Everton v Chelsea

Jase

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could he remember now how to protect our defense to the maximum as he did last season?

While I don't have all the answers to our current problems one of the big ones is that. I don't think it's his entire responsibility to cover for our deficient defense, but we miss it because we're just exposed now that our defense is relying basically on their (lack of) capability of defending.

Zouma has been our best defender in those five rounds imo. We scream about Iva, but Azpili hasn't been nearly as good defensively as he used too, Cahill wasn't too bad, but he's never too good either and Terry had ups and downs.

Still...Azpi is probably our ray of hope in defense with zouma

could he remember now how to protect our defense to the maximum as he did last season?

While I don't have all the answers to our current problems one of the big ones is that. I don't think it's his entire responsibility to cover for our deficient defense, but we miss it because we're just exposed now that our defense is relying basically on their (lack of) capability of defending.

Zouma has been our best defender in those five rounds imo. We scream about Iva, but Azpili hasn't been nearly as good defensively as he used too, Cahill wasn't too bad, but he's never too good either and Terry had ups and downs.

Yeah, I've been saying that since the beginning of the year. Matic's level seriously dropped after an excellent 2014.

The whole team is just a mess right now. Disjointed.

There is just such a mismatch. Great pass and move players such as Fabregas, Hazard & Pedro, but then you throw in a midfield with Mikel & Matic who lack the creativity to distribute it to the attacking players. You also have Costa, who is an animal but limited technically and creatively, and you suddenly are unable to neither bully nor out-pass the opposition.

Whats the game-plan here? Ivanovic and Terry are old-school defenders who both need very specific circumstances to shine, but the team keep adding on players that require a different style of football to have an impact. We cant have it both ways. Im genuinely worried that this will get progressively worse.

Then again, if we could replace those two defenders with Baba (KIA?) and Stones/Varane/Laporte it would look much better. We _really_ need to change the midfield. Matic should be our anchor, and have a more creative yet defensively capable player next to him, Koke strikes me as the ideal candidate.

I honestly have problems seeing a place for Fabregas in the team. He cant play next to Matic, as he is a liability against every team that has a higher quality of players, and I have yet to see him have a good game as a 10. Mikel needs to go.

For the attacking midfielders there needs to be at least one big purchase. Hazard and Pedro I'm happy with, but either Oscar or Willian needs to be replaced. There is a real chance that either Götze or Isco will be sold next summer, Chelsea should be looking in that direction, just as in the direction of Pogba and Koke.

Ive also had more and more doubts about Costa. Its kinda been there from the beginning, but he kept getting his goals in PL and it was easy to forget, but he seems too clumsy and hot-blooded to be put in the category of a "world-class" striker. He does not require replacement just yet, but some monitoring needs to be done here. His injuries are also a source of concern.

Yeah, I've been saying that since the beginning of the year. Matic's level seriously dropped after an excellent 2014.

The whole team is just a mess right now. Disjointed.

The thing is, I think is unfair to demand him to do it like that. We can hope, but no defense in a top team in the world should require that much protection.

It's almost like leaving a one-year old on his own, you know. They don't know the basic or fail to do the basic and then we must hope and pray our DM saves the day. There's so much is fair to demand from him, but we really miss his best days.

Fabregas has played better in possession today, but offers NOTHING to any aspect of our defensive game when playing as a 10: he leaves the defensive-midfield completely exposed.

Mikel is no improvement over Fabregas in the pivot because he is incapable of offering us the one key attribute that Fabregas lacks: mobility.

Ivanovic has been awful so far: surprise!

For all that people have bashed Willian's attacking contributions over the past few games (and done so with justification), our attacking play in the final-third shows little improvement without him.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: we NEED to have one of either Oscar or Willian (or both) on the pitch in games such as these; they are the only players in our squad with playing-styles that are sufficiently well-rounded to allow them to link our play together and contribute to both attack and defence.

Despite all of the above, I'm actually quite optimistic for the second-half: Everton's defending (Stones aside) has not impressed me. We can score more goals here.

There is just such a mismatch. Great pass and move players such as Fabregas, Hazard & Pedro, but then you throw in a midfield with Mikel & Matic who lack the creativity to distribute it to the attacking players. You also have Costa, who is an animal but limited technically and creatively, and you suddenly are unable to neither bully nor out-pass the opposition.

Whats the game-plan here? Ivanovic and Terry are old-school defenders who both need very specific circumstances to shine, but the team keep adding on players that require a different style of football to have an impact. We cant have it both ways. Im genuinely worried that this will get progressively worse.

Then again, if we could replace those two defenders with Baba (KIA?) and Stones/Varane/Laporte it would look much better. We _really_ need to change the midfield. Matic should be our anchor, and have a more creative yet defensively capable player next to him, Koke strikes me as the ideal candidate.

I honestly have problems seeing a place for Fabregas in the team. He cant play next to Matic, as he is a liability against every team that has a higher quality of players, and I have yet to see him have a good game as a 10. Mikel needs to go.

For the attacking midfielders there needs to be at least one big purchase. Hazard and Pedro I'm happy with, but either Oscar or Willian needs to be replaced. There is a real chance that either Götze or Isco will be sold next summer, Chelsea should be looking in that direction, just as in the direction of Pogba and Koke.

Ive also had more and more doubts about Costa. Its kinda been there from the beginning, but he kept getting his goals in PL and it was easy to forget, but he seems too clumsy and hot-blooded to be put in the category of a "world-class" striker. He does not require replacement just yet, but some monitoring needs to be done here. His injuries are also a source of concern.

Stop panicking, we're going through a slump and soon this will all be forgotten. I just think the players need to wake up. We have good depth. Its just not clicking for us at the moment.