Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

4 minutes ago, lucio said:

They have no right to be angry after they scammed us for cucarella and Potter. They should sell at a fair price 

Fair to them and fair for us are probably very different. They probably think Rice money is fair.

I can see us going to £80-85m but hopefully we go nowhere near £100m.

Just need to stick to our guns and not go past the £80M mark. I feel that price is more than fair and it seems like Caicedo's camp also feel the same way. Brighton cannot afford to go back on their word and create that sort of image for their club, as it could effect players decisions going forward.

We are insane if we sell Colwill unless (and this is simply not happening from all I can see) we have Gvardiol on the books. Only other left footed CB who is at a truly acceptable level as Levi's potential AND is remotely available is Bastoni.

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

We are insane if we sell Colwill unless (and this is simply not happening from all I can see) we have Gvardiol on the books. Only other left footed CB who is at a truly acceptable level as Levi's potential AND is remotely available is Bastoni.

With Badiashile and Fofana injured it’s even more impossible than it already was that he’d be allowed to leave. He should 1000% be our starting LCB against Liverpool on match day 1.

3 minutes ago, Pizy said:

With Badiashile and Fofana injured it’s even more impossible than it already was that he’d be allowed to leave. He should 1000% be our starting LCB against Liverpool on match day 1.

After Gvardiol and Bastoni (Alaba, who is too old to buy and would never come here is the only other truly proven WC left footed CB besides those two atm), the only other left footed CBs of high enough quality who are remotely availlabe and who would be ready to go and start some games are, IMHO (and the last 3 of these are dice rolls). The market is tight AF

The best options by far after Gvard and Basti:

Sven Botman 
Nico Schlotterbeck

Then

Presnel Kimpembe (last summer to buy him, as he will be 29yo a little over a year from now, on August 13, 2024. He has probably 4 max top seasons left NOW)

then dice rolls, all with huge potential 

Micky van de Ven  (Pool want him badly,  he could easily end up the best of these 6, but tgat is not a lock)
Piero Hincapié   
Gonçalo Inácio    

11 hours ago, Pizy said:

Really? I’ve watched his highlights from this last season and he looks like the complete striker. Pace, power, fantastic technique for a big guy, scores and assisted like a machine. Looks like the sort of striker that, even when he isn’t scoring, will contribute to the team. He’s also young enough to still get better and better.

True, if they demand 100m we obviously shouldn’t go near that. But if they’d accept 70-80 I think he’s the best option on the market. I’m certainly WAY more impressed by him than Hojland who United are about to overpay for.

Scores like a machine? He scored 20 or more goals in all competitions for the first time last season, and in a few months, he will turn 25.

The absolute most I'd consider spending is £50m, and even then, there's still a chance it may go the way of the last two players we acquired from the Bundesliga.

36 minutes ago, Vesper said:

This is exactly what came to mind. If Liverpool were to offer £80m for someone who was even a regular at Brighton, I'd snap their hands off and use that cash to reignite our interest in Gvardiol, seeing as the links with City have died down.

As good as Bastoni is, do we really want to deal with Inter again after the last two seasons?

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

So Ornstein says that we’ve already sent in a bid yesterday of £70m fixed with no add-ons whereas all the others are saying that we will be sending a bid in of over £70m fixed with add-ons at some point this week.

At least we’re actually putting money on the table now instead of just talking. But we surely knew £70m wasn’t going to move Brighton. Don’t want to risk pissing them off and offering him to one of our rivals instead.

Feels a bit like the Enzo saga where Caicedo really seems to want to come to Chelsea but we have to kinda be delicate with Brighton for fear of angering them. But we HAVE to push this through this week before more clubs join in and start a bidding war.

We are not at risk of pissing them off, this is just how negotiations work, being patient and slowly bidding at sensible amounts is the only way to get the deal done if we want to pay only sensible money for him. The hilarious thing of course is that both sides will be trained negotiators, who know what the other is doing, and will be totally unsurprised and definitely not offended. We're not even doing anything underhanded, like Liverpool seem to be trying with Colwill - what we must not do is speak to the player and tell him to go on strike, or do anything inappropriate.

We could only have got this situation resolved quickly if we had overpaid, or already bid our final number and then walked away if they didn't accept. The former is a poor tactic as by definition it means we overpay. The latter is a poor tactic as they will definitely reject an offer that we have not compromised on, and will feel empowered to tell Caicedo that we've not made the kind of serious effort or serious offer that it would take. If we move up from our initial number too quickly then it reveals that it was never serious in the first place, and is not actually an anchor point in the negotiation. We have to be seen to be making every compromise, that we are bending over backwards to make it happen, that we went to every length, until we eventually have gone up a great deal and put down that final offer that they either have to take or leave.

Edited by Mhsc

16 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

As good as Bastoni is, do we really want to deal with Inter again after the last two seasons?

Valid point, and it really sucks that the natural alternative to Caicedo (Barella) is also Inter

plus the next two, below them, Schlotterbeck (Dortmund) and Botman (NUFC) are hardly easy pulls either

left footed, top class CBs are like hen's teeth