• Kovacic
    • Mount
    • Willian
    • Hudson-Odoi
    • Abraham
    • Pulisic (sub)
    • Batshuayi (sub)
    • James (sub)

A draw is probably a good outcome for us here. Ajax are not too dissimiar from us in terms of playing style but are more settled as a group and also have less injuries to cope with. We should not be deluded to think just because or squad is valued more than tiwce as high as Ajax's that we are automatically favourites. Last year's CL and their stellar form this season so far undermine their favourites tag. But we should not bee afraid either. they can be broken and they can be shut down. Their defence is their weak point and sharp counter attacks can undo them. I think we should again start with 5 defenders provided James and one of Rüdiger/Christensen are fit. Othrwise i would not be confident with any of Zouma or Tomori playing in the middle of the back 3. However, as none will probably be risked I expect us to start like this

Azpi--Zouma--Tomori--Alonso

-------Kovacic--Jorginho-------

Willian-----Mount------CHO

---------------Tammy------------

which is easily our best lineup given the many absentees.

I guess it will be an exciting game.

A counter-attacking 3-4-3 with Reece and Emerson at full back and Azpi at centre-back (unless Rudiger is ready) 

This will be a lot lot harder especially with the young squad taking the field in a Champions League away game but just like at Lille, I would love to see the team play a tight and balanced game.The lack of expectation this season really makes you enjoy football for what it is. 

There isn't a massive gap between both sides despite some making out we're huge underdogs.

A draw should be more than obtainable and a home win in the second part of the double header would put us in a great position.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/10/22/chelsea-squad-land-in-amsterdam-ahead-of-latest-champions-league?cardIndex=0-0

The 19-man squad for Ajax tomorrow. No Kante, Rudiger, Barkley AND Pedro.

Kepa Arrizabalaga
Marcos Alonso
Jorginho
Tammy Abraham
Willian
Willy Caballero
Kurt Zouma
Mateo Kovacic
Olivier Giroud
Mason Mount
Callum Hudson-Odoi
Christian Pulisic
Michy Batshuayi
Reece James
Cesar Azpilicueta
Fikayo Tomori
Jamie Cumming
Emerson Palmieri
Billy Gilmour

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/10/22/chelsea-squad-land-in-amsterdam-ahead-of-latest-champions-league?cardIndex=0-0

The 19-man squad for Ajax tomorrow. No Kante, Rudiger, Barkley AND Pedro.

Kepa Arrizabalaga
Marcos Alonso
Jorginho
Tammy Abraham
Willian
Willy Caballero
Kurt Zouma
Mateo Kovacic
Olivier Giroud
Mason Mount
Callum Hudson-Odoi
Christian Pulisic
Michy Batshuayi
Reece James
Cesar Azpilicueta
Fikayo Tomori
Jamie Cumming
Emerson Palmieri
Billy Gilmour

That should be the XI + bench excluding Jamie Cumming. And just realized there's only 2 CBs in that squad!

1 minute ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

I wish the media would back off the Pulisic game time and starting. I don't think it is helpful at all.

I agree mate it's always ESPN keeps bring it's up ESPN need to get rid off their pundits on that show Nicol and Burley talk some horse shit 

2 hours ago, LAM09 said:

There isn't a massive gap between both sides despite some making out we're huge underdogs.

A draw should be more than obtainable and a home win in the second part of the double header would put us in a great position.

Going for a draw isnt a viable option in my eyes. We are 3rd with 3 points. A win here will be excellent, especially if Lille can get a result v Valencia.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Asked by a Dutch journalist apparently...

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/fixtures-results/frank-lampard-chelsea-ajax-kante-17128627

Q: Why are you so scared of Ajax?

"What makes you say that?"

Q: You look scared…

"That is just my face."

Q: You talk after Newcastle, it was ‘Ajax are so good’. It’s all about Ajax…

"When Ajax is finished, it will be all about Burnley."

Q: You really admire Ajax...

"I respect the team, on a serious note. We saw the way this team played last year, and I know that the team has changed slightly, I am very aware of the new threats of the team and anywhere to travel in the Champions League is a difficult match. They have won two games in the group convincingly, so definitely it is not a fact of being scared of Ajax.

"We have confidence in ourselves. We know that it is a tough match. But the reason I spoke after Newcastle is because that was a game in the Premier League who played a very low block. 5-4-1, very difficult to break down, which we managed to do. Ajax is completely different, so it was really important that we flipped a switch the minute that Newcastle finished because tomorrow is a tough match."

Going for a draw isnt a viable option in my eyes. We are 3rd with 3 points. A win here will be excellent, especially if Lille can get a result v Valencia.
So you're saying 6 points is a must?

4 points from this double header (would probably go top) & 3 at home to Lille should see us progress.

I expect Ajax pressing to target Zouma and his first touch as well as Tomori who has been done quite a few mistakes in last few games. Real shame we don't have anyone else available for that position right now. Kepa might have to go long a lot of the time so maybe having Giroud up front would be wise, he'd win most if not all of his aerial duels against Blind and Alvarez/Veltman. I guess Abraham could win those as well. Alonso might also be starting since he's such a good option for Kepa to play a long ball to.

Most important thing is to survive their first few waves of pressing. They can be quite vulnerable after we manage to make our way into their half. 

----- 

Interesting also to see what kind of lineup Ten Hag comes up with. In a few games this season he has chosen to go with Alvarez and Martinez (so essentially two CBs)* as midfield pivot with Blind and Veltman as CBs. If I had to guess I'd say they will go with that so essentially the same lineup as against Valencia. That linkup between Tadic, Ziyech and Van de Beek up front really frightens me and Promes has been scoring regularly this season so our defensive line and midfield have to be at their sharpest to avoid conceding tons of chances.

Their biggest achilles heel will be their right fullback. Dest and Mazraoui, whoever is picked to play there tomorrow night, are good going forward but quite poor defensively. Willian/Pulisic/Hudson-Odoi could have a field day against one of them. Either way, I wouldn't consider us as underdogs per se but since they are playing at home in front of their crazy fans, they are more likely to win this one than we are. A draw wouldn't surprise me and it would be quite a decent result from this game.

*Lisandro Martinez btw has been absolutely amazing player so far this season, what a steal they got for only 7 million euros this summer. Marc Overmars doing his magic in the transfer market once again.