La Liga Thread

Steve

I never viewed Diego as a super talented player, I thought he was talented no doubt, but not the superstar people made him to be with 20yo. So I guess my expectations werent that high to begin with. I still think he did good. Not great, but good.

Now, Pato has the talent to be the best player in the world. He trully does. However, he doesnt have the discipline and desire to do so. He only had ongoing injuries because he would not follow the doctors recomendations and he would go partying, drinking and whatnot. Some players just dont have the conscious that football requires some sacrifices. So they just live life as they whish because they are spoiled.

Its always the same story actually. It was the same with Denilson, Ronaldinho and Adriano after 06, Robinho, Pato, etc.

I'm not saying he was the next Zidane but talent wise he could have easily become one of the best #10s of his generation. His technique was brilliant and the boy had fantasy. And what about his shot.

I mean, come on. Turn, create space and wham.

But I guess we can't all rate players the same. I thought he was amazing at his best. Fair enough on Pato if that is true.

Neymar has stepped up a level this season...There is a huge difference between this season's neymar and neymar's first season at Barcelona...He has shown maturity,cut down his diving and became more of a team player..At present he is the best player in the world..such a shame that hazard has regressed this season!

Neymar is actually at a club that allows him to express his attacking creativity freely. Put Hazard on Barcelona or Bayern and you'll see a different player than what he is now. That I can almost assure you.

Look at Costa for Bayern, if he did what he has done against Arsenal whilst playing for us, Mourinho would of benched him until January then loan him off somewhere.

Real Madrid lost? Oh dear. 3 points behind Barcelona going into the El Clasico after the international break. Could be a defining game for Benitez.

Tbf, Real were without Navas, Carvajal, Marcelo, James and Benz, while they lost Ramos after 25 min. Even a fully fit Real can lose away vs Sevilla. It's not a terrible result. And for all the criticism he's received, I want to see how he does with a fit starting XI first.

Clasico will be interesting. What Real will show up? If it's the one we saw vs PSG, it's not going to be a spectacle. Benitez should know he won't last long if he goes defensive though. He's already sparking up memories of Mourinho. But then again, I'm sure he realises he won't last long regardless of style.

Tbf, Real were without Navas, Carvajal, Marcelo, James and Benz, while they lost Ramos after 25 min. Even a fully fit Real can lose away vs Sevilla. It's not a terrible result. And for all the criticism he's received, I want to see how he does with a fit starting XI first.

Clasico will be interesting. What Real will show up? If it's the one we saw vs PSG, it's not going to be a spectacle. Benitez should know he won't last long if he goes defensive though. He's already sparking up memories of Mourinho. But then again, I'm sure he realises he won't last long regardless of style.

Hard not to sympathise almost.

Hard not to sympathise almost.

Real just love to get rid of managers. Or maybe they truly believe in a need for new ideas on a regular basis? I really don't know. But it works for them. Barca has lengthy list of managers as well. The Italians were the same during their glory days (still are). As long as there's quality in the squad is there I suppose.

Real just love to get rid of managers. Or maybe they truly believe in a need for new ideas on a regular basis? I really don't know. But it works for them. Barca has lengthy list of managers as well. The Italians were the same during their glory days (still are). As long as the quality in the squad is there I suppose.

Yeah it's true, but in the case of Rafa it'll mostly be more rapid than not - With the fans anyway :lol:

That is true but their squad depth isn't exactly bad (I mean they had Varane to replace Ramos) and there is no reason for them to totally lose control of the game after Ramos went off, especially considering they were well on top for the first 30 minutes or so. Losing to Sevilla isn't such a big deal but when you fall 3 points behind Barcelona ahead of the El Clasico because of that, then it becomes something big. Lose that as well and they are practically 7 points behind them already. It also doesn't help that Madrid had already contrived to drop points against Sporting Gijon and Malaga and some of their performances have been far convincing this season.

That is true but their squad depth isn't exactly bad (I mean they had Varane to replace Ramos) and there is no reason for them to totally lose control of the game after Ramos went off, especially considering they were well on top for the first 30 minutes or so. Losing to Sevilla isn't such a big deal but when you fall 3 points behind Barcelona ahead of the El Clasico because of that, then it becomes something big. Lose that as well and they are practically 7 points behind them already. It also doesn't help that Madrid had already contrived to drop points against Sporting Gijon and Malaga and some of their performances have been far convincing this season.

It's not bad but not nearly strong enough to properly replace the starters. Isco's not a right winger, Nacho is not a left back, Bale's not a striker. Casilla is no Navas to put it lightly. Benzema is so crucial and James and Marcelo are key as well. Varane is very good but their backline is void of any kind leadership without Ramos. Danilo has been disappointing, Carvajal is comfortably better.

The importance of Clasico is always overstated. I love all the hype and drama surrounding the game but that top spot often shuffles quite a bit before the end. It's important but not that important.

I agree on the performances but like I said, I'd like to see his work with a fit starting XI first. They've suffered quite the injuries this season and the starting line-up has seen so many changes and shuffles. I'm not a fan of Benitez but even he deserves a real chance to show what he can do.

It's not bad but not nearly strong enough to properly replace the starters. Isco's not a right winger, Nacho is not a left back, Bale's not a striker. Casilla is no Navas to put it lightly. Benzema is so crucial and James and Marcelo are key as well. Varane is very good but their backline is void of any kind leadership without Ramos. Danilo has been disappointing, Carvajal is comfortably better.

Those reasons can only go so far when you consider this Real Madrid side is not much of a difference to the one Ancelotti managed last season. He had injury problems too but he managed the squad well and not put players in positions they aren't comfortable. Benitez isn't even getting Ronaldo to score by the way. And if Ramos isn't there to provide leadership, then someone else should. Someone should be taking the responsibility and pull the team together, not go in their shells and hide from their jobs.

