Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

3 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

No one said anything about world class potential but more than Barkley that’s for sure. 
Rice is a the English Jon Obi Mikel. Composed and tackles clean as a whistle. But he is quicker and more tenacious. At 21 he already looks a mature DM. Not a worldclass one bit a very solid one. Even if he stagnates at this level Which is unlikely he will have a good Career. But more importantly we got overrun in midfield a lot in big games where we really could use a player like him especially over a dud like Barkley.

This will be a really interesting story as it develops. For one thing, while I understand that you're not claiming Rice is a Mikel Jon Obi clone, I'd be in even less of a hurry to sign him if he were. For another, my suspicion is that Frank is not a fan of the out-and-out DM. We'll discover if that guess is right as Frank gradually puts his own stamp on the squad.

I did though mean it when I said that I need to watch more of Rice. You are one of a number of regulars who like him

I've watched Havertz a few times in recent weeks, compilation videos, etc. From what I can see he looks really, really special.

It's a difficult one because I don't think it's a particular area of the pitch we desperately need to look at right now with the impending arrivals of Ziyech and Werner and the stacked midfield options.

We are potentially a left back and centre back away from getting close to Liverpool and City now in my opinion. So could that circa £70m be spent in more pressing areas of the squad to help us be better balanced and hopefully be challenging quicker?

Or are we better taking advantage of a situation whereby we could be getting one of the best young talents in world football (and if he continues to progress someone that will probably be top 10 in the world over the next 2-3 years) but may still leave gaps of quality in other areas of the squad (namely defence)?

In this situation I would probably look at long term over short term, even if it keeps us from fully progressing for another year and buy him if we can get him. I'm more confident on him than probably any other young player around (including Sancho) that he'll become world class.

If he were to arrive, I'm pretty sure it would be Barkley the one to leave as I cannot see the club letting RLC or Mount leave.