Ashley Cole

Madmax

Retarted jounalist. Saying Roman has a rule saying that anyone over 30 can only sign a 1 year deal.

Lampard signed a 5 year deal in 08 when he had turned 30.. :doh:

He must have thought we were doing an Arsenal. And we gave Malouda 3-4 years contract 2 years ago when he turned 30...

The way I see it we have three options with Cole: a one year deal with his current wages matched and yet another season as our first choice left-back, a two year deal with a wage cut and a smaller role or if he won't accept either one of those then he can go next summer when his current deal is expiring. Bertrand is already an excellent player and will keep on improving so I'm not too worried if Cole were to leave.

In my opinion, aside from when Lahm is playing at left-back, Cole is still the best LB in the world when on form.

However; despite all the tweets to Arsenal fans, passion shown on the pitch etc, it's always felt to me that he's really an Arsenal boy at heart.

I know; not every player we sign can support Chelsea, but due to the above, I somehow don't feel any 'love' for him like I do for our other players. It's never felt like he is Chelsea to me.

I'll be very happy if he stays a while longer if he continues to be great for us playing-wise, but if he leaves, I'm fine with it as long as Bertrand looks good enough and ready to step up properly.

In my opinion, aside from when Lahm is playing at left-back, Cole is still the best LB in the world when on form.

However; despite all the tweets to Arsenal fans, passion shown on the pitch etc, it's always felt to me that he's really an Arsenal boy at heart.

I know; not every player we sign can support Chelsea, but due to the above, I somehow don't feel any 'love' for him like I do for our other players. It's never felt like he is Chelsea to me.

I'll be very happy if he stays a while longer if he continues to be great for us playing-wise, but if he leaves, I'm fine with it as long as Bertrand looks good enough and ready to step up properly.

You haven't been reading his tweets lately. He has been making fun of le arse's non-trophy run as of late xD

The way I see it we have three options with Cole: a one year deal with his current wages matched and yet another season as our first choice left-back, a two year deal with a wage cut and a smaller role or if he won't accept either one of those then he can go next summer when his current deal is expiring. Bertrand is already an excellent player and will keep on improving so I'm not too worried if Cole were to leave.

good options ...one year rolling contracts

Retarted jounalist. Saying Roman has a rule saying that anyone over 30 can only sign a 1 year deal.

Lampard signed a 5 year deal in 08 when he had turned 30.. :doh:

That was in 2009 not 2008 and it was a 4 year deal that expires in June 2013. He was all set to quit Chelsea after we won the FA Cup and wanted a long term deal but club wanted to give him a 2 year deal finally the club relented and offered him 4 years. But from 2010 onwards after Lamprd situation the club decided to not give long term contracts for 30+ players. Ballack and Drogba wanted 2 year deals and club offered them one year deal. Both were let go as the club refused to budge

Note that Ancelotti had put in a word for Ballack but board didnt bother to give him 2 years.

That was in 2009 not 2008 and it was a 4 year deal that expires in June 2013. He was all set to quit Chelsea after we won the FA Cup and wanted a long term deal but club wanted to give him a 2 year deal finally the club relented and offered him 4 years. But from 2010 onwards after Lamprd situation the club decided to not give long term contracts for 30+ players. Ballack and Drogba wanted 2 year deals and club offered them one year deal. Both were let go as the club refused to budge

Note that Ancelotti had put in a word for Ballack but board didnt bother to give him 2 years.

It was '08. After his mum died and after he got back from China tour,

A five-year deal was signed in the summer of 2008, - chelseafc.com.

My comment did seem take it a while back before the ruIe actually applied most probably

It was '08. After his mum died and after he got back from China tour,

A five-year deal was signed in the summer of 2008, - chelseafc.com.

My comment did seem take it a while back before the ruIe actually applied most probably

My bad. You are right. But the point is, after Lampard's situation the club took a firm stance on not giving 30+ players long term deals.

http://www.thefa.com/England/News/2012/john-terry-ashley-cole-update

Cole has been ruled out of England's WCQ against Ukraine on Tuesday, according to the FA. Still recovering from the ankle injury he picked up. Hope it's nothing too serious.

And Terry is still receiving treatment on his injury from yesterday.