Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

17 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

however I stand by the idea we have zero knowledge of what actually happened

I believe that Benfica are telling the truth, they have never been a dodgy club that I know of, and I have always respected Rui Costa, plus I think Schmidt is a great manager

they have been so public and so consistent about it after it happened that it would mean the entire top of the organisation would be making something up if it is not true

Chelsea target Enzo Fernandez 'out of Benfica match tonight' as transfer tussle continues

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1717724/Chelsea-news-Enzo-Fernandez-Benfica-transfer-tussle

Chelsea target Enzo Fernandes will not be in the Benfica squad for Friday's match against Portimonense as he continues to be linked with a January move to Stamford Bridge, according to reports. The Blues have been locked in talks with Benfica regarding their interest in Fernandez over the last few weeks, although a deal is yet to be struck at club level as things stand.

There have been issues in terms of agreeing a transfer fee, with Benfica adamant that Fernandez will only be allowed to leave the club this month if Chelsea are willing to pay his nine-figure release clause. The Blues are yet to give in, though, and have even reportedly offered three of their own players in a part-exchange deal that was swiftly rebuffed by those in power at Benfica.

It was claimed on Thursday that negotiations at club level were at risk of fizzling out, but it seems as though the move remains in the works in spite of Chelsea's reluctance to meet Benfica's demands as of yet. Fernandez will not feature for his current employers against Portimonense on Friday evening, according to Portuguese newspaper A Bola, which suggests that his immediate future is still very much in the balance. Fernandez was said to have skipped training last week in order to make an unauthorised trip to Argentina, which angered Benfica officials prior to his return on Tuesday. 

25 minutes ago, Vesper said:

eek

Meh, for me he is just a much smarter version of Kondue move. He is also dynamic and can handle the ball but also is big and reasonably priced. There is Silva and, in theory, KK to be a tank of clinical defender to cover for second CB mistakes. I feel like we were always trying to set up a pair this way. He may be molded into more conservative CB when paired with Fofana I guess, but I doubt he is an instant Silva replacement.

Also, those guys claim we don't need CM but rather pull a striker out of thin air, so there is that.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

Anyone who thinks the entire Benfica organisation (who are amongst the more straight dealers in the big 10 leagues) is just making shit up is delusional

we fucked up badly, and I can see this becoming an ultimate 'split the TC board' event, where you have some hardliners who refuse to admit we fucked up badly

Boehly's word is now tarnished across Europe to a point, and if we nightmarishly do this again, we are WELL FUCKED in the transfer market as long as he is involved with us and it.

Marina did not do this type of shit, she didn't play games and lead clubs on in monster deals (and I have some gravitas backing me up on that, as most know I was far from her biggest fan) 

PLUS, we are not getting a profoundly needed player who had a damn good chance of of being quite transformational

You mean the same Marina that led us to signing a rubbish striker for 95 million from Inter Milan who then proceeded to go back to Inter Milan after 1 season on a loan. 

Playing games and trying to negotiate is just part of the business.  I don't recall any tier 1 sources like Ornstein say that Chelsea were ready to pay the release clause for Enzo.  

I'm quite satisfied that we aren't going to pay the release clause for Enzo.  The kid is good but he's not worth 120 million, far from it.

This is the first time that the club appears to be using the knowledge of the new footballing director to try and get a better deal.  

34 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Meh, for me he is just a much smarter version of Kondue move. He is also dynamic and can handle the ball but also is big and reasonably priced. There is Silva and, in theory, KK to be a tank of clinical defender to cover for second CB mistakes. I feel like we were always trying to set up a pair this way. He may be molded into more conservative CB when paired with Fofana I guess, but I doubt he is an instant Silva replacement.

Also, those guys claim we don't need CM but rather pull a striker out of thin air, so there is that.

my 'eek' was because they just seemed so negative about everything

33 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

I don't recall any tier 1 sources like Ornstein say that Chelsea were ready to pay the release clause for Enzo.  

you are conflating 2 seperate things, between holding talks that insinuated we were going to pay it with inner circle intent to apparently NOT pay it

Jude Soonsup-Bell to leave Chelsea this month

https://theathletic.com/4060920/2023/01/06/jude-soonsup-bell-Chelsea-departure/

Chelsea, Jude Soonsup-Bell

Chelsea academy striker Jude Soonsup-Bell is going to leave the club this month.

The Athletic reported in November that the highly-rated forward, who turns 19 next week, was considering his future at Chelsea and this was likely going to be his last season at Stamford Bridge.

Soonsup-Bell’s current deal expires in the summer, but talks over an extension stalled last January when he began to consider his future. The teenager has now decided to bring forward his departure.

