• Kante
    • Bakayoko
    • Pedro
    • Willian
    • Hazard
    • Fabregas (sub)
    • Morata (sub)
    • Zappacosta (sub)

If City played Aguero as a CAM, De Bruyne as a deep midfielder, Sterling as a striker, G. Jesus on the bench etc, they'd still whoop Southampton by several goals.
If Arsenal played Sanchez as a CAM, or striker, or winger, with Ozil as a winger, or CAM, with everyone else chopping position up top, they'd still get by with 2 or so goals. 
If United played Lukaku on the right wing, Rashford (now used as a winger) as the striker, and dropped Pogba, they'd still be a lot stronger than Southampton.

So, I think it's lunacy to condemn Conte for dropping Morata + putting Hazard up top. I think the players are simply not good enough (broken record). If they rely on Hazard, that's a problem. If they're still hitting high crosses into the box despite Morata not being on the field, that's their fault.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Leif said:

If City played Aguero as a CAM, De Bruyne as a deep midfielder, Sterling as a striker, G. Jesus on the bench etc, they'd still whoop Southampton by several goals.
If Arsenal played Sanchez as a CAM, or striker, or winger, with Ozil as a winger, or CAM, with everyone else chopping position up top, they'd still get by with 2 or so goals. 
If United played Lukaku on the right wing, Rashford (now used as a winger) as the striker, and dropped Pogba, they'd still be a lot stronger than Southampton.

So, I think it's lunacy to condemn Conte for dropping Morata + putting Hazard up top. I think the players are simply not good enough (broken record). If they rely on Hazard, that's a problem. If they're still hitting high crosses into the box despite Morata not being on the field, that's their fault.

I don't know about the bolded part. City yes, Arsenal/United hell no! Lukaku on the wing? lol you must not be watching United a lot this season. They aren't anything special. Such confusion will be a disaster for them

Conte needs to learn how to make the right rotations in this season where he actually has to make them. I have no clue what that starting line-up was and we ended up wasting time and holding on vs one of the most out of form teams in the league at home. I was expecting to be entertained but I was bored shitless. 

Playing Hazard as a false 9 doesn't get the best out of him or the team. We need a focal point. Morata and Fabregas together have no business being on the bench in a home match. I don't know how tired Morata is supposed to be. 

17 hours ago, Jason said:

Worth noting that Rudiger, Morata and Alonso are on 4 yellow cards. If there is a timely game to pick up the 5th, this is it and then serve the suspension in the midweek League Cup game.

Well Alonso did just that :D

Never been big fan of Fabregas, but his presence was really obvious in last 20 minutes. He is good character and just by that improves our team which is lacking just that. Morata was also very good, that little dribble and shot with his left was sublime. Also his assist to Fabregas. Nice stuff at the end of the game.

Disappointed by Conte's team selection.

3 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

What is everyone complaining about, we had so many chances to score, we attacked created clear cut chances and should have scored 4 today. It's not Conte's fault that we can't score from so many chances created. 

We didn't play  well and the match was boring. The team selection clearly inhibited some of our players and playing without a striker at home when you have 2 on the bench is strange. Southampton got hammered 4-1 at home in their last game. Forgive me for expecting more against a team that has only 1 win in their last 9 games. 

Also Morata was good when he came on I thought, changed the game. Our forward play with him and Fabregas increased tenfold. We can pull off that false 9 system once in a while, but I don't think we have the personnel to make it consistently successful.

Hazard looked burnt out and not really at it today. 

That was a game where we should've really been out of sight. Got into so many dangerous positions but we're very wasteful. Also must be said that we looked completely different when Cesc came on. We look far more dangerous going forward with him in the team.

1 minute ago, manpe said:

Also Morata was good when he came on I thought, changed the game. Our forward play with him and Fabregas increased tenfold. We can pull off that false 9 system once in a while, but I don't think we have the personnel to make it consistently successful.

I'm not convinced Conte really knows how to manage player rotations. We were apparently "tired" against West Ham. Very odd part of the period to be tired. If Conte had actually managed the situation properly that loss could have been avoided.

Today he basically makes no rotations, Drinkwater nowhere to be seen. Morata doesn't play despite a league cup game next and we turn in a drab performance because there's no reference point up front. Hazard has played so many games in a short period, apparently he doesn't get rotated. Don't get it. 

2 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Hazard looked burnt out and not really at it today. 

That was a game where we should've really been out of sight. Got into so many dangerous positions but we're very wasteful. Also must be said that we looked completely different when Cesc came on. We look far more dangerous going forward with him in the team.

I just made this point regarding Conte's rotations. 

7 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

We didn't play  well and the match was boring. The team selection clearly inhibited some of our players and playing without a striker at home when you have 2 on the bench is strange. Southampton got hammered 4-1 at home in their last game. Forgive me for expecting more against a team that has only 1 win in their last 9 games. 

Yeah...but it's also the same team that only lost to a last minute goal at Man City.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Yeah...but it's also the same team that only lost to a last minute goal at Man City.

You can't compare those games though. City battered them and I was actually entertained by their play. I just found today's game very boring and that was particularly annoying as it could have been prevented if Morata or even the exiled Batshuayi played from the start.