25. Moisés Caicedo

James

On 07/07/2024 at 22:48, NikkiCFC said:

It's up to manager. We have everything you want in our midfielders. Are we gonna have best midfield in the world or getting outplayed by Bournemouth It's completely on Maresca. First of all, they need to be played on right positions because everyone seems to have different idea where Enzo and Caicedo should play. Imo best for both is number 8 with Lavia behind. I don't see them working as solo 6 or in pivot together. Caicedo is fine in pivot with Gallagher or Lavia. Also Enzo is not good up as number 10. If Palmer or KDH are involved in MF Enzo should be dropped. 

enlighten me, did Maresca use Caicedo as a solo 6 in City's match? It was a truly atrocious performance from him.
I hope Maresca never uses Caicedo in that role again, but I'm afraid he will keep trying. He looks poor as a DM, don't ask him to fill that role.

What worries me more is that Caicedo doesn't even have good positional play. He still has very poor awareness. He can't shield the critical area in the center of the pitch, and he makes amateurish mistakes under slight pressure. It's sad to see.

In this current setup, Lavia is much, much better than Caicedo. While Lavia looks very capable as DM, Caicedo seems too amateurish to play this role

Edited by dimmas

6 hours ago, dimmas said:

enlighten me, did Maresca use Caicedo as a solo 6 in City's match? It was a truly atrocious performance from him.
I hope Maresca never uses Caicedo in that role again, but I'm afraid he will keep trying. He looks poor as a DM, don't ask him to fill that role.

What worries me more is that Caicedo doesn't even have good positional play. He still has very poor awareness. He can't shield the critical area in the center of the pitch, and he makes amateurish mistakes under slight pressure. It's sad to see.

In this current setup, Lavia is much, much better than Caicedo. While Lavia looks very capable as DM, Caicedo seems too amateurish to play this role

And you based all that on his first pre season game? Even though he's had less time to get to grips with the system, good work fella 👌

11 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

And you based all that on his first pre season game? Even though he's had less time to get to grips with the system, good work fella 👌

Am I losing my mind or did Caicedo not finish the season playing as a 6 with Cucu inverting to play next to him? And did he not look absolutely world class at all times?

17 minutes ago, Mhsc said:

Am I losing my mind or did Caicedo not finish the season playing as a 6 with Cucu inverting to play next to him? And did he not look absolutely world class at all times?

No mate, your not loosing your mind, I fear a few others have though 

He did improve a lot from his early games, in which he was pretty much a liability costing us points.

You take the whole season tho, and for me, he wasn't that great; certainly not the player people claimed he was at Brighton.

I expect him to resume playing at a good level (not his early season form), but I wouldn't project his end of the season form towards this season. Way too many variables esp around fitness levels and other sides losing interest. We were one of the few clubs still playing for something in the end.

We also need to take into account the new manager and system.

On 06/08/2024 at 11:03, Mhsc said:

Erm, no. Caicedo played well in the last month of the season, however I wouldn't say it was world class and I would also point to the fact that this only happened due to Cucu and Gallagher doing the heavy lifting that he had proven to be incapable of doing all season. 

I said last season that when Lavia gets fit, he takes Caicedo's place owing to his better technical skill and understanding of the deep lying CM role - I base this on what I saw of Lavia at Soton and Caicedo last year. For me, Caicedo either ends up:

a) in the utility role RDZ put him in at Brighton (as he also recognised his technical limits/physical gift to run around a lot - a fact that gets brushed over)

b) his starting minutes in CM will come when we have to play really defensive as he isn't getting in ahead of Fernadez as the ball playing CM. 

c) we move to a midfield three. 

He may start for the first couple of months owing to his fee, but if Lavia can stay fit and pick up Enzo's system, he will soon lose his place to him in a double pivot.

• 3 weeks later...