Kalidou Koulibaly

the wes

2 hours ago, Muzchap said:

Swerve - at the figures quoted it's a waste. 

We need younger players - by the time he settles into the Prem, he will be the wrong side of 30 and then it's downhill from there.

That money needs to be spent on a striker

He is 27 now (turns 28 in between seasons, next summer) and he is arguably the best CB in the world with Varane down a bit in form for some bizarre reason (I supposed you could make a case for van Dijk and a healthy Umtiti as well, plus in a couple years, van Ligt). It would take him but a few games to get up to speed in the EPL. He certainly would have 3 full seasons of EPL play where he was not over 30.

That said, the amount of money the Poison Dwarf would ask for him is indeed insane.

This coming summer is the last year, IMHO, that KK will be able to command anywhere near an even reduced amount (from that ludicrous £135m price tag) of say £80 to £90m, as a team would still get 2 years of under 30yo play, then 2 more at 30 and then 31, after which he will decline for sure. Maybe his 32yo season would still be sort of near peak.

If he was magically put on our squad or Manure or Arsenal or Spurs in January, he alone would be an inflection point in the race for 3rd and 4th, especially the first 3 teams (us, Manure, Arse).

It isn't going to happen here, our time to grab him has came and went over the last 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 1:52 PM, Vesper said:

He is 27 now (turns 28 in between seasons, next summer) and he is arguably the best CB in the world with Varane down a bit in form for some bizarre reason (I supposed you could make a case for van Dijk and a healthy Umtiti as well, plus in a couple years, van Ligt). It would take him but a few games to get up to speed in the EPL. He certainly would have 3 full seasons of EPL play where he was not over 30.

That said, the amount of money the Poison Dwarf would ask for him is indeed insane.

This coming summer is the last year, IMHO, that KK will be able to command anywhere near an even reduced amount (from that ludicrous £135m price tag) of say £80 to £90m, as a team would still get 2 years of under 30yo play, then 2 more at 30 and then 31, after which he will decline for sure. Maybe his 32yo season would still be sort of near peak.

If he was magically put on our squad or Manure or Arsenal or Spurs in January, he alone would be an inflection point in the race for 3rd and 4th, especially the first 3 teams (us, Manure, Arse).

It isn't going to happen here, our time to grab him has came and went over the last 3 years.

Age doesn't seem to matter to RM it seems as they want him.

European paper talk: Real Madrid to rival Manchester United for Kalidou Koulibaly

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11603582/european-paper-talk-real-madrid-to-rival-manchester-united-for-kalidou-koulibaly

1 minute ago, Unionjack said:

Age doesn't seem to matter to RM it seems as they want him.

European paper talk: Real Madrid to rival Manchester United for Kalidou Koulibaly

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11603582/european-paper-talk-real-madrid-to-rival-manchester-united-for-kalidou-koulibaly

This coming summer is his last true huge cash-cost go-round, IMHO.

28,29,30,31yo and sell

is doable

29,30,31,32 and sell is already decreased

and 

30,31,32,33 and sell

is a fail

5 minutes ago, Vesper said:

This coming summer is his last true huge cash-cost go-round, IMHO.

28,29,30,31yo and sell

is doable

29,30,31,32 and sell is already decreased

and 

30,31,32,33 and sell

is a fail

I must admit I hate the idea that the ability to re-sell in a few years time is a big reason to go and buy a player. I can understand what you're saying and the thought process that if a player flopped he'd probably be easier to move on and hopefully still get a reasonable fee back. It's an added bonus if it ever happened in the future but a transfer in my opinion should never be viewed in that way.

If a club views a player is worth said amount of money regardless of age, ability to re-sell, etc then that should be enough. I can't see Ronaldo going for very much after his Juventus move, if anything at all. But if he helps Juventus win more trophies over the next couple of seasons and in particular plays a big part in them managing to conquer Europe then his purchase will be worth it.

Two players in the same situation spring to mind when it comes to Chelsea. Zola joined at the age of 30 for what was a big outlay at the time. I can safely say being at Wembley in 97 to win the FA Cup was worth every penny of his transfer fee. The other is Makelele who was over 30 and signed for big money in what was considered an 'unfancied' position of the pitch and he was key in the initial trophy laden Mourinho era. Again well worth the outlay.

