The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

No, I did not mean apathy; that would indicate someone who is unable to emotionally connect at all. That was not my interpretation of what he said.

However, I did have my definitions of sympathy and empathy flip flopped.

From the grammarist:

Empathy vs. sympathy

When you understand and feel another’s feelings for yourself, you have empathy. It’s often spoken of as a character attribute that people have to varying degrees. For example, if hearing a tragic news story makes you feel almost as if the story concerns you personally, you have the ability to empathize.

When you sympathize with someone, you have compassion for that person, but you don’t necessarily feel her feelings. For instance, if your feelings toward someone who is experiencing hardship are limited to sympathy, then you might have a sense of regret for that person’s difficulty but are not feeling her feelings as if they’re your own. Meanwhile, sympathy has broader applications that don’t necessarily have to do with one person’s feelings for another. You can sympathize with a cause, for instance, or with a point of view that resonates with you.

http://www.afterpsychotherapy.com/empathy-vs-sympathy/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I disagree that empathy is the descriptive word that should be used. Empathy involves a deeper mode of understanding than sympathy with a person connecting or understanding what someone is going through (which is not what I got from the post) Apathy is indeed a bit strong to use but is probably closer (atleast to my interpretation of the post). Stoicism is probably the best term to use imo.

:)

I'm Spanish/Moroccan and I enjoy the premier league due to its history, clubs, and world wide prestige that attracted millions. First Chelsea game I ever witnessed was their Super Cup win in 98' as it was the only channel with an average signal, whist my family were cheering for Madrid, the conformist that I am, went for Chelsea. The Premier League possibly has the most international coverage hence the many Asian/american/African fans.

WTF does it mean?

WTF does it mean?

The popularity of the premier league is mostly due to its media expansion as it is televised more than any other league in the world if im not mistaken. I was a victim of it as a child having it be the only channel with football at the current time in my household. I grew to learn the club, the league, the history, and have been a proud supporter for 14 years. Think that is the case with many others in how they grew to watch the premier league rather than only watching it due to certain players playing in it, if that of course, was what you referring.

Bloody hell, Earthquake here in my house. Epicenter was the Iran and Pakistan border but it was so strong that the tremors were felt till New Delhi.

The magnitude was 8.

40 confirmed dead in Iran. Building damaged here for sure. Woah!!

I read on TOI about it. Is everything OK?

The popularity of the premier league is mostly due to its media expansion as it is televised more than any other league in the world if im not mistaken. I was a victim of it as a child having it be the only channel with football at the current time in my household. I grew to learn the club, the league, the history, and have been a proud supporter for 14 years. Think that is the case with many others in how they grew to watch the premier league rather than only watching it due to certain players playing in it, if that of course, was what you referring.

It has nothing to do with what I was talking, absolutely out of the park!

It was kind of tricky deciding whether to post this or not, but oh well.

I'm not trying to cause trouble, but genuinely trying to figure out more about who I am. SO. To the point -

Is there a 'term' (no, not "heartless" or anything like that) for people, like myself, who are unmoved and feel nothing when things such as this Boston 'explosions' happen? I consider myself quite well educated and generally nice with people I know, but if, for example, news was to come out that 2 thousand people had just died in this country in the most gruesome way possible, I'd barely reflect on it, if at all, and probably never think of it again.

From what I understand, it's 'normal' to grieve even for those you don't know or didn't like, but from my experiences (even with family members) I just don't seem affected. Of course that'll change the moment someone like my mum passes, but excluding that - is this considered odd? Is there a term for it?

I've been toying with the idea that I may be Schizotypal recently so perhaps that plays a part if i do indeed have that.

Hey Leif,

you are NOT Schizotypical dude.

http://psychology.about.com/od/personalitydevelopment/a/bigfive.htm

in personality everyone has more or less of five (there is now research on a sixth) 'attributes'. It would seem you are low on what psychologists call 'agreeableness'. This has subcomponents such as 'caring for others' and altruism. You can score 1 (on a scale of 1 to 9) which means that 96% of the worlds population feels more towards other people than you. You can also score 9 and be that guy on facebook that is 'affected' by everything!

All this is within normal range. So ... safe to say you are normal!

Ps: except for the shits of course :Goober:

@Stingray, I found a Belgian Beer Cafe in the Brisbane City a few days ago. Any reccomended food/drinks?

Well I posted a beer list a while back in a conversation with you .... drink em all!!!

Seriously, If you want to get hammered HUGELY: drink Duvel :Goober:

All the rest on that list are great, great beers, man!

Does anyone on here have or know anyone who has a Finnish Spitz dog? I think I want one.

I know "Google is my friend" but I'm just getting really bias info on there (well, from the sites I click on) regarding whether it's a decent dog or not.

They look rather small. Like a fox.

The reason for me being interested is the fact that (apparently) they're low cost as they're one of the healthier dog breeds and don't require much grooming and all that.

I'd probably go for one of those orange looking ones as opposed to the grey ones.

finnish_spitz.jpgFinnish_Spitz_side_web.jpgFinnish_Spitz_by_KitsuneKiara.jpgfinnish_spitz1.jpg

Does anyone on here have or know anyone who has a Finnish Spitz dog? I think I want one.

I know "Google is my friend" but I'm just getting really bias info on there (well, from the sites I click on) regarding whether it's a decent dog or not.

They look rather small. Like a fox.

The reason for me being interested is the fact that (apparently) they're low cost as they're one of the healthier dog breeds and don't require much grooming and all that.

I'd probably go for one of those orange looking ones as opposed to the grey ones.

finnish_spitz.jpgFinnish_Spitz_side_web.jpgFinnish_Spitz_by_KitsuneKiara.jpgfinnish_spitz1.jpg

My opinion, Leif: NEVER buy a dog that shits better turds than you do ......

My opinion, Leif: NEVER buy a dog that shits better turds than you do ......

I would feel rather intimidated, I admit. Something I'm keeping in mind is that if I get a big dog it'll likely have a bigger penis than me which could cause a lot of tension in my house. My jealousy would be obvious and could eventually cause us to part ways leaving a burning hole in my heart.