Hip Hop discussion

Aria

Well,

Hip Hop is such a diverse genre, I'm pretty sure you can't narrow it down to a contestation and social critique even though most of what was hip hop in the early 90's actually stemmed from it. From what I gather though, this is the kind of hip hop you used to listen to and it's pretty ok to say "I grew tired of the kind of songs I used to like in high school". But it's not ok to say "Hip Hop is a phase kids go through because it gives too much of a 'rebel' vibe".

It's just not true. Hip Hop doesn't, those songs probably do and even then, just cause you grew not to like them doesn't mean it's a phase for everyone or people who still like them are childish.

Hip Hop is huge in France and I'm sure most would argue it's had the second most active scene in the whole world behind the US. I've been a fan of French and American rap all my life, and I can say I like it even more now than I did when I was younger. Although it could be different for other people, the reason I like it so much is actually pretty much the opposite of what you said :

- I still love the songs I used to listen to when I was younger and I've grown to actually be able to break down what made them so great and how some of them are very intricate and well crafted pieces of music, more often than not regardless of the contestatory (does this word even exist?) theme in which they are set.

- I got to witness how a lot of artists have come up and redefined the genre in a way that makes it still true to its core but at the same time reinventing it to better fit today's culture.

The thing is, although most of what I like nowadays is not mainstream per-se, I still can appreciate how even the most "generic" artists have managed to go through the same kind of process.

Old school is cool, don't get me wrong but what makes this genre so vibrant today is not the constant flow (especially in France) of artist trying to emulate the glorious tracks of the old days, it's actually the artists that are not afraid to venture into new territories and bring about new ideas and new tracks.

I've gone to many, many, many, rap shows in France and I can tell you for a fact that the age range of people in those is not limited to high school kids, actually it couldn't be further away from the truth. And it may be just me but I'm yet to find another genre that I can never get bored of. Old songs get that nostalgia "patina" and new ones just keep my brain challenged in every possible way music can : the lyrics, the technique, the beat, everything really feels stimulating.

I have to say though, I'm a "sunday league rapper" myself and I really listen to and think about hip hop very often. To me, nothing compares to the feeling of listening to a rap song and thinking to myself "He/she's killing it".

I know you have your beliefs and you feel the way you feel because it's just you and there is nothing wrong with that. Do you really think that calling out hip hop as a "phase" is fair to people who have a different opinion than yours?

In my honest opinion, it's much more interesting to come and say "Oh, I feel like I've grown tired of hip hop because x, y and z, do you guys have any idea of songs or artists that might help me reignite that flame? Is there something else inside this genre that I might enjoy?"

Its fun and all to be provocative, I get that. But I can tell 100% that this attitude will lead you to missing out on many good things.

I grew up in NY when Pac and big was the kings of the hip hop scene and when Nas and the Wu were upcoming. Obviously, not all hip hop, but generally speaking I still stick to my point. However, as you said, I am generalising it....

I personally grew out of rap/hip hop since I realized most of the stuff was irrelevant to me and in most cases to most people.

Hey guys pretty new to this forum, hopefully I should be posting a fair bit in the thread as I do spend quite some time listening to hip-hop.

TETSUO & YOUTH IS BRILLIANT. Big Lupe fan and anyone else from the Mid-West. ;)

Loved that he got Guy Sebastian back on this album again. Quite liked Blur My Hands, its different to Battle Scars from F&L II, but I still love it.