Clubs in the Premier League and elsewhere in Europe have been monitoring the situation and are ready to take advantage of Soonsup-Bell becoming available. The terms of his exit will have to be discussed between Chelsea and his next team, but won’t be a problem.

The teenager made his senior debut for Chelsea under previous coach Thomas Tuchel just 13 months ago and has been touted as a great prospect at the club’s academy for some time.

For example, during the 2019-20 campaign, he scored 26 goals in all competitions for various Chelsea youth sides in just 17 appearances. In February 2021, he became the first Chelsea player in 59 years to score four times in a FA Youth Cup tie.

Despite playing just 122 minutes for the Under-21s in the Premier League 2 this season, he has still scored two goals and registered an assist.  

One of the reasons for Soonsup-Bell’s departure, after seven enjoyable years at Chelsea, is that he is considering the pathway into the first team and that he will benefit from going elsewhere.

18 minutes ago, TheHulk said:

Amazing new 340k on a 3 year contract for Kante. Give a 5 one to Jorginho as well while at it.

WTF

that's €130m (£116m) in salary (would be over €150m if Kante signed for 4 years like KK) combined over the next 3 years for Kante and 4 for KK!!!!!!!

#fuckthisshit

Edited by Vesper

Better to have some contract in place than letting him go for free. Given we slept on Tchouaniemi, Rice is neverending story and not quite the level and also no suitable replacement coming for foreseeable future, I think not repeating the overoptimistic offloading of older players like we did with Giroud is not a bad move. I will be more concerned if we will keep Azpi beyond this season.

Edited by Vegetable

2 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Better to have some contract in place than letting him go for free. 

€130m (£116m) in salary LOCKED in, for rapidly ageing out players, one who is perpetually injured and the other who looks profoundly out of his depth already is NOT better

KK NEVER should have been purchased, let alone given an insane 4 year €70m contract

I called it over 2 seasons ago, that he was no longer worth buying for the money we would pay

Kante should have been sold in summer 2021 (again, another thing I called for back then), as what we could have gotten for him then would have EASILY paid for Tchou plus a decent backup RB, as Azpi was clearly rinsed as a RB (just look at last season, 2021/22 to see his turgid play there)

If you think that all of sudden Kante is going to spring back to fully fit all or even most of the time, and KK is going to magically turn into prime (or even semi prime) Sol Campbell, well I also have a bridge for sale, gently used

7 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Kante should have been sold in summer 2021 (again, another thing I called for back then), as what we could have gotten for him then would have EASILY paid for Tchou plus a decent backup RB,

Yeah, my point is, the right moment to part with Kante existed and is now gone. Now it's bit of pickle, but selling him for 30 milion or letting go on free, given how eager to throw cash on whatever TB is, is hardly help and even half-assed Kante may be useful from time to time, as there is no idea how to replace him in immediate future. We can always sell him on cheap if there is a better option ACTUALLY IN PLACE.

14 minutes ago, Vesper said:

KK is going to magically turn into prime (or even semi prime) Sol Campbell,

I know the table turned from love to hate quickly here, but I see at least trying to make KK work is one of main Potter's jobs for now as his positioning vs speed is suicidal in PL for now, but I wouldn't ever say he is a bad defender per se

14 minutes ago, Vesper said:

€130m (£116m) in salary LOCKED in, for rapidly ageing out players, one who is perpetually injured and the other who looks profoundly out of his depth already is NOT better

KK NEVER should have been purchased, let alone given an insane 4 year €70m contract

I called it over 2 seasons ago, that he was no longer worth buying for the money we would pay

Kante should have been sold in summer 2021 (again, another thing I called for back then), as what we could have gotten for him then would have EASILY paid for Tchou plus a decent backup RB, as Azpi was clearly rinsed as a RB (just look at last season, 2021/22 to see his turgid play there)

If you think that all of sudden Kante is going to spring back to fully fit all or even most of the time, and KK is going to magically turn into prime (or even semi prime) Sol Campbell, well I also have a bridge for sale, gently used

KK can be sold back to Serie A anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if getting that CB from Monaco is an indication that Potter doesn't really want to use KK

As for Kante, what did people expect, the club was never going to let a top class player leave on a free after seeing our 2 best CB's walk away on free transfers to Spanish clubs under the previous ownership. 

1 hour ago, TheHulk said:

Amazing new 340k on a 3 year contract for Kante. Give a 5 one to Jorginho as well while at it.

Well if  Mount wants 300k a week for not really achieving anything, then Kante should absolutely cash in on his last pay check. 

As for Jorginho, hopefully someone from Serie A takes him off our hands and we can finally rebuild the midfield.