Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Bruno G is under contract at Newcastle for another several years. There’s absolutely zero chance Newcastle would even pick up the phone if we (or anyone else in the PL) came calling. Not like they need money since they have unlimited cash now. They probably see themselves as a club who will be on the same level as the Big 6 within the next 2-3 years so selling their best player now undermines that effort.

Like most other Brazilians who attract attention at smaller clubs, he’ll likely end up at Barca or RM in a year or two.

4 hours ago, Pizy said:

Bruno G is under contract at Newcastle for another several years. There’s absolutely zero chance Newcastle would even pick up the phone if we (or anyone else in the PL) came calling. Not like they need money since they have unlimited cash now. They probably see themselves as a club who will be on the same level as the Big 6 within the next 2-3 years so selling their best player now undermines that effort.

Like most other Brazilians who attract attention at smaller clubs, he’ll likely end up at Barca or RM in a year or two.

makes sense, but regarding the bolded part, that'd be a failure of Newcastle "project."

9 hours ago, Jype said:

This guy sure seems passionate about joining Chelsea, it seems. 😂

Watching his YouTube reel and some of the passes this lad executes are just pure magic. He sure has crazy potential. 

6 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

This is where I hope our new recruitment team comes in. 

Hopefully we buy some under the radar CMs that will improve us. 

To be fair to the previous ones, they did try to buy Bellingham from Birmingham but he/his advisors were not interested.

His actions then are part of what motivates my conviction that we won't get him. I was desperate that we should buy Bellingham but, when we and Utd tried to, he accepted an invitation to visit Carrington, but it was reported that he turned down the opportunity to look around Cobham. That was when Dortmund were the main competition. Now his options will be the best teams, and/or the biggest clubs, in the world. Our squad builders should make a pitch for Bellingham of course, but they shouldn't waste any emotional energy on the idea that we'd actually get him.

10 hours ago, Jype said:

This guy sure seems passionate about joining Chelsea, it seems. 😂

A really encouraging factor in the calculation about whether to chase him or not.

7 hours ago, Vesper said:

I think he has mad potential. 100% in favour of this buy.

Do you remember if this the same Russian kid we were linked with previously? I watched some videos of that player and remember feeling that there was something there though I don't think I felt as positive as this. I'll take another look

7 hours ago, Artandur said:

Feels like he's coming here, even if he has to run down his contract

Very encouraging

1 hour ago, DDA said:

Watching his YouTube reel and some of the passes this lad executes are just pure magic. He sure has crazy potential. 

Very, very encouraging.

10 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

A really encouraging factor in the calculation about whether to chase him or not.

Do you remember if this the same Russian kid we were linked with previously? I watched some videos of that player and remember feeling that there was something there though I don't think I felt as positive as this. I'll take another look

Very encouraging

Very, very encouraging.

yes, the same one

In a recent interview Edson Alvarez mentions his upset about his failed transfer to Chelsea last summer. I'm curious what people here think of him. To me he's a decent player but the good kind of decent, he really knows his strength and weakness altough I'm personally always very skeptical with rated Eredivisie players.

5 hours ago, Vincent said:

In a recent interview Edson Alvarez mentions his upset about his failed transfer to Chelsea last summer. I'm curious what people here think of him. To me he's a decent player but the good kind of decent, he really knows his strength and weakness altough I'm personally always very skeptical with rated Eredivisie players.

I think he's a good player but like a lot of players, I just don't think he justifies the price tag Ajax will want, and particularly when he's unproven in a league stronger than the Eredivisie.

His profile as a DM is something we're missing, but his passing isn't anything special and I worry in particular about that part of his game in a league that is played at a quicker tempo. He'd provide us with a much more solid defensive base within the midfield and also add a physical presence in there, but I think people would quickly become frustrated with him being able to 'play' to a high enough level.

I begrudge spending the sort of money West Ham will want for Rice but if we're comparing the two, I see a more rounded player in Rice who can do both sides of the game (granted we're not talking playmaking ability, but he is capable of driving with the ball and passing through the lines). 

The longer-term outlook has to be finding players like Alvarez earlier in the process when he's £5, 10, 15m. I think if the ownership can get a couple of European clubs into the 'group' they're looking to build, a team or two in places like Holland and Portugal will hopefully provide a base to be able to look at heavily scouting areas such as North and South America without worrying about work permits. We can just park these players for a couple of years until they develop hopefully to a quality to play for Chelsea.

9 hours ago, Vincent said:

He is the exact type of player zakaria is but slower. There is absolutely no point in exchanging the too if there apparently is no room for either 

13 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

He is the exact type of player zakaria is but slower. There is absolutely no point in exchanging the too if there apparently is no room for either 

I think the club has to be very careful with the January window. The urge will be there to buy a midfielder, but realistically which ones are out there who we'll be looking at potentially being starting quality in this side for years to come? When we're talking the ones which could become long term lynchpins within the team - Rice, Bellingham, potentially someone like Enzo Fernandez, they are not moving in January.

I'd like to hope that Zakaria gets a start in the Dinamo and City games before the break. Just simply to be able to see at the very least what we might have with him. My feeling is that we should try and soldier on to the end of the season with what we have. The hope is there is something there in Zakaria to at least provide a useful squad role for the rest of the season and at the very least staying fit so far in training has to be some sort of positive with him given some of his injury issues recently. There is the possibility of also getting at least something out of Kante perhaps from around February onwards in the season run in (and bear in mind he'll be looking to play for a contract here or elsewhere).

The other possibility is that I've seen we've been linked a few times with Laimer at Leipzig on a free transfer next summer. Given the surgery likely needed to our midfield where we may need 2 or 3 new signings, I wouldn't be against bringing him in on a free transfer. He's not a world beater but he's a good player, like Alvarez is (albeit different profile), but he's not someone we'd be taking a £40-50m chance on. If he didn't work out, we'd be able to easily move him back to Germany in a year or two without concerned about trying to recoup money on a huge investment.

I guess the possibility if we get him signed to a pre contract agreement is to see if Leipzig would sell him 6 months early to us for a few million?