Chelsea v Scunthorpe

Jase

Showing my age a bit here, but I was at a League Cup 2nd Round, 1st Leg tie away to Scunthorpe in Sept/Oct 88'. Dreadful, dreadful night. I think around 800 of us there, 0-1 down, late equalizer (Kevin Wilson I think), to spare our blushes, only to concede three late goals to lose 1-4. Fucking dreadful.

2nd Leg at The Bridge was one of the six games where the Shed and away end were closed after the Boro 'riot'. Me and around 5800 others. No away fans because of said ban. Treated myself to East Upper. Fairly confident that we could turn it around...I should be so lucky, 2-2 on the night for a 3-6 aggregate. Work the following day was nothing more than having to suffer extreme ridicule from Yids, Arse, Pikeys, etc. Which was par for the course at the time because we were shite in the cups, utter shite.

Hope we put 30 past them tomorrow <_<

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing him in January on the calendar alongside falco sort of says it all.hope he doesn't go but has been so wasted 

Hope the team show up tomorrow.not that given our position can think it'll be a easy game..play like against palace not most the games this season 

Its not a good idea to use those line ups full of "kids". A team like that lacks chemistry and any tactical discipline, and usually the team play a shit football and in the 2nd half the manage introduce the big boys to win the game. That won't help the development of those players. I would start Baba, RLC, Kenedy and Traore, and players that were sitting on the bench in the last games, like Cahill, Ramires and Matic, and believe Guus will come up with something like that.

12 hours ago, didierforever said:

there in lies the problem. you are the manager and just spent millions on getting wickham who is also you future compared to a striker of similar abilities who has no future. bamford not getting a start has nothing to do with his ability.

bogdan made a howler, and while i agree that liverpool were lucky to g let a draw with not even their B team but an U-21 team, we are talking about our B team here at the bridge. we are talking about some of the most highly talked about prospects like RLC and musonda and some very good talents like baba, kenedy, traore, musonda. 

whats the point of having a youth system and 25 players in the squad when you are scared to start ANY of them under ANY circumstances. we are 15th in the league and these guys cant buy a start and now in a cup competition against a team which is 2 leagues below and at our home stadium, we still cant give them a game.

Sturridge broke in at Bolton, Ake broke in at Watford, Christensen broke in at Gladbach, if Bamford was good enough he would have got in at Palace if the other forward a were on form, let alone never scoring.

I've never been a fan of going complete b teams in the FA, like I said a bitof rotation and a bit I youngster, but we saw with United and Sheffield earlier, Scunny aren't going to come here and get their bellies tickled, we will need a strong performance to nullify them, only need to look ten years ago against Huddersfield, our strongest ever squad, rotated heavily against a league one side, narrowly avoided a replay.

52 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Sturridge broke in at Bolton, Ake broke in at Watford, Christensen broke in at Gladbach, if Bamford was good enough he would have got in at Palace if the other forward a were on form, let alone never scoring.

I've never been a fan of going complete b teams in the FA, like I said a bitof rotation and a bit I youngster, but we saw with United and Sheffield earlier, Scunny aren't going to come here and get their bellies tickled, we will need a strong performance to nullify them, only need to look ten years ago against Huddersfield, our strongest ever squad, rotated heavily against a league one side, narrowly avoided a replay.

Huddersfield was not the only example either. How many times did rested starters have to come off the bench to rescue us in cup ties? Quite a few.

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Huddersfield was not the only example either. How many times did rested starters have to come off the bench to rescue us in cup ties? Quite a few.

Shrewsbury the most recent example last season.

Huddersfield was the main example for me due to how strong our squad was, we had probably the best second string line-up in PL history yet were 8 minutes away from being took to a replay, infact if my memory serves me right The Terriers looked more likely to win until Eidur rescued us.

If we produce the line-up didierforever suggests I would consider hopping down to Ladbrokes and putting a cheeky couple of quid on a Scunny win (which hopefully I'll lose, but wouldn't be surprised if it came off).

13 hours ago, changingman2000 said:

Showing my age a bit here, but I was at a League Cup 2nd Round, 1st Leg tie away to Scunthorpe in Sept/Oct 88'. Dreadful, dreadful night. I think around 800 of us there, 0-1 down, late equalizer (Kevin Wilson I think), to spare our blushes, only to concede three late goals to lose 1-4. Fucking dreadful.

2nd Leg at The Bridge was one of the six games where the Shed and away end were closed after the Boro 'riot'. Me and around 5800 others. No away fans because of said ban. Treated myself to East Upper. Fairly confident that we could turn it around...I should be so lucky, 2-2 on the night for a 3-6 aggregate. Work the following day was nothing more than having to suffer extreme ridicule from Yids, Arse, Pikeys, etc. Which was par for the course at the time because we were shite in the cups, utter shite.

Hope we put 30 past them tomorrow <_<

I was at the home leg another painful night of which there were many in those days. That season when the Shed reopened we beat Plymouth 5-0 after the game there was about 50 of us in the White Hart  having a sing song still one of the best laughs I've had as a Chelsea fan. The old bill came in about 8.30 not because we were being out of order but the governor of the boozer had booked a band and thought if he didn't get rid of us we'd end up singing all night.

Although I don't think Bamfords good enough I would actually be tempted to start him and bring Diego on at half time if were not winning, we got two PL games coming up this week and we need Diego at full sharpness especially as Remy is not fit.

Only issue is, due to the rules that you can't play for three clubs in one season, playing him today means he can't find another club until the summer, unless he goes grovelling back to Pardrew.

6 hours ago, Tomo said:

how many failed loans did affelay and krkic have? they were considered to be the best young talents in their times. this loan system is a very tricky thing and there can be a number of reasons of why a loan can fail. 

a B team will always face some problems. never getting many oppurtunities to play together, lack of as much quality. but these are perfect matches for them to show if they belong with us. again, my question remains the same, what is the point of the squad and youth system if we cant trust the best youth system in the world in the past 5 years to get any chance against a league one side.

Traore has more chance of starting than Bamford imo. Traore played CF for Vitesse majority of last season and has been around the first team this season. I doubt Bamford who has struggled to get into the Palace team whose strikers can't score for their life will suddenly walk into our 11, regardless of it being a cup game.