Hip Hop discussion

Aria

This. Eminem put out SSLP and MMLP, Jay came with Resonable Doubt and topped it a few years later with Blueprint. Hopefully Kendrick does the same. Nas put out some amazing work, but none of it ever quite reached Illmatic status.

Kendrick is in a new era, in which mixtapes are essentially albums, it's a different time.. Nas/Jay etc never had a Section 80.

Blueprint never topped Reasonable Doubt, it was just a bigger commerical hit, every Nas album was a bigger commerical hit than illmatic lmao (initially). Stillmatic & Blueprint were the two albums that went up against each other during their beef and Nas' was on par.

Kendrick is in a new era, in which mixtapes are essentially albums, it's a different time.. Nas/Jay etc never had a Section 80.

Blueprint never topped Reasonable Doubt, it was just a bigger commerical hit, every Nas album was a bigger commerical hit than illmatic lmao (initially). Stillmatic & Blueprint were the two albums that went up against each other during their beef and Nas' was on par.

Yea, both him and J Cole. Cole's mixtapes Come Up, Warm Up, and FNL are all amazing. So I think that sets unrealistic expectations, especially if they want to go commerical.

Blueprint> Resonable Doubt IMO. But both are awesome. Lol Illmatic was anonymous commercialy. Stillmatic was for sure on par with Blueprint, but that was almost 10 years after Illmatic.

I believe good kid, m.A.A.d city is Hip Hop's swansong. We will be lucky if there is an album like this ever again in Hip Hop. The genre is stagnating, it's not changing or evolving and has been relativley the same since the early 90s. Nas said Hip Hop was dead in 2006 and he is right, GKMC has just defibrillated a dying genre.

Hip hop was dead back in 2006, but that was a decade ago, look at the names in the game now, Kendrick, A$AP, Danny Brown, Tyler, Childish Gambino, Logic, Big Krit, Joey Badass, Schoolboy Q, Chance The Rapper, J.Cole etc. Hip hop has moved on, look at the likes of Chance the rapper, everything about his music is unique.

Hip hop was dead back in 2006, but that was a decade ago, look at the names in the game now, Kendrick, A$AP, Danny Brown, Tyler, Childish Gambino, Logic, Big Krit, Joey Badass, Schoolboy Q, Chance The Rapper, J.Cole etc. Hip hop has moved on, look at the likes of Chance the rapper, everything about his music is unique.

Sorry but 3 or 4 of those names are just not very promising. And Unique doesn't = good.

Sorry but 3 or 4 of those names are just not very promising. And Unique doesn't = good.

All about opinion, that list has variety. Chance the rapper is unique in a good way, spike said rap has been the same since the 90's, Chance certainly proves that wrong, so does the other rappers on that list.

In regards to rap, things started getting better in the noughteens (2010 onwards) Big Krit, Curren$y, Kendrick & J. Cole all released great mixtapes and Kanye gave us a classic. ASAP Rocky brought something new to the table in 2011, Kendrick gave us Section 80, guys like XV (Zero Heros tape) & Danny Brown were putting something different out.

All about opinion, that list has variety. Chance the rapper is unique in a good way, spike said rap has been the same since the 90's, Chance certainly proves that wrong, so does the other rappers on that list.

Absolutely. I haven't heard Chance, I don't think. For me, it just feels, like Spike said, Hip hop has stagnated. It's not anything that blows you away. It's all the same. There have only been a handful of albums that have replay value in the last 6 or 7 years. Like Blu's Below the Heavens, GKMC, MBDTF, Food and Liquor. But that's just how I feel.

Underground hip hop is still huge, even if mainstream hip hop dies or is dead I couldn't care less. Most of the music I listen to comes from the "bigger" independent artists anyway. Denzel Curry, Chris Travis, Xavier Wulf, Eddy Baker, Bones, etc all aren't signed on to labels but release free mistakes every few months, and make their money off of merchandise. Independent rap is a whole different world people should explore.

Underground hip hop is still huge, even if mainstream hip hop dies or is dead I couldn't care less. Most of the music I listen to comes from the "bigger" independent artists anyway. Denzel Curry, Chris Travis, Xavier Wulf, Eddy Baker, Bones, etc all aren't signed on to labels but release free mistakes every few months, and make their money off of merchandise. Independent rap is a whole different world people should explore.

Not everyone can explore it.

What does everyone think of Logic's new album?

Logic's story just isn't gripping enough, or he simply can't convey it in a compelling enough way. Needledrop will hit the nail on the head with his review. Production-wise.. it's not 'distinguishable' enough, the album has been mixed well/mastered and it's cohesive but most of the actual beats are pretty lukewarm.

This. Eminem put out SSLP and MMLP, Jay came with Resonable Doubt and topped it a few years later with Blueprint. Hopefully Kendrick does the same. Nas put out some amazing work, but none of it ever quite reached Illmatic status.

There's only one bar that relates to this sort of discussion;

Every CD critics gave it a 3 then three
Years later they go back and re-rate it
Then called the Slim Shady LP the greatest
The Marshall Mathers was a classic, the Eminem Show was fantastic
But Encore just didn't have the caliber to match it
I guess enough time just ain't passed yet
A couple more years that shit'll be Illmatic

DJ Premier & Royce Da 5'9 are releasing a joint album..

And holy fucking shit look at the tracklist..

RoyceDJPremier.jpg

1. PRHYME

2. Dat Sound Good (feat. Mac Miller & Ab Soul)

3. U Looz

4. You Should Know (feat. Dwele)

5. Courtesy

6. Wishin’ (feat. Common)

7. To Me, To U (feat. Jay Electronica)

8. Underground Kings (feat. Killer Mike & Schoolboy Q)

9. Microphone Preem (feat. Slaughterhouse)