Hip Hop discussion

Aria

It will be impossible to top GKMC from the get go, people will find things to knit-pick at and the bar is set so incredibly high for Kendrick Lamar. I expect this album to be dope af tho, but i doubt it'll be universally accepted as such. Just like it was for Nas when he dropped 'It Was Written', in that it took years before fans/critics gave it the props it deserved because anything after Illmatic was just never going to get the same acclaim.

It's all positive from Hip Hop fans and critics, when he dropped the cover for GKMC there were a few people who were on the fence, but not with this one, insta-classic.

Bold, brash, iconic.. correlates with the message behind the album, big statement overall.

Implying I'm not a hip hop fan. Jesus fuck, again? You couldnt' be more condescending if you tried.

#NotAllowedToAgainstTheGrain

#BlackSheepsNotAllowed

#OneOfUsOneOfUsOneOfUs

I've listened to it front to back twice on Spotify now. Kendrick's album is so underwhelming. Not even close to Section 80 or GKMC in terms of lyrical content or production. Sounds like some pseudo-Outkast scatter gun attempt, laced with pretentious pro-black lyricism. In some ways it's, similar to Kanye's last album, not in terms of sound, but in terms of disappointment. Simply put, it's corny as fuck. But I'm sure the Interscope Beast will try and promote this as some modern day classic to the sheeple, dickriders and fan-girls with all their paid for critics giving spectacular reviews and their bought radio stations giving it non-stop radio play. And this is the guy that's advertised as the new Hov, Pac, NAS? That bar is very low.

I've listened to it front to back twice on Spotify now. Kendrick's album is so underwhelming. Not even close to Section 80 or GKMC in terms of lyrical content or production. Sounds like some pseudo-Outkast scatter gun attempt, laced with pretentious pro-black lyricism. In some ways it's, similar to Kanye's last album, not in terms of sound, but in terms of disappointment. Simply put, it's corny as fuck. But I'm sure the Interscope Beast will try and promote this as some modern day classic to the sheeple, dickriders and fan-girls with all their paid for critics giving spectacular reviews and their bought radio stations giving it non-stop radio play. And this is the guy that's advertised as the new Hov, Pac, NAS? That bar is very low.

I respect your opinion, but goddamn. You're way off on this one, man.

I respect your opinion, but goddamn. You're way off on this one, man.

hehe, Iseah, you know I'm one of K.Dot's biggest fans, but I just have to call it as I perceive it. I had a feeling he was going to go in this direction after becoming basically the biggest hip hop artist in the world.

if he stuck to this style (his tracks vary too much) he'd be onto something.

& this dude is going to have a big 2015 I believe. this is good baby-making music, and all his other shit is hard. Your favourite rapper's favourite rapper. He also happens to be supported by my favourite R&B artist Johnny Rain (helps with production & features.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWcQO7JRyc0

My expectations were pre-set before the release knowing it would be a complete shift from the GKMC sound, and even then I was still unprepared for how this sounded. GKMC had 'moments', they were tied together with the story but nonetheless, Section 80.. although independent at core had mainstream sensibilities in the structure of tracks, hook/beat wise, which made it pretty accessible.

TPAB feels scattered in comparison, the production almost sounds too fluid at times, going from track to track without prominent standouts. The way the message was eventually revealed after being cut off at the end of the tracks was a nice touch however. The wow moments were somewhat few and far between though, the first part of ‘U’ was chilling, Mortal Man is perfect in every way and the Pac interview was a great curtain closer tbf. There isn’t a bad track on here actually, only lesser tracks that don‘t carry the same punch, his other projects contain some hit or misses but that’s not an issue for TPAB.

You get the impression this album could have been performed in it’s entirely on the Colbert report, it’s so cohesive. I can see now why people are comparing it to Yeezus, as TPAB is as polarising, and forces you to have an opinion. It’s not whip music, barely feels like Hip Hop at times, which goes to show the range Kendrick has as an artist.

Lovin TPAB is complicated.

hehe, Iseah, you know I'm one of K.Dot's biggest fans, but I just have to call it as I perceive it. I had a feeling he was going to go in this direction after becoming basically the biggest hip hop artist in the world.

I respect that, man. But for me, it's a solid album. The beats are funky, but K dot is k dot and he spits on this album. Maybe not as great as GKMC, but not awful. I'd put it just below Forrest Hill Drive.

Anthony Fagtano is such a shit cunt. Literally full of so much shit, it hurts me eyes and ears.

He's an intelligent music critic and makes a lot of good points on that review, if you disagree with his arguments.. STATE WHY. Articulate yourself.. not sure anyone could disagree with him on this one.

He's an intelligent music critic and makes a lot of good points on that review, if you disagree with his arguments.. STATE WHY. Articulate yourself.. not sure anyone could disagree with him on this one.

Because it's music? And I don't care about music reviews? I'll listen to the album myself, it doesn't matter what a fucking music review says about it. :D I don't disagree with him, nor agree with him; I just think like all music reviews he is full of shit.