The Hiddink Thread

MefiX19

He's done alright and the least I expected of him was to keep us away from falling further down and believe it or not, survival.

Guus is like the old school supply teacher, the one who you could mess around in class and they wouldn't be bothered..... He'd let you eat chewing gum and flick Blu-Tack at other kids and be none the wiser.

I still cannot get excited by Conte.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Well they do say never come back and we've had two returnees Mourinho and Hiddink and well it wasn't a massive success on either count. Both have ruined their legacy to a degree I'm not going to go into Mourinho think that's been covered. But Hiddink well just done the basics and has appeared to be coasting. Just wish he had taken the odd risk here and there but the Everton cup game was a toothless performance in the one competition we could have won. Anyway onwards and upwards and I'm looking forward to Conte coming in.

In a reverse way it might work in our favour moving forward, when things weren't great in the past the shadow of those two (Jose especially) loomed large, their was this belief amounsgt the fanbase that if one of those two returned everything would be rosy again, and that put a lot of pressure on the manager at the time.

Now both have demonstrated they aren't the magicians that they looked like in their first spells, Conte basically comes in with a blank canvas, a chance to truly move on from the past Into a new era.

Ambitious, organised, gifted:Final whistle verdict

Guus Hiddink praised the performance of his team at Anfield and reserved special acclaim for our scorer Eden Hazard.

The manager was understandably frustrated we didn’t pick up all three points having led for so much of the game, but he still left Merseyside happy having witnessed one of the best outings from his side this year…

‘It was of course a big disappointment in the last minute, but I can say Chelsea played a perfect game tonight,’ Hiddink enthused.

‘We were defensively well-organised. Offensively we had the intention to score which we did through the beautiful goal of Eden.

‘After that, we had the intention to go for the second but we didn’t kill the game off in the second half. We had two or three open chances, but generally I can be very satisfied with the performance of the team, although it was a nice present for them in the last minute.

‘We played with a lot of intent and ambition and that’s how I like to see us play.’

The unstoppable Eden Hazard was the star of the show, and Hiddink feels he is close to getting back to full fitness

‘He has had a difficult year. He has had injures, come back, had more injuries, and that made him vulnerable physically.

‘The last few weeks he has been working on a programme to get him fully fit. We haven't played him for whole games. He is steadily getting his shape, and you can see what he is able to do.

‘Nature gave him a lot of talent. He is gifted, he is smart, he can win a one-on-one anywhere on the pitch which is very important. He plays with courage. He receives a lot of physical contact but nevertheless he goes on. He’s fit and fresh, mentally and physically, and it’s a pleasure to see those type of players.

‘Everyone in a job gets criticism and it’s how you deal with that. They are all human and it can be possible it affects you a bit, but it’s always good to see the reaction when you’re criticised like he was.’

Academy striker Tammy Abraham was brought on for his Chelsea debut

‘I like the guy’s attitude very much.

‘He is training every now and then with us. He has played a lot of games for the Under-21s, for the Under-19s, for the Under-18s, and that has obstructed him a bit to be with us for a long time, which is the most important thing, but he has been with us for a couple of weeks and you can see his potential.

‘Of course he must grow with his little touches but that’s normal for an 18-year-old boy. He plays already physically like a man, and it’s nice to see those players coming from the Academy.’

Hiddink spoke in more depth about the Academy and the important of young players training with the first team

‘The Academy is delivering, and other players like Traore who have been with us for a long time.

‘There are other players training with us who I would like to see more of. I have one point which is a little bit controversial. When Chelsea are playing in a lot of championships - Under-18, Under-19, Under-21 - it’s nice to have won these cups, but it’s even better when those guys have their training sessions with us as well.

‘There we can review how we approach their future. We showed that with Traore in the last half-year. When I came he was like a calf who was wobbling but now he’s getting used to men’s football. Tammy when he is training with us is already showing he can learn very fast.

‘As soon as possible, they must step up, but it’s not easy. First they must play with men who have experienced Premier League football for a long time. You can give a lot of youngsters their debut, but don’t go over the top because it’s not easy to make the last step, and they would be exposed without yet having the quality or the substance to do so.’

chelseafc.com

Guus Hiddink has revealed he might not necessarily be leaving Chelsea at the end of the season, despite Antonio Conte’s appointment, and could be staying on to help develop the club’s youngsters. Hiddink will be replaced by Conte in the summer but the Dutchman is eager to stay at Stamford Bridge, while owner Roman Abramovich is keen to keep him. The manager told Sky Sports after Wednesday’s draw with Liverpool: ““I’m not definitely going away, I’d like to be involved with the development of players.” (Sky Sports via Goal)

Challenging but enjoyable:Hiddink

Guus Hiddink conducted his final pre-match press conference at Cobham earlier today and gave his assessment of the period since he took charge of the Blues.

Speaking ahead of the visit of champions Leicester on Sunday, the Dutchman covered a wide range of subjects, including the potential of involvement for more young players against Claudio Ranieri’s side.

However, he was first asked about how he will reflect on his second spell as Chelsea manager and what his favourite memories are.

‘I will be emotional on Sunday because in the two spells here the passion towards football was already there, but the affection for the club has grown,’ said the Dutchman.

‘The recent memory of playing at Anfield was a pleasant one because the team played as I love them to. That’s the way Chelsea can play and should play.

