDR

With DDR I think we can make the 4-2-3-1 better than what we have.

also I realize my post might have been ambiguous about Oscar. In 4-2-3-1 I prefer him to be a AM or just warm the bench instead and rotate with someone in the position. In 4-3-3 I think he can play as the most advanced midfielder.

Either way, I think Mourinho will make some tests with Mata in the right wing and I hope Mata can perform well there and get used to the position again.

Also, it's expected for them to rotate in the three positions during the matches, so he won't be on the wing 90 minutes.

With DDR I think we can make the 4-2-3-1 better than what we have.

also I realize my post might have been ambiguous about Oscar. In 4-2-3-1 I prefer him to be a AM or just warm the bench instead and rotate with someone in the position. In 4-3-3 I think he can play as the most advanced midfielder.

Either way, I think Mourinho will make some tests with Mata in the right wing and I hope Mata can perform well there and get used to the position again.

Also, it's expected for them to rotate in the three positions during the matches, so he won't be on the wing 90 minutes.

Either way, we ought to get a more direct football... 1-0 scorelines , here we come

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-jose-mourinho-demands-loyalty-2062822

Mourinho insisted that nothing will make him even consider parting Mata or Luiz - and that they don’t need telling because they already know where they stand.

“I spoke with them during the summer, when I was on holiday and they were both at the Confederations Cup,” said Mourinho.

“But when they finished the Confederations Cup I just wished them luck and told them that I will see them on July 28th.

“I am not going to contact them based on news stories that are not true.

“And they know that the stories are not true because I have told them they are very important for me.

“How can I change that two days later because of a story? So there has been no contact with them.”

Nobody is untouchable. And it's about doing what it's best for the team. Ok, Mata's best position may be CAM and he may lose a bit of effect playing from the wings, but it's all about balancing everything out. Let's just play with some hypothetical numbers to demonstrate my point.

Let's say Mata's effect on the game from a CAM position equates to 90 points whereas playing as RW that would fall to 80. However, Oscar has 80 points as CAM and 50 as RW. If you play Mata at RW and Oscar at CAM, even if Mata would be better at CAM, the team will be better as a whole and also have more balance with Oscar in the middle - the opposing team will be threatened through the middle as much as on the flanks (balance) and we would perform 20 points better (actually, probably more because of balance - with Mata in the middle, the right wing would be a much less effective zone, reducing his passing options [because Oscar wouldn't get into good positions in RW or wouldn't make a run when he should] or because he would face more defenders [because Oscar wouldn't pull markers to himself from making runs and positioning well]). In the end of the day, even if you perform better in a certain position, you are only a team member, often some sacrifices are needed for the sake of team performance. I'm confident that Mourinho will choose the best option to create a winning team.

ps: Sure the real world of football is a lot more complex than that, I just tried to show that having a player in a sub-optimal role for him isn't always a bad thing.

taking one for the team. That's where the expression probably comes from anyway

I totally agree.

We need the best team and if a player or two have to sacrifice their favorite/best position, so be it.

let's not forget how much those players rotated last season, which I guess might continue under Mourinho, although I don't remember seeing players rotating positions a lot during RM matches...

People forget Mata played more to the right for a bit under RDM and he did alright. He'll do good on the right and if Ramires plays right side of the pivot he will be more than capable to cover for him. If hes playing on the right wing, he'll be coming in field all the time so it might mean he'll shoot more like that goal he scored against Arsenal under AVB in that 5-3 game. Will save me shouting 'fucking shoot' at him when hes in more central positions trying to work onto his left the whole time.

Mata can play all 3 AM positions at a high level, so can Hazard and KDB. Schurrle and Moses should only stay on the wings and Oscar in the middle.

My depth chart for the 3 positions would be:

LW - Hazard, Mata, KDB, Schurrle, Moses

CAM - Oscar, Mata, KDB, Hazard

RW - Mata, KDB, Moses