1 minute ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I must admit I hate the idea that the ability to re-sell in a few years time is a big reason to go and buy a player. I can understand what you're saying and the thought process that if a player flopped he'd probably be easier to move on and hopefully still get a reasonable fee back. It's an added bonus if it ever happened in the future but a transfer in my opinion should never be viewed in that way.

If a club views a player is worth said amount of money regardless of age, ability to re-sell, etc then that should be enough. I can't see Ronaldo going for very much after his Juventus move, if anything at all. But if he helps Juventus win more trophies over the next couple of seasons and in particular plays a big part in them managing to conquer Europe then his purchase will be worth it.

Two players in the same situation spring to mind when it comes to Chelsea. Zola joined at the age of 30 for what was a big outlay at the time. I can safely say being at Wembley in 97 to win the FA Cup was worth every penny of his transfer fee. The other is Makelele who was over 30 and signed for big money in what was considered an 'unfancied' position of the pitch and he was key in the initial trophy laden Mourinho era. Again well worth the outlay.

I didnt so much mean resale, I apoligise if it looked like that

I was focusing on a 4 year run vis-a-vis age

KK maybe be the exception, but most backs go to shit after they turn older than 30 or 31

obviously there are exception, but look at so many huge names who are on pure downward slide now that they are 31 or older

Ramos and Pique and Marcelo are perfect examples

Hummels and Boateng's massive decline happened before they even turned 30

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

I didnt so much mean resale, I apoligise if it looked like that

I was focusing on a 4 year run vis-a-vis age

KK maybe be the exception, but most backs go to shit after they turn older than 30 or 31

obviously there are exception, but look at so many huge names who are on pure downward slide now that they are 31 or older

Ramos and Pique and Marcelo are perfect examples

Hummels and Boateng's massive decline happened before they even turned 30

I understand. More just a general rant from me because I know a lot of people look at transfers that way and at times it seems our current board do too.

I would never want the club to piss money against a wall with no care in the world, but I think every player/deal should be viewed and treated in isolation rather than a blanket treatment.

The same goes for one year contracts once a player turns 30. Again, I wouldn't expect the club to start handing out 3 or 4 year contracts to a 31 year old but if a player is important and shown no signs of decline to that point then a two year contract or year with option for an extra year based on appearances should never be dismissed.

Man Utd plan mega offer for 'devastated' Koulibaly
https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/man-utd-plan-mega-offer-for-devastated-koulibaly-4264632

Manchester United are preparing a mega offer for Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly.

The Mirror says United will offer Koulibaly an escape route away from Italy's racists.

United have made the 27-year-old Senegal international a prime summer target after failing to land him before the start of the season. And they believe Koulibaly will this time attempt to force his departure from the Serie A club after being targeted by bigots.

The issue has left Koulibaly devastated – and a move away from Italy now appears to be the most likely outcome.

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has ruled out the player's departure during the January transfer market. He has claimed to have rejected a £95million bid from United in the summer – a declaration that has been denied at Old Trafford.

But while United sources insist their interest in Koulibaly never went beyond making an enquiry about a valuation, they have made signing the France-born defender a priority.

snip

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...

Manchester United 'have £96m bid for Kalidou Koulibaly rejected'

The latest Man United transfer rumours link the club with Kalidou Koulibaly, Thomas Partey and Matthijs de Ligt.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-transfers-koulibaly-partey-16303542

Manchester United have been knocked back in their bid for Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly, reports in Italy say.

United are in the market for a centre-back for a second summer in a row, and have been linked with Koulibaly as a solution to the long-term problem position.

After a season where no dominant central defensive pairing has emerged for United, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is hoping to succeed where Jose Mourinho couldn't and bring in reinforcements in that position.

And now Gazzetta dello Sport reporter Nicolo Schira claims the club have had a €110m (£96.4m) bid rejected by Napoli.

Schira claims Napoli chairman Aurelio De Laurentiis has no interest in selling Koulibaly, and a release clause of €150M (£131.5m) will only be available 'from 2020.'

snip

Kalidou Koulibaly Produces The Best Goal-Line Clearance Of The Season

• 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

What a strike. Imagine the slack Zouma would get for an own goal....oh wait

The best (worst) part of this own goal is the story of the game. Napoli were 3-0 down but managed to come back to 3-3.

And then in the stoppage time, you have this own goal :D 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You