Luka Modric

DavidEU

Dzeko's a striker, we were talkig about midfielders.

Marin? Seriously? There's no way he's a better player than Modric and he's a winger anyway. You dissapointed me with that one LDN laugh.gif.

He is good, really good. His technique is awsome.

He is good, really good. His technique is awsome.

Don't get me wrong eldo, i know he's good. Great dribbler and very agile, a real handful. But there's no way he's a better player than Modric (right now), he still has a lot to prove too.

Don't get me wrong eldo, i know he's good. Great dribbler and very agile, a real handful. But there's no way he's a better player than Modric (right now), he still has a lot to prove too.

5 assists and 4 goals this season, 14 assists and 7 goals last season and similar stats at Borussia M'gladbach. I think he is already proving, and he is only 21. Could he be better than Modric? I think so.

Marin? Seriously? There's no way he's a better player than Modric and he's a winger anyway. You dissapointed me with that one LDN laugh.gif.

Don't underestimate Marin. Trust me, he's on his way to becoming great.. I remember saying the same thing about Ozil when he was signed for Bremen, he'd be a superstar.. Now look. If you look at Marin's performance in the Champions League vs Tottenham he was a great source of attack, he has great agility and pace and shows ball control we sometimes look at McEachran in awe. (I used to have similar hope for Aaron Hunt but he doesn't look to be any more attacking)

Don't worry, I didn't just pick these names out of a hat ;)

Hamsik stil has a lot to prove. I do see him becoming a great player but saying he's better Modric now is simply not true.

That's my point though. At the rate Hamsik is improving he's got all the sings of becoming better than Modric (I didn't make that clear, apologies). I think we're better off going for these kinds of players because they're reaching their peaks which look to go beyond Modric's level

I doubt you even follow Napoli, Wolfsburg and Bremen carloeyebrow.jpeg.

No, I do not. But I've got friends who do and they rate such players very highly (who also follow Modric). I've seen various performances too, especially from Hamsik in Serie A.. So I do have some background on these players :)

Edited by LDN Blue

Don't underestimate Marin. Trust me, he's on his way to becoming great.. I remember saying the same thing about Ozil when he was signed for Bremen, he'd be a superstar.. Now look. If you look at Marin's performance in the Champions League vs Tottenham he was a great source of attack, he has great agility and pace and shows ball control we sometimes look at McEachran in awe. (I used to have similar hope for Aaron Hunt but he doesn't look to be any more attacking)

Don't worry, I didn't just pick these names out of a hat ;)

Again, don't get me wrong. I know Marin and it's obvious he's got great potential. I remember watching his last season and one match in particular, against Valencia in the EL. He was great, driving their defence crazy with incredibly quick feet.

But there's so much that happen to a young player (personal problems, injuries, lacking consistency, wrong choices, bad guidance, not having the right mentality etc.) that can mess up his development or him not fulfilling his full potential. One of the main reasons why major clubs don't just buy every player with great potential. Look at the likes of Quaresma, Diego, Robinho, Berbatov, my good friend Cassano, millions of Brazilians who are/were supposed to be ''the new Ronaldo'' and so many more

All have the talent to be great great players but for different reasons never reached the greatness they could've turned out to be.

Marin hasn't proven anything (constantly) at the highest level so it would be wrong to say he is better than someone who has. And again, he's a winger anyway.

And about Özil, everyone who saw him play could see that happening whistling.gif. Still not a star yet though but well on his way.

And about your comment on Hamsik, you're acting as if Modric has reached his peak. He just turned 24, Hamsik is only one year younger than him.

Again, don't get me wrong. I know Marin and it's obvious he's got great potential. I remember watching his last season and one match in particular, against Valencia in the EL. He was great, driving their defence crazy with incredibly quick feet.

But there's so much that happen to a young player (personal problems, injuries, lacking consistency, wrong choices, bad guidance, not having the right mentality etc.) that can mess up his development or him not fulfilling his full potential. One of the main reasons why major clubs don't just buy every player with great potential. Look at the likes of Quaresma, Diego, Robinho, Berbatov, my good friend Cassano, millions of Brazilians who are supposed to be ''the new Ronaldo'' and so many more

All have the talent to be great great players but for different reasons never reached the greatness they could've turned out to be.

Marin hasn't proven anything (constantly) at the highest level so it would be wrong to say he is better than someone who has.

:clap:

Very good counter comment. You're certainly right about young players losing their way, especially with those chosen examples.

