David Datro Fofana

ZAPHOD2319

9 minutes ago, nyikolajevics said:

Wow, nice one.. Good to see him scoring goal all created by himself, not only converting chances made by his teammates.

I am trying to find a video of his goal today that is not geo blocked

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

the twitter vid is from UK telly, so blocked outside of the UK (for example, here in Sweden for me)

I found the highlights from the Burnley FC club page on youtube, not sure if it's geoblocked...

https://youtu.be/ajAl7MlOfu8?si=VYQeAjUgtVpC4AlQ&t=74

2 hours ago, bluesman2610 said:

He's looking pretty good at Burnley. It is a PL loan and he's doing it against some tough opposition as well. I love how he bodies Gabriel from Arsenal in a few clips.

If nothing else, in the next preseason, the Chelsea coach should try a Jackson-Fofana front two for a few

On 20/03/2024 at 16:40, Blue Armour said:

If nothing else, in the next preseason, the Chelsea coach should try a Jackson-Fofana front two for a few

May sound crazy but feel he may need another loan. Trying to lead the line at Chelsea is such a thankless task with all the baggage that comes with it. That said, we are so desperate for a CF, so not bringing him back could backfire spectacularly if he went on to have a 20 goal season with someone else. 

Edited by King Kante

14 hours ago, King Kante said:

May sound crazy but feel he may need another loan

The same could be said about Jackson...and Mudryk...and Madueke....and then we realise why our attack is so bad, they don't have enough experience to play week in week out at this level. 

Fofana should definitely be given a run in pre-season to see what he's got.   

On 20/03/2024 at 14:42, bluesman2610 said:

He's looking pretty good at Burnley It is a PL loan and he's doing it against some tough opposition as well. I love how he bodies Gabriel from Arsenal in a few clips.

and Saliba, who is now the top valuation CB on the planet

3b7773f9178242ace1edfccb43973d68.png

Edited by Vesper

1 hour ago, Reddish-Blue said:

The same could be said about Jackson...and Mudryk...and Madueke....and then we realise why our attack is so bad, they don't have enough experience to play week in week out at this level. 

Fofana should definitely be given a run in pre-season to see what he's got.   

True

I would be okay selling Broja and keeping DDF for next season he gives us something different than Jackson. Saving the money on a striker and going all out for a RCB and LB if we can spend. I think formation tweaks are more important to our success at this point than the player purchases.

He looked pretty average to me when I watched him play. Granted, haven't paid much attention to Burnley who are sitting in 19th and at a sure spot for relegation. While it's wrong to pin their form to the striker (whoever that may be), it's also wrong disregard the striker in such context, IMO.

I always think comparisons like these are extremely difficult to make. Sometimes these teams play for one ball into their 9. So, these strikers have the luxury of little linkup play and their runs + positioning becomes more important.

At this level that's not good enough I'm afraid. You swap Broja with Fofana and it'd not surprise me one bit if numbers would be similar. That'd still not make either good enough.

Above there is numbers comparison with Jesus, who's notoriously not a great finisher, more like a false 9, if not winger. The difference is that Jesus is a whole other level on the ball, while these "small team strikers" have that one job only.

Maybe Fofana is improving a lot, and he's still young, so who knows? but honestly, I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by robsblubot

On 23/03/2024 at 11:07, robsblubot said:

Above there is numbers comparison with Jesus, who's notoriously not a great finisher, more like a false 9, if not winger. The difference is that Jesus is a whole other level on the ball, while these "small team strikers" have that one job only.

Compare young strikers to G.Jesus is just unfair, he went from the Brazilian league straight to City and played 5+ seasons for them.  

The one thing I like about Fofana is the raw talent, you can see he wants to make things happen.  I don't know if he'll be ready to play for Chelsea week in week out but considering Boehly's youth movement at the club, he'd fit right in with all the other youngsters we seem to be hoarding.