Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Virgil Van Dijk

dkim2
Followers 3

A back 3 of Rüdiger, Luiz, and Van Dijk with Azpi at RWB would be completely dominant in the PL. We may lose a bit in attack on the right with Azpi there but I think he'd do very well in that role. Much better defensively than Moses and decent enough further up the pitch.

We'd have 3 CB's who are physically dominant, very comfortable on the ball, and can all spray the ball around easily. Add Kante and Bakayoko in front of them and I'd say we have the most complete and balanced XI in the league. I'd also trust Cesc in a midfield 2 more with a CB of Van Dijk's quality added to the side.

The negative as already mentioned is that Christensen would surely be off. Don't think we'd sell him but probably loan.

At this point I'm putting this in the "too good to be true" category personally. I'm not convinced we're after another top CB.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Pizy said:

A back 3 of Rüdiger, Luiz, and Van Dijk with Azpi at RWB would be completely dominant in the PL. We may lose a bit in attack on the right with Azpi there but I think he'd do very well in that role. Much better defensively than Moses and decent enough further up the pitch.

We'd have 3 CB's who are physically dominant, very comfortable on the ball, and can all spray the ball around easily. Add Kante and Bakayoko in front of them and I'd say we have the most complete and balanced XI in the league. I'd also trust Cesc in a midfield 2 more with a CB of Van Dijk's quality added to the side.

The negative as already mentioned is that Christensen would surely be off. Don't think we'd sell him but probably loan.

At this point I'm putting this in the "too good to be true" category personally. I'm not convinced we're after another top CB.

How we go this season hinges on our wingbacks IMO. Azpi isn't good enough for that role. 

Hopefully this doesn't mean curtains or Christensen.

I do like the idea of us getting VVD, he's looked absolute quality every time I've seen him play. So cool, calm and composed not only on the ball but when defending an oncoming attacker. Doesn't do a moonwalk backwards (Looking at you Cahill).

I'm wondering like a few others here if this means we're moving on from wingback signings and moving a few players around.

Azpi at right WB will be just fine I think, when he ventured forward from the back three a few times last season he showed he's improved his overall passing/crossing game. That pinpoint cross to Diego against Palace in particular.

As for LWB, I'm sure Baba is still on our books right? Give him a go, and we've also got Kenedy if he can stop being a prick on social media. We can always look again in Jan if it becomes a problem.

20 minutes ago, Dazzy_Vance said:

When will this Sandro dream end? You guys need to accept he isn't coming and move on. May as well add Neymar to your mock lineups.

Until he signs a contract with juve he's still fair game. Transfer going quite is sometimes a good sign not always bad. Chances are he won't come but until we no for sure ill keep putting him there. It's that's simple.

And not to mention this is a forum people are welcome to have opinions.

58 minutes ago, BluesMadLad said:

Dave.          Luiz.        VVD/cahill

Rudigur.                                             Sandro

Kante.        Bakayoko

Pedro.                                              Hazard

Morata

That would be sick.

With Baka-Kante midfield, we will need two attacking FBs. Rudiger is ok as backup there, but I wouldnt put him as starter.

I cheer for Sandro and Aurier, but it will be tough.

23 minutes ago, Dazzy_Vance said:

How we go this season hinges on our wingbacks IMO. Azpi isn't good enough for that role. 

Disagree. Will he be bombing forward constantly and beating players with his dribbling? No. But he'd do very well in the role in my opinion.

Besides, it's much more important to have a more attacking wing back on the other side to support Hazard. Having wing backs on both sides that are weak defensively will be a disaster against top opposition now that we have many more matches. 

3 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

With Baka-Kante midfield, we will need two attacking FBs. Rudiger is ok as backup there, but I wouldnt put him as starter.

I cheer for Sandro and Aurier, but it will be tough.

I agree mate for the CL but I think that team could boss the PL.

6 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Disagree. Will he be bombing forward constantly and beating players with his dribbling? No. But he'd do very well in the role in my opinion.

Besides, it's much more important to have a more attacking wing back on the other side to support Hazard. Having wing backs on both sides that are weak defensively will be a disaster against top opposition now that we have many more matches. 

Isn't the point of a wingback to overlap with the the attackers on their side of the pitch? That's what separates them from a fullback. Azpi is a great fullback, but his attacking ability leaves a lot to be desired. Moses, for all his crossing woes, has Azpi easily beat in attacking. Azpi could be good enough for cover every once in a while, but if Moses is injured for more than a week, it could be troublesome.

I also disagree about having an attacking wingback to support Hazard. I'd rather have a more defensive-minded wingback on Hazard's side to cover for his defensive deficiencies, whereas both Willian and Pedro are better defenders, making it easier to have a more attack minded wingback.

If CFC finally decides to stay with Moses and Azpi on the RWB's that means Rudiger, Luiz, Cahil and Andreas are our CB's. This is 4 players for 3 spots. Definitely a new CB will arrive. It all depends on are we're going for FB's or only one (the promised one)? Maybe CFC was waiting for a lower price, and now is the time. Next week it will be very interesting. 🍿🍿

Conte expressed he wants 2 players per position. Cahill/VVD for LCB Luiz/Christensen for MCB Azpi/Rudiger as RCB

VVD arrival does not effect Christensen as he will be battling Luiz for playing time. Azpi to me is fine cover for RWB but I would prefer someone more dynamic going forward who can cover back on D. Moses/Ox/Aurier are the type of players I covet for WB roles. We have the center of the park locked up with Kante/Baka so we need creativity out wide.

I too believe Sandro deal is done but he hasnt signed the contract yet and we havent been looking at anyone else so something is fishy in that situation.

Courtois

Azpi/Rudi     Luiz/Christensen     VVD/Cahill

Moses/Aurier   Cesc/Kante/Baka/(DW?)   Alonso/Sandro

Willian/Pedro                                Hazard/Musonda

Morata/Bats

Fast, Physical, Skilled. A conte type team, one I would be THRILLED to see and we would be competitive on all fronts.

Wingback has to be a "workhorse" and with constant overlapping and wide position his main attribute should be crossing. Azpi is far better crosser than Moses IMO. Alonso is not superior to Moses in dribbling or athletic abilities but his attacking stats are far better. I see Azpi as a little more athletic version of Alonso and he would be more than capable playing that RWB position on top level IMO. 

I would prefer splashing the cash for a fullback then a centre back. We can survive at CB with Cahill, Luiz, Azpi, Rudiger and Christensen, but we can barely survive with 2 fullbacks (ok 3 if you count Azpi).

• Jase locked this topic
  • Jase unlocked this topic