Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

https://theathletic.com/4171421/2023/02/10/Chelsea-selling-lukaku-pulisic-ziyech/

SUMMARY

* Boehly and Clearlake believe the depictions of the financial risk they have taken during these first seven months of ownership are overstated.

* The new owners are adamant deals for Mudryk, Enzo and W. Fofana fit into a broader push to bring the wage bill down to a more sensible, sustainable level, with compensation also tied to playing time and Champions League participation.

* The focus is now on new homes for a significant number of Abramovich signings who are on “Chelsea premium” contracts that still have several years left to run.

* Timo Werner was the first deal in this process, he had a remaining value in the books of £28.5m and was sold for £25m, taking a slight loss, but offloading his large wages, and freeing up squad space.

* Lukaku remains an issue. This summer, he will have a book value of £58.5m. From an FFP perspective, a second loan to Inter is likely, unless Potter wants him back.

* Boehly and Clearlake will need to make a decision about Christian Pulisic, Hakim Ziyech and Kepa Arrizabalaga, three good footballers who have seen their market value affected by mediocre performances and large salary deals.

* Kalidou Koulibaly and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang are also highly paid players towards the end of their careers who will be difficult to move on.

* Boehly and Clearlake will find it difficult to emulate the track record of Marina Granovskaia primarily due to the profound changes in the landscape of the transfer market since those deals were done.

* Europe’s biggest clubs can still pay Premier League salaries but are rarely in the market for expensive and underperforming Premier League assets.

* Unless Chinese clubs are suddenly granted renewed licence to pour the kind of money into the European transfer market that they did in the mid-2010s, Chelsea’s best hope of realising any significant value for players they no longer want or need, will be selling to other Premier League clubs.

6 minutes ago, Hashishi said:

* Boehly and Clearlake will need to make a decision about Christian Pulisic, Hakim Ziyech and Kepa Arrizabalaga, three good footballers who have seen their market value affected by mediocre performances and large salary deals.

* Kalidou Koulibaly and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang are also highly paid players towards the end of their careers who will be difficult to move on.

garbage in, garbage out

😓

The hell do I keep reading tweets suggesting we may sell Chilly to City this summer? I have said several times that I believe Cucu will become a solid player for us in the long run but selling Chilly makes absolutely zero sense. He offers the attacking threat that Cucu doesn’t.

3 minutes ago, Pizy said:

The hell do I keep reading tweets suggesting we may sell Chilly to City this summer? I have said several times that I believe Cucu will become a solid player for us in the long run but selling Chilly makes absolutely zero sense. He offers the attacking threat that Cucu doesn’t.

Injury prone, 2 years left, big decisions this summer.

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

David Luiz    Paris Saint-Germain    Paris SG    €35.00m

That wasnt bad buy, we won championship and europe league with him, tried to slowly replace him with Christensen (not Luiz fault he shat his pants) and sold him in the right moment.

Edited by ulvhedin

43 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Neither of them are anything special imo

19 hours ago, Tomo said:

Got a nasty feeling Lukaku is getting another chance.

Yeah same. GP is defos gonna at least include him in the pre-season to see what like he is then make a decision.

15 hours ago, Hashishi said:

We could use him to get Barella, although he is a pipedream. Imagine an Enzo Barella pivot.

Never ever going to get Barella. Ever. 

2 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

You said also Enzo and Felix no chance are coming. 

Said Enzo wasn’t coming if we didn’t pay the release clause. Which we did. Then on deadline day I think 3/4s of us said he might not come which it did look incredibly unlikely at times with the reports about the deal. 

And said originally after thinking they wouldn’t loan him that Felix wont be coming (on a cheap - which people thought we would get him for) unless we meet Atletico’s astronomical prices for a 6 month loan plus paid all of his salary. Which we did. For what almost £14m quid all in.

Plus If Enzo cost €121m or whatever on a release clause how much do you think a genuine world class midfield player who is hugely proven and one of the Italian NTs key players, will cost? Not any other club, but us? And thats before even debating if he would leave Italy? We had a chance to get him under Sarri and didn’t. Wont happen.