Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

Marcos Alonso showed he's simply not good enough for Chelsea in one moment v Man City

Chelsea are facing yet another crisis following Sunday's 6-0 defeat away to Manchester City.

Losing by a six-goal margin meant the Blues lost ground in the race for the top four and dropped below Manchester United and Arsenal into sixth.

Maurizio Sarri's role as manager is now under threat, too, and a lot of the players have been accused of not being good enough.

Individual mistakes plagued Chelsea's display at the Etihad Stadium as Marcos Alonso, Ross Barkley, Kepa Arrizabalaga and Cesar Azpilicueta all made errors leading to goals.

Alonso failed to track Bernardo Silva for City's opener, Barkley headed the ball straight to Sergio Aguero for his second of the game and Kepa should have gone better for Ilkay Gundogan's strike.

snip

1 hour ago, kellzfresh said:

Alonso and his poor decision making. Hazard is available in the open space and yet he decides to play a wasteful cross in the central zone

d0u77cqjduf21.png

That is just so shocking to see. Sarri's football is all about creating spaces and then making those type of thru balls.

Why does Sarri does keep choosing this fucker? Is Emerson really even more shite in his books? Then why didn't he tell the board to buy a new left-back in January? Honestly, if he prefers Alonso solely because of his height then please play David Luiz as LB, at least he has the vision and skill to make that pass

I am sad when I read that someone thinks that he was the best LWB/LB in the league in season 2016/17.

No, he wasn't. He just had great season, but it was more a result of great circumstances for him, not because of his qualities.

Through history a lot of shitty players had great seasons. We all know Kalou and Bertrand won f*cking UCL as starters in final. Same shit here.

Shallow perception of football is one of the big things that are holding us down. He needed to be replaced long time ago. Conte knew that, hence he pursued Sandro for two seasons straight.

3 hours ago, El P. said:

I am sad when I read that someone thinks that he was the best LWB/LB in the league in season 2016/17.

No, he wasn't. He just had great season, but it was more a result of great circumstances for him, not because of his qualities.

Through history a lot of shitty players had great seasons. We all know Kalou and Bertrand won f*cking UCL as starters in final. Same shit here.

Shallow perception of football is one of the big things that are holding us down. He needed to be replaced long time ago. Conte knew that, hence he pursued Sandro for two seasons straight.

Be sad all you want... just please don't try to rewrite history. :)

All players perform well in a team because of the circumstances the system provides them with. The whole reiterated point made by Eden's fans is that he will do better in a better system. No player does "great" (your word) without qualities.

Terrible comparison there too. You are comparing a player (Alonso) who had MoTM performances against tough opposition, played most if not all games in our winning season, had a record of goals and plenty of assists to show for it, to subs and fringe players who played little (kalou a bit more).

Like I said, let’s not rewrite history. He's actually started well under sarri, see manager's comments on him. And is playing very poorly, but it is NOT his fault Chelsea has no alternative to an underperforming player.

Alonso showed terrible decision making in the first goal, but I was also unhappy with Eden's nonchalant approach there - he was markiing noone. Alonso shouldn't have to tell hazard to mark the wide player.

Watch now how a few players not running for the manager will make even the good players look bad. ;) 

In my TV City scored just as easily with Emerson on the pitch.

2 hours ago, El P. said:

I remember watching that 2016/17 team and thinking how the hell doesn't Alonso have 15 goals and 15 assists considering how much space he had on those flanks. But the opponents knew that he isn't exactly Jordi Alba quick going forward so they gave him ridiculous amounts of space and sometimes even ignored him completely because he wasn't much of a threat (except in the box)

Nevertheless, gotta give it to Conte. Winning the league with Alonso and Moses as wingbacks remains as one of the greatest heists in modern football history. We were of course helped by the fact that nearly all of our rivals were utter shite and extremely inconsistent throughout that season. There's no way that team could win the league this season.

The 16/17 title win was great and memorable. Conte got the squad playing above where they should be. There are some slight similarities to Leicester’s title win (not saying they’re exactly the same of course) but a team who obviously no one would predict for the title, with no Europe and poor challengers. 

Like with Leicester’s team, yes, great achievement, but it hardly took a trained eye to critically analyse which players were top level, were important, were the main talents behind the run and which ones were playing above themselves, were just cogs in the team who tbh was a matter of time before they sink back to their normal level. The same with our 16/17 title winning team. A poster described it well above, there’s a certain ‘shallowness’ to fans perceptions of the team, not even fans but the board, pundits..

When we were linked with Drinkwater and how many times were people saying ‘he’s a PL winner, he and Kante are a PL winning midfield duo’ with no context, such a simplistic arguement that obviously could be counteracted with, ‘why don’t we just get Huth and Morgan’ or ‘Simpson and Fuchs’. Alonso and Moses put a good shift in 16/17, but it was also clear we needed to improve if we wanted to stay at that level. People may disagree with what I say next but, also, you probably replace them with any player of a similar standard and I doubt we see a difference in 16/17, that season eclipsed what tangible impact Alonso/Moses could have as individual talents, as they’re not very talented.

1 hour ago, ja1 said:

The 16/17 title win was great and memorable. Conte got the squad playing above where they should be. There are some slight similarities to Leicester’s title win (not saying they’re exactly the same of course) but a team who obviously no one would predict for the title, with no Europe and poor challengers. 

Like with Leicester’s team, yes, great achievement, but it hardly took a trained eye to critically analyse which players were top level, were important, were the main talents behind the run and which ones were playing above themselves, were just cogs in the team who tbh was a matter of time before they sink back to their normal level. The same with our 16/17 title winning team. A poster described it well above, there’s a certain ‘shallowness’ to fans perceptions of the team, not even fans but the board, pundits..

When we were linked with Drinkwater and how many times were people saying ‘he’s a PL winner, he and Kante are a PL winning midfield duo’ with no context, such a simplistic arguement that obviously could be counteracted with, ‘why don’t we just get Huth and Morgan’ or ‘Simpson and Fuchs’. Alonso and Moses put a good shift in 16/17, but it was also clear we needed to improve if we wanted to stay at that level. People may disagree with what I say next but, also, you probably replace them with any player of a similar standard and I doubt we see a difference in 16/17, that season eclipsed what tangible impact Alonso/Moses could have as individual talents, as they’re not very talented.

I remember when Drinkwater had an ok game (scored a nice goal) against shit opponent and people were already "must play this guy ahead of Cesc, he can be great blah blah. 

Dont know if some are just so naive or wanted to comfort themselves over the fact we forked out 40m for him and he just has to be this good.

10 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

Alonso and his poor decision making. Hazard is available in the open space and yet he decides to play a wasteful cross in the central zone

d0u77cqjduf21.png

I dont get why he didnt consider whipping that in behind the right sided CB to Higuain either. Higuain is basically primed to make the run and theres plenty space. The delivery if its right finds him and he probably hits the target or scores. Or yes play it to Eden.