Official: Essien signs new deal

Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien has signed an extension to his contract with the West London side, keeping him at Stamford Bridge until 2015.

The influential midfielder has been out of the Chelsea side since December with a knee ligament injury but still featured in the Blues’ title triumph.

Essien enjoyed one of his best performances for the club last season at home against Wolves where only the crossbar denied him a hat-trick to cap a dream performance.

And the Ghana star is delighted that the club have demonstrated their desire to keep him at Stamford Bridge for another five seasons.

“I am looking forward to coming back and enjoying my football and winning more trophies with the club,” he said.

The midfielder has scored 22 times in his 185 appearances for the team and has established himself as a fans’ favourite in his five-year spell at Stamford Bridge

Essien will not feature for his country at this summer’s World Cup, and is instead focusing on being fully fit for the start of the club season in August.

Click here

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice to hear this news, hopefully he will avoid all those injuries. When he comes back, hopefully straight at the start of the next campaign, he will be something like a big money signing.

Much people on the Dutch soccer forums saying it is a surprise that he signed a new contract. But is it really a surprise? Wasn't it just like he is gonna sign the only question was: when?

Edited by Vincent

He added: "I am looking forward to coming back and enjoying my football and winning more trophies with the club. That is why I am here. I think it is one of the most important contracts in my career." Chelsea won both the Premier League and FA Cup this season and will start next term in the UEFA Champions League group stage.

Absolutely delighted when I heard this news the other day.

Having him back will be like signing a £30m+ player. He's the complete package and have everything the modern day footballer needs to be considered one of the best.

This could be the best signing we'll make this summer.