Aston Villa 0 - 2 Chelsea

ZAPHOD2319

Seen lots of Villa supporters including Chelsea reporter Matt Law complaining about how shit they are and how it’s far worse now than it was when Dean Smith was sacked. So in the form we’re in this theoretically should be a straightforward 3 points.

But with Reece unlikely to play it won’t be easy. Azpi starting instead makes us much easier to defend against.

So no Fofana and no Reese James, do Villa have fast players to punish us down their left / our right? Chalobah will have to step up and play well, I guess. Good test for Potter this, very interested what approach he takes with the team if Reese James is out for a while - Azpi every game can't / won't be the answer, so what will be I wonder?

I was curious if we could try playing both Chilwell and Cucu and have one of them play on the wrong side like an inverted winger, similar to many years ago when we moved Azpi to play LB.

3 hours ago, Mhsc said:

do Villa have fast players to punish us down their left / our right?

actually, not in a massive way at all

AMF/CMF
Jacob Ramsey  (has pace but is more of a CMF atm)

Wingers
Leon Bailey   (pacey but very erratic)
Philippe Coutinho   
Emiliano Buendía  

Ollie Watkins  (pacey CF)
Danny Ings  

On 14/10/2022 at 12:20, Reddish-Blue said:

This game has draw written all over it, would love to see us turn up and get the 3 points but I don't see it happening against a side that is hard to break down.  

I will lose my mind if we draw or lose

Must win game in order to keep within touching distance of the current top 3.

Lots of Villa supporters have soured on Gerrard and are calling for his job. They’ve apparently been playing some awful football this season. But due to Reece being out I think this will be a tight, slog of a match with them setting out to really frustrate us. So hopefully the players have the same desire to dominate this game as they did the Milan ones. Cannot afford to fall further behind.

Even though we’re currently sitting 4th with games in hand on the others above us, the table is pretty grim reading for us. We are already MILES behind in goal difference and goals scored.  It’s straight up embarrassing to see clubs with 10 or 20 more goals scored than us and +10-20 goal difference compared to us just 8 games into the season with the squad we have.

Absolutely imperative that we continue to beat sides like Wolves, Palace, and now Villa before we start playing the big boys.

Edit- and btw, I see we have Brentford midweek who are solid again this season with Toney scoring twice again yesterday and then United a week from now. So even more mandatory to win today. This next 7 days will tell us if we’re a serious team or not.

2 minutes ago, nyikolajevics said:

Cucurella LCB! Will be interesting..

let’s smash them, I love to see Gerrard’s “I have no idea what to do” panic face, remind me on same face he made when looking at Demba Ba 10 years ago.

You know he's already played Cucurella at LCB right? Lol 

So is it a back 3 with Cucu at CB and RLC RWB? Interesting.

Looks like Villa have either gone for maximum pace and pressing with Ings, Bailey, and Watkins or they’re sitting deep and hoping those 3 can spring lightning counters. Either way it should be a real test for a makeshift back line.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Must win game in order to keep within touching distance of the current top 3.

Lots of Villa supporters have soured on Gerrard and are calling for his job. They’ve apparently been playing some awful football this season. But due to Reece being out I think this will be a tight, slog of a match with them setting out to really frustrate us. So hopefully the players have the same desire to dominate this game as they did the Milan ones. Cannot afford to fall further behind.

Even though we’re currently sitting 4th with games in hand on the others above us, the table is pretty grim reading for us. We are already MILES behind in goal difference and goals scored.  It’s straight up embarrassing to see clubs with 10 or 20 more goals scored than us and +10-20 goal difference compared to us just 8 games into the season with the squad we have.

Absolutely imperative that we continue to beat sides like Wolves, Palace, and now Villa before we start playing the big boys.

Edit- and btw, I see we have Brentford midweek who are solid again this season with Toney scoring twice again yesterday and then United a week from now. So even more mandatory to win today. This next 7 days will tell us if we’re a serious team or not.

Least we've come out the minus goal difference..for now anyway...

6 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

RLC back at RWB. The moment James gets injured, we're in big trouble down the right. 

I have no idea how we went through another window without buying a backup.

100% on Tuchel for adamantly putting his foot down and blocking Azpi’s move to Barca. We absolutely would’ve brought someone in but Tuchel strongly told us all that he felt Azpi was still good enough.