If we take this back on topic then, I'd love it if we signed Modric. He would do well in our squad, he's a great little playmaker and would work well with Lampard and Essien. However this all depends on the price we pay, certainly anything near £30million would be ridiculous for a player of this kind. I'd rather pay that for Van Der Vaart :lol: . If we did land Modric for near £25million then I'd call it reasonable(ish).

If we do not land him, then we must look at alternatives. Marin & Hamsik are up there with me at potential targets, but as you've rightly pointed out, it will all depend on their level of maturity and discipline.

Yeah i agree with Kostas, if we want to move forward we need to buy players of Shevchenko's ''world class'' calibre !

Shevchenko was a disaster but we can't possibly rule out signings of his calibre, especially with most of our truly world class players being over 30.

And about your comment on Hamsik, you're acting as if Modric has reached his peak. He just turned 24, Hamsik is only one year younger than him.

What would you say if Modric is 25, and Hamsik is 2 years younger than him. :D

Modric hasn't proved a lot at Spurs.

What would you say if Modric is 25, and Hamsik is 2 years younger than him. :D

Modrc hasn't oproved a lot at Spurs.

Haha i would say oopsie.

Still at a age where he can still grow a lot, especially since he's a midfielder/playmaker.

I think he has. I thought he was great last season and had a major influence in them finishing in 4th place and he's been doing great this season too. Modric isn't the most exciting player but he's so vital for his team. But then again, playmakers always were underrated by many.

:clap:

Very good counter comment. You're certainly right about young players losing their way, especially with those chosen examples.

If we take this back on topic then, I'd love it if we signed Modric. He would do well in our squad, he's a great little playmaker and would work well with Lampard and Essien. However this all depends on the price we pay, certainly anything near £30million would be ridiculous for a player of this kind. I'd rather pay that for Van Der Vaart :lol: . If we did land Modric for near £25million then I'd call it reasonable(ish).

If we do not land him, then we must look at alternatives. Marin & Hamsik are up there with me at potential targets, but as you've rightly pointed out, it will all depend on their level of maturity and discipline.

I still don't get how you see Marin as alternative. If the club/manager is looking for a midfielder, i don't know why they would be looking at a winger laugh.gif.

I still don't get how you see Marin as alternative. If the club/manager is looking for a midfielder, i don't know why they would be looking at a winger laugh.gif.

I heard he's been featuring as an attacking midfielder this season though? :unsure:

I heard he's been featuring as an attacking midfielder this season though? :unsure:

Ohw my bad then.

But i don't like the idea of a pure dribbler in the centre of the pitch in the Premier League though (too crowded). His passing never impressed me last season. But then again, maybe he improved his passing game..

Ohw my bad then.

But i don't like the idea of a pure dribbler in the centre of the pitch in the Premier League though (too crowded). His passing never impressed me last season. But then again, maybe he improved his passing game..

I'm the opposite. A midfielder who can dribble like Iniesta is invaluable as he can open up so much space by beating his marker. Deco at times was excellent at this but sadly he came about 7-8 years too late.

I'm the opposite. A midfielder who can dribble like Iniesta is invaluable as he can open up so much space by beating his marker. Deco at times was excellent at this but sadly he came about 7-8 years too late.

Iniesta and Deco aren't pure dribblers though. They are more the types to use a quick flicks to go past one man and they always know when to take on a man or just pass the ball. Marin is the type that likes to drive his markers crazy and go a little too far sometimes (at least that i saw him doing last season) and they wont take that here. They'll just kick him or ''sandwich'' him.

But again, i don't know how much he's grown or if he changed his style of play.

I agree with you though on having a player like that in midfied (can't play without one in PES halo.gif). That's why i was hoping for us to sign Van der Vaart, or at least a player like him, these past two, three transfer periods.

Iniesta and Deco aren't pure dribblers though. They are more the types to use a quick flicks to go past one man and they always know when to take on a man or just pass the ball. Marin is the type that likes to drive his markers crazy and go a little too far sometimes (at least that i saw him doing last season) and they wont take that here. They'll just kick him or ''sandwich'' him.

But again, i don't know how much he's grown or if he changed his style of play.

Iniesta isn't a pure dribbler? WHAT?!!? Iniesta ghosts past players like they aren't there.

In fact I remember watching the Youth FA Cup final last year and Josh McEachran was almost gliding past players in central positions which was so impressive.

He is good, but not worth 30 millions. Some comments make him look like better than Messi. Spurs wont sell him right now, specially when they are in the final stages of Champions League. He dont want to leave right now, since he want to play CL. Maybe in the summer a deal is possible...right now, no fucking way. Dont waste your time discussing this absurd and impossible deal.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You