Davide Zappacosta

xPetrCechx

29 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Problem is Dave is the Captain and super consistent. James does not just need to be better but much better to replace him. In my opinion, if James stays here next season he will only start 20-30% of our games. Hence, why I think he may be better off on loan to get a full season. I am not writing James off, I just want to ensure he gets minutes and I do not think he gets enough here next season. Be happy to be proved wrong. 

While I agree with your reasoning (Azpi has missed 5 PL games in the last five seasons and started the other 184 which is an insane stat) he will slowly but surely start being phased out. He's 31 and he's been playing a crazy amount of football in the last 8 years he's been at the club. Not many full-backs keep their level well into their 30s so we need to keep James around and he will have to make sure he's ready to take whatever chances come his way. For James' long-term future at the club it will also be important to continue being a part of the squad even if he doesn't yet play every week. That way he will form a better understanding with his team-mates and slot right in the team whenever needed, as opposed to playing his football elsewhere even though regular 90 minute games has it's own perks, that I'll give you. 

And not to mention, every game the team plays with a back 3 James will be one of the first names on the team sheet and he's miles ahead of Zappacosta in that wing-back position. Also no way to know for sure how the LB signing (whoever it may be) will settle in, so maybe Azpi will still continue to play some games on the left too so are you really saying you'd be confident enough in a post-ACL Zappacosta to play an extended run of games at RB?

The aim is to make the team stronger, not worse. If the plan was to ever loan out James again, that time would have been this season. After already becoming a part of the team, there's no way he's going out on loan again just like there's no way Zappacosta is ever coming back and rightly so.

29 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Problem is Dave is the Captain and super consistent. James does not just need to be better but much better to replace him. In my opinion, if James stays here next season he will only start 20-30% of our games. Hence, why I think he may be better off on loan to get a full season. I am not writing James off, I just want to ensure he gets minutes and I do not think he gets enough here next season. Be happy to be proved wrong. 

He has played 2237 minutes already this season. It's only going to increase or stay constant. So obviously oppurtunities will be there. 

Exactly. From possible 4680 minutes this season Reece played 2237. So almost 50%. 

And he missed around 10 games this season because of injuries. Plus Azpi is getting older. So, he will definitely play even more next season.

He will improve defensively by time.

Tbf, I hadn't realised Reece had played so many minutes. If someone had asked me I would've guessed at sub-1400. 

Well, it looks like that idea was shot down. My idea was based on best long term benefit as I just do not want to see Reece wasting a season only getting half the minutes he could else where as Dave will play all the time still. I understand Dave is getting on a bit but he is one if those people you know will still be able to run marathon at 50, so I do not reckon his decline will come as early as most RB's. 

10 hours ago, King Kante said:

Tbf, I hadn't realised Reece had played so many minutes. If someone had asked me I would've guessed at sub-1400. 

Well, it looks like that idea was shot down. My idea was based on best long term benefit as I just do not want to see Reece wasting a season only getting half the minutes he could else where as Dave will play all the time still. I understand Dave is getting on a bit but he is one if those people you know will still be able to run marathon at 50, so I do not reckon his decline will come as early as most RB's. 

I think your right regarding Azpi. I think he will still be able to compete at a very good level for another 3 years. He isn’t necessarily the slowest or fastest fullback and his defensive nous hasnt shown any signs of declining either. Also he can play the right sided CB role as well in a 3 and that makes him a good option to keep around this team.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...