The importance of Clasico is always overstated. I love all the hype and drama surrounding the game but that top spot often shuffles quite a bit before the end. It's important but not that important.

I agree but then this is La Liga and every points dropped is crucial. And Benitez's league record isn't great and one would find it hard to think Real can claw back that 6-point deficit if they lose to Barcelona.

I agree on the performances but like I said, I'd like to see his work with a fit starting XI first. They've suffered quite the injuries this season and the starting line-up has seen so many changes and shuffles. I'm not a fan of Benitez but even he deserves a real chance to show what he can do.

He could do with being less rigid and more flexible with his tactics because I don't think the players are really comfortable with them at the moment.

Those reasons can only go so far when you consider this Real Madrid side is not much of a difference to the one Ancelotti managed last season. He had injury problems too but he managed the squad well and not put players in positions they aren't comfortable. Benitez isn't even getting Ronaldo to score by the way. And if Ramos isn't there to provide leadership, then someone else should. Someone should be taking the responsibility and pull the team together, not go in their shells and hide from their jobs.

I agree but then this is La Liga and every points dropped is crucial. And Benitez's league record isn't great and one would find it hard to think Real can claw back that 6-point deficit if they lose to Barcelona.

He could do with being less rigid and more flexible with his tactics because I don't think the players are really comfortable with them at the moment.

Ancelotti is irrelevant. I wasn't comparing his work to Ancelotti and Ancelotti was in his second season, not his first few months. Neither did he deal with this many injuries at the same time. Modric and Bale only recently came back. Ramos and Pepe have been taking turns on the sidelines.

Right about Ronaldo. But I find it a bit of a non issue for Benitez as a manager. His team is scoring goals (highest scorers in the league). Cristiano will bounce back eventually, especially with his buddies returning.

Leadership in the backline, as in the communicator. Pepe is not that player, Varane is 22. So yeah. They really haven't conceded that much though. Before the Sevilla game, they only conceded 4 goals in all competitions. First loss of the season as well.

I understand your last point. But again, I want to see if he's still this rigid as you put it with fit squad. Maybe he's just doing it because of the constant shuffling. But If he continues his ways, then criticise away. I just think we fans are too quick with the judgement as we're basically waiting for him to fail.

Ancelotti is irrelevant. I wasn't comparing his work to Ancelotti and Ancelotti was in his second season, not his first few months. Neither did he deal with this many injuries at the same time. Modric and Bale only recently came back. Ramos and Pepe have been taking turns on the sidelines.

It's not so much about Ancelotti and the work he did at Real Madrid but more to the point of how managers manage the squad when there's injuries. Every squad has them. You can't use that as an excuse, not with Real Madrid. They still have quality players even with some players out injured.

Right about Ronaldo. But I find it a bit of a non issue for Benitez as a manager. His team is scoring goals (highest scorers in the league). Cristiano will bounce back eventually, especially with his buddies returning.

Think Ronaldo isn't scoring (only 3 goals in last 8 league games; has scored in just 4 of 11 league matches) has more gotta do with Benitez not getting the best out of him than his buddies missing.

Leadership in the backline, as in the communicator. Pepe is not that player, Varane is 22. So yeah. They really haven't conceded that much though. Before the Sevilla game, they only conceded 4 goals in all competitions. First loss of the season as well.

That is because of Navas, who has bailed them out so many times this season. Even the lesser sides have found it easy to create chances against Benitez's Madrid. And even if Pepe, Varane etc aren't leaders, I would still expect them to take responsibility. They are far too experienced - especially Pepe - not to stand up and be counted when the going gets tough.

It's not so much about Ancelotti and the work he did at Real Madrid but more to the point of how managers manage the squad when there's injuries. Every squad has them. You can't use that as an excuse, not with Real Madrid. They still have quality players even with some players out injured.

Think Ronaldo isn't scoring (only 3 goals in last 8 league games; has scored in just 4 of 11 league matches) has more gotta do with Benitez not getting the best out of him than his buddies missing.

That is because of Navas, who has bailed them out so many times this season. Even the lesser sides have found it easy to create chances against Benitez's Madrid. And even if Pepe, Varane etc aren't leaders, I would still expect them to take responsibility. They are far too experienced - especially Pepe - not to stand up and be counted when the going gets tough.

Some, yes. 4-6 starters out and having to move players out of their natural position, no. I don't care who the manager is. Chelsea could not even handle 2 or 3 key players out, and I mean 14/15 Chelsea. Their bench is not that good. Even Guardiola's Bayern level dropped quite substantially when they suffered key injuries last season (same goes for his first season).

Navas, Carvajal, Ramos, Marcelo out. That's your backline. Of course you'll struggle at the back.

Ronaldo went through a spell like this last season. He'll bounce back and it won't be because Benitez suddenly found a way to get the best out of him.

True, Navas has been excellent.

I still say give the man some real time. The performances aren't great but his record is good. Benitez did not come in as a saviour or revolutionary. Judging him after a few months and pointing fingers at him for certain factors already is silly. If Benitez is responsible for Ronaldo's form for example, is he also responsible for Navas', Marcelo's and Casemiro's (excellent) form? I say no.

I'd say this is going nowhere. Go be Jason somewhere else. Shoo, shoo.

• 2 weeks later...

Classico kicking off more or less the same time as City v Liverpool, looks like it maybe one on TV and the other on the iPad :eyebrows:

Just have to kick the wife out now.

But wait.....SKY are doing a split screen for both games :dance: