Official - AVB confirmed as Chelsea boss

Guest justin_3d

Candidates for the new Chelsea management  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Who you want to see as the new manager?

But if we sell Malouda and Lampard and buy Mata and Modric, we would improve slighty, but we would still be short in numbers.

And why can't Chelsea sell Malouda and Lampard and buy Mata, Modric and one or two more useful but younger and cheaper squad players? But no, let's keep Malouda and Lampard, who are older and on much, much higher wages and also keep them around so that switching the system or evolving the character and spine of the team will be much harder?

I'm not advocating a mass sell/buy summer (though I wouldn't be adverse to be honest) but to keep it realistic, I accept that there won't be a massive shift in players. What is disappointing to hear from Gourlay is that essentially the squad will remain the same and will be augmented by 3 at the most signings. What I would like to see is a more ruthless surgical cull of one or two KEY players and then replace with 3-5 new players overall. This won't dramatically alter the team as far as numbers but it will be a huge signal that Chelsea will be moving forward.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why can't Chelsea sell Malouda and Lampard and buy Mata, Modric and one or two more useful but younger and cheaper squad players? But no, let's keep Malouda and Lampard, who are older and on much, much higher wages and also keep them around so that switching the system or evolving the character and spine of the team will be much harder?

I'm not advocating a mass sell/buy summer (though I wouldn't be adverse to be honest) but to keep it realistic, I accept that there won't be a massive shift in players. What is disappointing to hear from Gourlay is that essentially the squad will remain the same and will be augmented by 3 at the most signings. What I would like to see is a more ruthless surgical cull of one or two KEY players and then replace with 3-5 new players overall. This won't dramatically alter the team as far as numbers but it will be a huge signal that Chelsea will be moving forward.

Just adding Mata, Pastore/Dzagoev and Sanchez or similar players would be the step forward. And then replacing some other players next summer. Can we change a generation in one summer? I don't think so.

Cheap player can't replace Lampard, because Lampard isn't cheap player. I would keep him, until Conor is ready.

It doesn't matter anyway. Let them appoint a manager in August. After all; we are going to sign only fringe players IMO. Everyone is in the market looking for hot talents, grabbing them from our noses. Man U already invested some 55M on players and looking to sign Modric too. Citeh have just started their business, while liverpool have grabbed someone for 20M and still looking for others. Atleast le Arse has already spent 1M on some kid. :eyebrows:

I think its better to go for vacation and come back on August 13th.

Just adding Mata, Pastore/Dzagoev and Sanchez or similar players would be the step forward. And then replacing some other players next summer. Can we change a generation in one summer? I don't think so.

We are in agreement?

What I would like to see is a more ruthless surgical cull of one or two KEY players

If I'm right, this is the last summer clubs can spend money that comes from outside the club right? If so, they better refresh the squad now as the club is nowhere near making their own money.

all clubs need a transitional season or two every 10 years or so ,,,we have delayed ours TOO long ...It should have started last year .. Not sure

Roman understands this

This is the chorus I have been singing all along but some people are just oblivious to the real issue. Barcelona released Ronaldinho and deco who were two of their key and most influential players and have never looked back since then. They realised one vital theory that "every good thing must come to an end" how can we grow with the unwillingness to replace some of our aging key players?we need continuity in the team

This is the chorus I have been singing all along but some people are just oblivious to the real issue. Barcelona released Ronaldinho and deco who were two of their key and most influential players and have never looked back since then. They realised one vital theory that "every good thing must come to an end" how can we grow with the unwillingness to replace some of our aging key players?we need continuity in the team

Messi and Xavi were part of Barca even when Deco and Ronaldinho were there.

If I'm right, this is the last summer clubs can spend money that comes from outside the club right? If so, they better refresh the squad now as the club is nowhere near making their own money.

Exactly. Lampard,Terry,Essien (29 soon to be 30),Drogba, malouda, anelka are all in their 30's yet we have no plan in place to replace them with younger and sufficient quality. What's worrisome is the fact that the Premiership is becoming increasingly physical and fast paced and most of our aging players are struggling to keep up. That was apparent last season.if we were playing in the serie A, i would be less worried

I would rather just keep our current players if that is going to be the case.

There is no way those players will win us the league/CL... maybe Carling cup lol.

Are you joking me?, Johnson a very talented winger, and has a great shooting abillity in the good places. Lukaku and De Bruyne i don't want, because i doubt De Bruyne and i think Lukaku is overhyped, i used to like him but something about him doesn't quite fit. And Kyle Walker would be one of the best decisions we've made, he's an excellent player, and he has been the whole of last season, even in the England U-21, effective defensive and offensive, could do with someone like him. And Rodwell another great talent, i'll admit we don't quite need defensive midfielders at the moment, but he's someone who can win you games, and by winning games means winning the league. So yes pretty much these players can win you the games, however not just these players alone, we definitely need more midfield.

Exactly. Lampard,Terry,Essien (29 soon to be 30),Drogba, malouda, anelka are all in their 30's yet we have no plan in place to replace them with younger and sufficient quality. What's worrisome is the fact that the Premiership is becoming increasingly physical and fast paced and most of our aging players are struggling to keep up. That was apparent last season.if we were playing in the serie A, i would be less worried

Lampards 33 in 6 days time... we wish he was 29

Messi and Xavi were part of Barca even when Deco and Ronaldinho were there.

And so? Ronaldinho was 2x WPOTY and Deco was their main playmaker. Barca could have easily and conveniently held on to two their biggest stars. No? but they were smart to recognize the importance of reinvention. Now they are reaping the rewards of the seemingly absurd (according to some football pundit and fans) decision.

Essien is 28..will be 29 in december.

Meaning? He will be 30 next year and has never been the same player since the knee injury he sustained. This is the best time to cash in on him while some clubs are still interested in his signature.next year may be too late.