Enzo Maresca Thread

I think we’re going to see quite a bit of that this summer. I was expecting it. 

Players like Sanchez & Disasi who were bought for relatively big money just 1 year ago were always going to stay and be given time by the club to see if they can be salvaged. These owners aren’t going to spend £25m on a keeper or £40m on a CB and then take a massive loss on them so soon afterwards.

3 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

We have petro kepa and Sanchez , 2 that are new, can't just keep buying keepers every season,

Maybe, but 26 27 is prime years if he's going to turn it on, it's now

Sanchez was always a good shot stopper. That's not my worry. 

My worry is that we are pretending Sanchez is is some Ederson level of distributing keeper when in reality he is worse than Kepa. 

4 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Sanchez was always a good shot stopper. That's not my worry. 

My worry is that we are pretending Sanchez is is some Ederson level of distributing keeper when in reality he is worse than Kepa. 

Not sure we are pretending, I just think ATM money is better spent elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

I agree, but with continuing with Petrovic and not Bozo Sanchez. 

If there are legit goalkeeper options who can play the part properly for <£25m then honestly that is nothing compared to the money we're spending on random kids who wont play for years. I don't believe that we're not going for someone but I do think it is the right thing to put out there that Enzo backs the keepers and thinks they're great, and make the directors the bad guys if they decide to sell / buy.

Honestly don't believe it one bit tbh

14 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

longest 3 years 2004-2007 in recent history- and we've had 20 managers since then averaging a year.

That's crazy, imagine the money spent on players for managers for the sake of a year, mind bogglingly really.

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Getting so fucking fed up with the "I can fix him" mindset. It's a myth Sanchez is good on the ball. Much like Kepa. 

Kepa was very good in Sarri season. 

1 hour ago, YorkshireBlue said:

GK imo is top three most important position on the field, there is a reason both Pep and Klopp spend a world record fee at the time on Edison and Allison. 

10 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

GK imo is top three most important position on the field, there is a reason both Pep and Klopp spend a world record fee at the time on Edison and Allison. 

Top 3 maybe, but when you have already bought 3 of them, you can't just keep buying keepers until one works out 😂

15 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Didn't see their level dropped with Kalleher and Ortega. 

Seriously, Behdad: it’s going fine. Don’t worry, Todd. Everyone knew the plan from the start. Sack the guy who won you the Champions League, sack the promising young coach you hired to replace him, sack the experienced blue-chip coach you hired to replace him, hire a guy from the Championship, raise ticket prices for the first time in 13 years. This is the process. We get it. We see it working. Meanwhile, all the best in next season’s Conference League.

i newspaper 

3 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Excellent interview tactic. What with these owners love for numerical analysis. 

Moneyball approach which certainly works in a stats-heavy game like Baseball.

Regarding Sanchez, I'd not read too much into it; it might be a message to the transfer market saying that we are not desperate to sign a goalie, in an attempt to lower the price.

2 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Five years is a bit optimistic - Jose was the longest 3 years 2004-2007 in recent history- and we've had 20 managers since then averaging a year.

Give it another year max before its Cheerio Enzo....

Yeahhhh it won't be 5 years! Def a year or so. That's bonkers when put that way!

Posted (edited)

There is a very good chance, even with the clown management, that there is a fixed termination fee in there. Just like there was when Pardew got 8 years or whatever it was. 

Anyway big welcome Maresca. I am not sure it will go great, but at this point I have my doubts about the direction of this club no matter the manager. 

Edited by calculatingInfinity

12 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Kepa was very good in Sarri season. 

his short arms doom him (and he is only 1.87m too and not super athletic so no crazy jump)

so many goals let in that a 1.92-1.96m (or more, but too tall and they start to get clumsy quite often) GKer with long arms would have saved