Chelsea 3-0 Aston Villa

James

"We are aware of a video circulating on social media showing an individual using abusive language of a sectarian nature in the crowd at Stamford Bridge on Saturday."

Sectarian nature? What is this supposed to mean?

42 minutes ago, nyikolajevics said:

"We are aware of a video circulating on social media showing an individual using abusive language of a sectarian nature in the crowd at Stamford Bridge on Saturday."

Sectarian nature? What is this supposed to mean?

Racism is discrimination and/or hatred based on race, sexism is discrimination and/or hatred based on gender and, strictly speaking, sectarianism is discrimination and/or hatred based on religious affiliation. I say 'strictly speaking' because a person's religion often impacts on cultural or even political identity too so the word can encompass all of those.

Is it just that I'm a Chelsea fan so I'm more likely to hear about these incidents when they involve The Blues, or am I right that our club just attracts more people who think like this and don't have the brains to control themselves? Sick of these people. I'd swap any number of them for one Christopher Hitchens.

24 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Racism is discrimination and/or hatred based on race, sexism is discrimination and/or hatred based on gender and, strictly speaking, sectarianism is discrimination and/or hatred based on religious affiliation. I say 'strictly speaking' because a person's religion often impacts on cultural or even political identity too so the word can encompass all of those.

Is it just that I'm a Chelsea fan so I'm more likely to hear about these incidents when they involve The Blues, or am I right that our club just attracts more people who think like this and don't have the brains to control themselves? Sick of these people. I'd swap any number of them for one Christopher Hitchens.

Big yikes there, go to most football games and you'll hear something that'll offend someone. Not saying it's right or endorsing it whatsoever, but most grounds I go to you'll hear something that'll make you raise an eyebrow.

5 hours ago, DH1988 said:

Big yikes there, go to most football games and you'll hear something that'll offend someone. Not saying it's right or endorsing it whatsoever, but most grounds I go to you'll hear something that'll make you raise an eyebrow.

Yup and the more successful we become the more these stories are pushed.

It happens at all grounds up and down the country. Is it right? Probably not - but singling one club out is pathetic. 

Tbf Liverpool have had the whole rent boy chant thing come to light. Despite being a chant from many grounds.

Think it's Chelsea you notice it more. Whereas if was a article on Man U would think oh and move on..and its on the clubs website so stands out more. Dont think it's been published more..or we have more filmed people...who are dumb

1 hour ago, Muzchap said:

Yup and the more successful we become the more these stories are pushed.

It happens at all grounds up and down the country. Is it right? Probably not - but singling one club out is pathetic. 

That I will agree with, and not even because my blue tinted glasses are on, before covid I went to alot of championship games and even going away games in the EPL, though not as often, you will hear some ridiculous stuff being shouted by idiots or simply someone that's had too much to drink.

Speaking about Chelsea, we had one guy in Matthew harding lower who would turn up completely pissed at minute 1 of a game shouting obscenities at Drogba years ago, at one of our greatest players, similarly when I went to the Emirates in the home stand there were shouts at Gervinho of a similar nature, we absolutely get the rough end of the stick with the media. So this is hardly a 'new' thing, i sit on the fence with it being highlighted so much in the media, I don't think it's a bad thing it's being done, but I also don't think it's a good thing.