Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

7 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Y’all hate Rice, damn. 🤣🤣🤣

It's not because he doesn't have a Brazillian name either. I wouldn't mind if we got him for what he is worth say around 35m - 45m. Nothing more.

Someone commented earlier that they weren't sure Enzo on his own would cure our midfield issues and I would agree, and I also feel the same regarding this statement about Bellingham. 

Both are potential world class players, and very safe picks in a discussion as to who would be amongst the top 3 - 5 midfielders in world football in the next 2-3 years. 

But we still need a more defensively minded player to sit alongside either one. Without that protection, particularly in a back 4 system we'll be left vulnerable in counter attack situations and greater emphasis would be placed on someone like an Enzo or Bellingham's defensive abilities, likely limiting or restricting their attacking output. In both their circumstances, you want either to be given a free role to go and dominate a game for us, similar in a way to how Kante has been given this freedom over the years (but not with the same attacking quality).

I honestly don't know if Rice is the answer or not to the above. I keep flip-flopping in my answer to this. He's probably the most obvious option out there but he's also the costliest. You'd like to think with the new recruiting network being set up, that there are other options out there far cheaper that could fulfil the role that Rice does, but either way it's just as important we get a player of that ilk from a defensive standpoint for the future.

2 hours ago, DDA said:

Enzo is on another planet in comparison to Rice. Its not even fair to compare Enzo within the same bracket. Rice is a workhorse, good at defending and bang average on the ball, almost a transit van of football.

Cannot believe what I'm reading. It's like comparing prime Essien and Steve Sidwell. 

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

The main thing people have to take into account about Rice vs these other options that doesn’t get mentioned often is that there’s no settling in period or adaptation for Rice. He’s got basically zero potential to fail or be a bust since he has already been performing at the top level in this league in a very specific role that can translate to any team really. He’s not someone who is asked to create or be a match winner or be a goal scorer. You can easily plug him into any of the current top teams and he’d be solid.

With players coming from another country and league it’s always a gamble on whether they can quickly adapt. And at over £100m you may want to minimize the risk and go for the safer choice.

Look what we’re experiencing now with Koulibaly. He was a beast last season in Italy and a dominant CB. Comes to the PL and has looked almost lost at times dealing with the dramatically quicker pace of the play. Imagine spending £100m or more and going through this. Definitely something to consider.

You also have to consider that with Rice is impossible to play attractive, offensive football. I mean do people really believe that if Mount and Rice are our 2 of 3 starting midfielders for next 5-10 years we can be successful? That team not only would not be able to fight for title but with the way some teams are progressing like Arsenal and Newcastle cannot see even reaching top4. 

And yes, Jorginho can absolutely unlock defence with one single pass. 

10 minutes ago, Pizy said:

It's nothing to do with hate (certainly not on my part anyway) I just don't think he suits the system we play atall.

I remember last year when I made a similar argument with Lukaku and I was told it doesn't matter because he scores goals.

23 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I didn't watch the world cup and, up to now, have avoided watching video of Enzo but, blimey, I better watch some now. 

Haha, it was a bit in jest but regardless I feel if we sign Rice we will be needing something more within a couple of years. Watching him then in comparison watching Enzo, Bruno G etc at our rivals will really hammer that feeling home.

12 minutes ago, DDA said:

It's not because he doesn't have a Brazillian name either.

I absolutely despise it when that narrative is pulled out and it's usually to defend allright in some areas but flawed in others players like Rice or Cahill.

as much as some people do not rate Rice (I rate him, but not at the top top of my wish list)

I DO NOT want Pickford as our keeper!

ffs

go for all of these before him (Plus we have Slonina eventually)

Jan Oblak 
Emiliano Martínez 
Dominik Livakovic
Giorgi Mamardashvili 
Illan Meslier
Odysseas Vlachodimos   

younger

Matvey Safonov 
Anatoliy Trubin
Maarten Vandevoordt

7 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Also just like we aren’t going to sign Joao Felix on loan.

I mean why would Atletico loan out someone who cost them upwards of 100m when it is clear he is open to leaving and they are open to a sale? Doesnt benefit then at all - I mean look at the whole Saul situation here, where we had an option to buy him, they aren't falling for that shite again. 

Because no one wants to buy him. 

While I do not believe Enzo will happen and generally dislike shedding 120m on a single player he is the type of midfielder I could most likely live with spending  a fortune on.

He impacts the pitch on both ends and thus has a better lever to enhance our overall performances. When you spend 100m on a striker  like Lukaku you want to see goals and once he hits a barren spell or misses some good chances, he is already labeled a flop and has to dig himself out of a whole. Similar with goalies or defenders when they commit a stupid mistake that costs a goal, they become a joke like Maguire. the perception is very black and white, the pressure is all negative. Not everybody can deal with that. For a midfielder, esp one who is involved in defence and attack - unless you turn in a Saul or Bakayoko  performance regularly - there is always a way back. You can redeem a missed pass with a great tackle or a wayward shot with a high pressing run. Look at Mount. Has played like a zombie for most of the season but a nice goal yesterday and for most casual Chelsea fans all is forgotten. The human brain likes simplicity and all-action midfielders simply have more tools to blur the lines. This does not make them better players but it makes them constantly face less negative pressure and hence may we.l make a big money signing more likely to succeed.

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

For the price tag that West ham want, absolutely. 

Inflation or not, it would be like watching West Ham rob us blind if we ended up paying anywhere near 80 million for Declan Rice. 

Fabinho was 50 million, Rodri was 60 million....there's no way Declan is worth more than that but West Ham will just use Grealish's fee as the benchmark. 

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

Because no one wants to buy him. 

Seen somewhere reporting it would cost £15-16m all in for half a seasons loan fee and his wages for any club who wanted him. Then theres the will there be or wont their be an obligation to buy. Think the express already reporting Todd Boehly considering adding it…. which again, not convincing. 

Anyway, 33 goals in 129 games for Atletico. Then 1 impressive World Cup performance and another half decent game. Would say avoid. 

Funnily enough the clubs he’s mainly linked with, us, United and Arsenal all either have injuries to CFs (Jesus & Broja) or just got rid of a striker (Ronaldo). Then Newcastle and Aston Villa are also linked. 

6 hours ago, Vesper said:

IF there is no tax liability and those reports were bullshit

then I do buy into the possibility we may be offering more than the  €120m realise clause in order to get favourable repayment terms

it also could be both things combined

Fabrizo has basically confirmed this on YouTube. Paying it all in one go will give us problems with FFP. 

Edited by Hashishi

29 minutes ago, Hashishi said:

Fabrizo has basically confirmed this on YouTube. Paying it all in one go will give us problems with FFP. 

He said Benfica want it done the first few days in January IF a club is going to trigger his clause and he agrees

they do not want to drag it out into late in the January window

Chelsea to discuss personal terms with Enzo Fernandez after agreeing to pay huge release clause for Argentina star

https://www.lfclive.net/news/Chelsea-to-discuss-personal-terms-with-Enzo-Fernandez-after-agreeing-to-pay-huge-release-clause-for-Argentina-star-1163862

Chelsea will enter personal talks with Enzo Fernandez after agreeing to pay Benfica's huge release clause in their bid to sign him in January. Chelsea however appear to have blown their rivals out of the water, agreeing to pay the midfielder's €120million release clause. According to The Sun, Chelsea have met with both Benfica president Rui Costa and super-agent Jorge Mendes, with the Blues confirming they will have no issue in meeting that huge release clause. It now leaves Chelsea free to open talks with the player and his representatives as they seek to agree personal terms.