‘Of course after the escape from near the relegation zone I would have loved to reach the FA Cup final and go one or two games further in the Champions League but we couldn’t fulfil that. But I’m happy with the last half-year, I did it with a lot of joy.

‘We must face facts; by Chelsea’s standards it’s been a season with exception. It’s not enough for Chelsea. It’s now relatively quiet at the club but we have to go on and be competitive next season.’

Since returning from injury at Bournemouth last month Eden Hazard has been in fine form and, after scoring a stunning goal in the 2-2 draw against Tottenham recently, he did it again against Liverpool in midweek.

Hiddink believes the campaign may have been different, both for Hazard and the team, if the winger hadn’t been so unlucky with injuries.

‘I’m pleased for this moment but I would have been more pleased if it had happened in February,’ he said. ‘After a splendid season before he’s had a difficult season, falling back into injuries, being close to good appearances and then falling back again.

‘He wasn’t just suffering physically but also mentally as well. We brought him back in with care, starting with a full game against Bournemouth and then a half in a more intense game against Tottenham. I think we can be very happy with him but he can improve when he gets more game-time in the upcoming months.

‘First of all it’s important for him and Chelsea that he’s almost back at the level he can play. He’s enjoying it, which is also important when you have been in a difficult period, so that’s good for the future. He’s one of the key figures for Chelsea, not just him because that would be too much of a burden, but on top of a very well organised foundation he can be the man who makes a lot of difference in the game.’

With regards to squad news ahead of Sunday’s match, Hiddink reported that Thibaut Courtois is able to play having missed the game at Liverpool due to illness, while a decision is still to be made on the availability of Branislav Ivanovic.

Diego Costa, however, will definitely miss out with a hamstring problem, according to the Blues boss.

‘He needs a good rest and with training he might be fit for the Euros but I’m not sure,’ he said.

Having given 18-year-old Tammy Abraham his debut on Wednesday, as well as naming Kasey Palmer and Fikayo Tomori on the bench, Hiddink was asked about the possibility of any youngsters starting on Sunday.

‘They must deserve it,’ he added. ‘They deserve it by working but it’s a rather huge step to make and some need a little bit more time to practice with the first team.

‘Recently we integrated Kasey Palmer with the first team but then they have to make a step, like Traore has done in the last half-year, more towards men’s football. Abraham has done it because he’s very open with his mentality and he works hard. He’s not afraid to come in.

‘We have talents in our Academy but that’s the start, not the end. It’s the start of working very hard and the players have to overcome the first period when they practice with the big guys. I’m not going to expose players at this moment.’

With our opponents securing the Premier League title at the start of last week, Hiddink also explained why his players will show due respect and form a guard of honour ahead of kick-off on Sunday.

‘They were surprisingly in first position and in the last two months, when everyone was writing about them winning the title, they reacted without fear,’ he explained.

‘They enjoyed the moment, it was well managed, they didn’t implode with the huge expectation when everybody said they would be champions and it was a good performance.’

chelseafc.com

Life after:Hiddink

News Sat 14 May 2016  

Guus Hiddink has shared a little insight into what the future holds for him after Sunday’s game against Leicester City.

That will be the last one in charge of the team for the man who took over for a second time back in December, and although he has indicated he might have some part to play in the future at Chelsea, his day to day involvement is coming to an end.

‘I will be a few days more in Cobham to clear the office of course, it is chaotic,’ he smiled, ‘and then I go back to Amsterdam and then to France where I will follow the Euros a bit and do some TV work, and then the new season is starting and I will be curious about how the Premier League is going to go as a lot of changes are going to happen I think.

‘There are a lot of changes in management positions so that will bring other influences, and there is more money for the, with all respect, lesser clubs to sign players, so the coming time in the Premier League will be very attractive.’

Despite this season showing quite clearly that a status quo at the top of the league table can be challenged, Hiddink anticipates a response from the regularly leading sides.   

‘It might be a warning that they were caught out by Leicester and Spurs,’ he said, ‘so they have to be on their toes and I think they will be.’

chelseafc.com

• 1 month later...

Rumour has it he wants the England job.

Would have been a brilliant appointment in the 00s, but now I'd prefer Big Sam, England need to start building from the back and if his recent spell here is anything to go by, that man isn't Guus.

Not to mention his awful international record since leaving Russia.

On 7/5/2016 at 0:36 AM, Tomo said:

Would have been a brilliant appointment in the 00s, but now I'd prefer Big Sam, England need to start building from the back and if his recent spell here is anything to go by, that man isn't Guus.

I'd say Van Gaal. :ph34r:

On 7/4/2016 at 0:36 PM, Tomo said:

Building from the back, skipping the midfield, and straight to the big number nine.

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

Building from the back, skipping the midfield, and straight to the big number nine.

Big Sam shown at Bolton that season with Okocha and Djorkeaf, along with that season at West Ham with Sakho and Valencia that he can and will play good football when he has the resources and isn't all about hoof ball.

23 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Big Sam shown at Bolton that season with Okocha and Djorkeaf, along with that season at West Ham with Sakho and Valencia that he can and will play good football when he has the resources and isn't all about hoof ball.

He can't buy new players for England. Good luck with finding the English equivalents of Okocha and Djorkaef