Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

15 minutes ago, Vesper said:

They legally cannot demand more than the release clause. If we bank wired the €120m to wherever it needs to go, Enzo (as he has already agreed perso Al terms with us) is going to be a Chelsea player, nothing Benfica can do to legally stop it.

They can't prevent us triggering the clause that is correct obviously.

What they can do, and I believe are (or were) doing, is to point out that a 'standard' transfer, even for an amount above the clause figure, can actually cost Chelsea less because of the tax implications. That is already better for The Blues, even without the advantage that comes from being able to amortise the accounting of a standard transfer fee for FFP reporting. They can argue that it would therefore be in Chelsea's interests to pay a higher figure specifically to avoid the clause, and they would be right.

This is what I believe is behind those reports which have claimed the we offered more than €120m. The latest number I've seen quoted (in this thread) is £115m, which is well north of €120m of course.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

Just now, TheHulk said:

Boehly spent 500M looks like he wanted to build Rome in one season and instead he is building a village.

That's your interpretation.

I think it's important to put things into context and really split the summer from this window when we've started to put together a structure more along the lines of what the club is looking to do in the long term. We've bought some players in who are extremely highly rated young talents, and whilst its very early days, I think the signs are promising for Mudryk and Badiashile that they will become extremely important players here for a long time.

Madueke I think is only a risk purely on injury history but he's another that adds pure pace and the ability to attack defenders which we've lacked since the likes of Willian and Hazard left the club. 

And Gusto is arguably the highest rated young right back around who we've signed up.

And if reports are true, Nkunku too.

I look at these moves with a lot of positivity that there is a lot of talent there to help us short term but also an enormous amount of potential to help us even more long term. 

The midfield clearly needs to be sorted out, but if Enzo doesn't happen now, I'd rather we hold firm and sort things in the summer than go for short term fixes or panic buys. I'm hoping the Gusto deal suggests that the club moving forward are more prepared to wait to get their top targets rather than settling with who is the best target now.

9 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Think a lot of that is clouded by the fact we  weakened a position that was already in a terrible state by selling Jorginho whilst bringing in no one. 

I think the bigger picture needs looking at. 

Chances of us either winning the Champions League or making top 4 are probably at best about 20%.

Most people have wanted us to get rid of Jorginho for years, and we now have an option to take £12m for a player who we'd expected was leaving for nothing anyway. It's a great deal that we have to run with in my opinion.

If we're left a little short for now, so be it. Give one of the young players a go in there. Personally I'd have no problem giving Webster a couple of games whilst we're still waiting on players to come back from injury if we're short on players in there. 

Not sure what to think, if the number on offer is agreeable and they just want it upfront I assume we can sort that. Do not believe we will trigger clause+tax under any circumstances, so if that is the real deal then this whole thing is off but if that were true we would not have been there or 2 days negotiating. Most likely there is some way to still get him but if the club have given up fair enough, it is a lot of money and a lot of risk so they have to do what feels right on balance to them. It is money once spent we can't spend elsewhere after all.

1 minute ago, Superblue said:

I think the bigger picture needs looking at. 

Chances of us either winning the Champions League or making top 4 are probably at best about 20%.

Most people have wanted us to get rid of Jorginho for years, and we now have an option to take £12m for a player who we'd expected was leaving for nothing anyway. It's a great deal that we have to run with in my opinion.

If we're left a little short for now, so be it. Give one of the young players a go in there. Personally I'd have no problem giving Webster a couple of games whilst we're still waiting on players to come back from injury if we're short on players in there. 

Lol who is Webster ? Is this amateur hour? We are world champions 

1 minute ago, Hashishi said:

Is enzo off?

It is not looking so good atm, subject to change. We are all flying pretty blind. I would say it is 60/40 no deal for him atm. There has been so much fake news and rumours since the WC tgat it is really hard to suss it all out.

Will be a meltdown on here if it doesn’t happen for whatever reason and somebody else goes and signs Enzo in the summer 😂

I think this transfer this month has been built up as its now or never (as in January only) and I would totally agree that it’s that sense. We 100% won’t get a clean run at him in the summer and will be outside the CL spots undoubtedly so I don’t think he will move here come the summer.

We better hope there is a plan B, and has Jorginho officially moved to Arsenal or not?

Edited by OneMoSalah

21 minutes ago, TheHulk said:

The owners are so delusional think everyone knew 6 installments was to much from the get go, how about you offer something that's eye catching for them instead of this shit.

I don't suppose we will ever get to read the full facts of this negotiation, but would I love to see them. I simply do not believe that the structure of the payments matters a fig to Chelsea's owners. As @Vesper pointed out in an earlier post, the numbers being discussed are trivial amounts to them. All that matters is what fits, or doesn't fit, for FFP accounting. The clause, if formally triggered, means no FFP amortisation and that, we must infer from Chelsea's behaviour, means we would fail FFP. On the other hand, a 'standard' transfer, regardless of whether we pay it all up front, or in instalments, can be amortised for FFP accounting. The standard transfer, we must infer again, would mean that Chelsea can pass FFP.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie